Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Web Development | ASP.NET vs PHP

AuthorMessageTime
DecA
[color=Pink]ASP.NET or PHP ? what are some pros and cons of each ?

Wich is better in your opnion, and why[/color]
December 7, 2004, 12:40 AM
peofeoknight
Asp.net, and here is why.  [list][li]Asp.net is just as fast as php if not faster because of the fact that it is compiled on application start, similar to jsp.[/li][li]Asp.net can offer better language flexibility then php as php can only be done in one language and asp.net can be done in a great many (vb.net, c#, j#, c++.net, and several others).[/li]
[li]Asp.net also has the advantages of asp classic, one of such is application wide variables.[/li]
[li]Asp.net now has lots of integrated controls which can make coding much easier, such as the repeater. The repeater control will loop and print data with the developer only having to set which data set to get it from, this saves you between 5 and 10 lines of code depending on what you are trying to do. There are other controls that do things like this too, which makes life easier.[/li]
[li]Asp.net is now quasi event oriented with its controls, it leaves the developer not having to deal with form actions anymore, which saves more code. A developer of course can always go back to that classic style of conding if he or she wants to in order to regain some control[/li]
[/list]

Php has the one big advantage of being fully cross platform compadable. It is of course now object oriented too, so I cannot say asp.net has that over php (but there is still that fact that php is just server parsed html). But asp.net is free to use, it can be done in any text editer. You do not even need windows to run asp.net, mono allows it to run on mac, unix, linux, and lesser versions of windows for free, but it is not 100% compete for every language yet. B8ut do not count on mono going away as if microsoft touches it novell is going to take microsoft to court on anti trust charges for this and several other things.
December 7, 2004, 1:17 AM
Mr. Neo
I prefer to use PHP for web development.  To me, PHP was a lot easier to learn as I come from a Perl background.  Much of the base syntax and functions were very similar to Perl, which made it a lot easier to pick up on.  Another reason I prefer to use PHP is that I do most of my developing on a Windows machine and I actually host on a Linux server.  I needed something more cross-platform compliant than ASP.NET.  

Which you use, will depend on what your more familiar with and what platform you plan to deploy on.
December 7, 2004, 1:29 AM
peofeoknight
The stuff about php being easier to learn though is not really provable unless you know both. I would tend to believe otherwise, as I listed above language flexibility is something that asp.net has that php cannot offer. If you know vb, you can pickup vb.net and be running with it in days. If you know java you can use j# or c#, if you know delphi, you can use that, c++, you can use that, and so on. If you have past experience Asp.net will have a syntax you are familiar with.

Also with asp.net: You will most likely be hosted on a windows server because of the lack of compadability, so a situation like yours would not arrise.
December 7, 2004, 1:45 AM
Mr. Neo
True, if you were to be using ASP.NET you would most likely be on a Windows server.  If he would have specified that he was planning to use a Windows host, and not even consider a Linux solution, then a situation like mine wouldn't occur.  But since he left that part open-ended, the situation had to be brought up.

I was unaware of the fact that with ASP.NET you could use vb.net and such.  I always thought that ASP.NET was just classic ASP with a layer to interact with the .NET CLR (?).  You learn something new everyday I guess :).

Im a bit confused on one point though, is the entire ASP.NET application server-side or does it require the enduser to have the .NET Framework installed on their machine?
December 7, 2004, 2:12 AM
St0rm.iD
ASP.NET is superior in every regard except for portability and prevalence on cheap/free web hosts.

It's easy for VB'ers.
December 7, 2004, 3:41 AM
hismajesty
PHP, but only because I don't know ASP.NET, though I do have a rather large book that I should read.
December 7, 2004, 11:28 AM
St0rm.iD
- asp.net has better performance
- asp.net has better code reuse = faster devel time
- asp.net has support from major companies, thus has superior tools/job markets
- asp.net has the power of the whole .NET library behind it
December 7, 2004, 12:07 PM
DecA
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=9803.msg91360#msg91360 date=1102418915]
PHP, but only because I don't know ASP.NET, though I do have a rather large book that I should read.
[/quote]
[color=Pink]

Hahaha, i laughed so hard when i read that, becasue i saw that book on your desk, its like 1500+ peages~[/color]
December 7, 2004, 12:35 PM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Banana fanna fo fanna link=topic=9803.msg91363#msg91363 date=1102421236]
[/quote]
asp classic was always know as a buisiness server side lang. Even to this day a majority of corperate sites are using asp classic. All of these sites are going to need to upgrade in the future and are night now on the old technology. They are really starting to make the switch right now, so finding work as an asp.net developer is easier to do then if you use the other langs. Even asp classic. Thought everything helps.
December 8, 2004, 2:15 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=quasi-modo link=topic=9803.msg91452#msg91452 date=1102472115]
[quote author=Banana fanna fo fanna link=topic=9803.msg91363#msg91363 date=1102421236]
[/quote]
asp classic was always know as a buisiness server side lang. Even to this day a majority of corperate sites are using asp classic. All of these sites are going to need to upgrade in the future and are night now on the old technology. They are really starting to make the switch right now, so finding work as an asp.net developer is easier to do then if you use the other langs. Even asp classic. Thought everything helps.
[/quote]

Ahhh the good old days of ASP classic.  I once made my clan's site out of ASP....  A good majority of the pages were only 7 lines long, which was enough to skin the site and load the static content from the database.  Then I had the one skinning processor, which was 27kb....  ;)  All JScript too!  :D
December 8, 2004, 2:50 AM
peofeoknight
Well now you can make a site fully skinnable for the user and even have it compiled. All you need is a css file and you are good to go. Look at www.csszengarden.com , every design on there uses the same markup.
December 9, 2004, 2:08 AM
Black4C6F747573
I've heard alot of good things about asp, but I code in C, so I went with PHP.  Previous background in VB i hear is reccommended for asp.  GL
December 9, 2004, 3:02 PM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Black4C6F747573 link=topic=9803.msg91625#msg91625 date=1102604524]
I've heard alot of good things about asp, but I code in C, so I went with PHP.  Previous background in VB i hear is reccommended for asp.  GL
[/quote] Asp.net != asp classic. Just because you know c and not vb does not bar you by any means form using asp.net, whatever happened to c#, j#, c++.net, and all of the other wonderful langs to choose from when coding asp.net?
December 10, 2004, 3:29 AM

Search