Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Excess of Grok | Urban Meyer to Coach Notre Dame?

AuthorMessageTime
Slaughter
After Notre Dame fired Tyrone Willingham yesterday, there is some talk of Notre Dame seeking Urban Meyer.
December 1, 2004, 3:41 PM
DrivE
There is also talk Meyer would come to Florida.
December 1, 2004, 9:18 PM
Slaughter
If only he would...
December 2, 2004, 3:02 PM
Grok
I would not get all excited about Urban Meyer yet.  Remember it was just 4 years ago that "Tyrone Willingham" was the next Mesiah of Notre Dame football.  Meyer is at a second-tier school playing second-tier opposition.  He has good players and a good scheme, and is outclassing, out coaching and his players are better conditioned than their average opponents.

Put him in a conference where nearly every week your players have a battle, and he will see how easy it is to lose a game.  The PAC 10 was a joke when Tyrone Willingham was winning at UCLA.  It meant nothing in reality.  At Notre Dame they are a target every week.  It just proved he coached very good compared to the rest of the PAC 10 at the time.
December 2, 2004, 8:27 PM
DarkMinion
Florida is no longer the job it used to be, neither is Notre Dame.  If I was Urban Meyer I'd almost consider going to Ole Miss instead of either of those schools.
December 3, 2004, 1:22 AM
DrivE
No school's program is what it used to be, its the way of all things.
December 3, 2004, 1:39 AM
DarkMinion
You take what I say way too literally.  I should've said (so you could understand) that neither job is as prestigious as it used to be...
December 3, 2004, 3:38 AM
Slaughter
Speaking of the prestige of Florida football... I think it's a mistake for Steve Spurrier to take up coaching South Carolina... They are a trash team all around -- perhaps he can pull them out of the hole..
December 3, 2004, 4:17 AM
DarkMinion
South Carolina has just enough prestige and enough money to lure someone like Steve Spurrier...it's a good move for him, if he can put Florida on the map, he can do it at SC.
December 3, 2004, 4:49 AM
DrivE
Florida was on the map before the ol' ballcoach.
December 4, 2004, 5:27 AM
Grok
[quote author=Hazard link=topic=9741.msg90987#msg90987 date=1102138046]
Florida was on the map before the ol' ballcoach.
[/quote]

Assuming we are talking about college football ... how many SEC championships did they win before Spurrier arrived?
December 5, 2004, 7:35 PM
DrivE
You're saying Florida was virtually unknown before Spurrier and that just isn't true, its got a great tradition and a long history. SEC titles have little to do with it. Florida had Heisman trophy winners well before Spurrier's reign as coach, hell Spurrier won a Heisman there in 1966. Also, in 1969 Florida was the first school to offer a full scholarship to an African-American player, who coincidently went to my high school.
December 5, 2004, 9:18 PM
Grok
Florida had tradition before Spurrier alright.  It was the school famous for "The Florida Flop".  Other than that, what tradition?  Notre Dame has tradition, Michigan and USC have tradition.  Bama has tradition.  Georgia.  But Florida?  None.  FSU had no tradition until the 90s.  UF and FSU were not on the college football map until recently.

And to say "Florida had Heisman trophy winners before Spurrier's reign as coach", well that's simply not true.  They had 1, and that was Spurrier.  So when you try to show Florida had tradition that had nothing to do with Spurrier, you have to use Spurrier as the example?  Face it, Florida had nothing before or since Spurrier.
December 6, 2004, 8:02 AM
DrivE
DM just said that without Spurrier as a coach, Florida was not known and that just isn't true. Look up the history. One name for you, Leonard George.
December 6, 2004, 11:43 PM
indulgence
Florida was the 1984 SEC Champion, but it was stripped for cheating :x
December 8, 2004, 10:58 PM

Search