Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Politics | Why do you hate Sweden and do you think we should bomb them?

AuthorMessageTime
TheMinistered
Tell me why you hate sweden and if you think we should bomb them!
November 27, 2004, 6:36 PM
peofeoknight
I kinda like sweeden.
November 27, 2004, 7:57 PM
Yoni
Sweden is awesome. Did you know they don't have to pay for their first degree studies? That rocks.
November 27, 2004, 8:40 PM
St0rm.iD
They're hoarding all the hott chicks!
November 28, 2004, 12:02 AM
LW-Falcon
[quote author=Banana fanna fo fanna link=topic=9696.msg90307#msg90307 date=1101600121]
[/quote]
lies -_-
November 28, 2004, 1:04 AM
hismajesty
They got Adron. :(
November 28, 2004, 2:17 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Banana fanna fo fanna link=topic=9696.msg90307#msg90307 date=1101600121]
[/quote] asia has plenty of those too though.
November 28, 2004, 7:54 AM
DrivE
The University of Southern California is actually the place hoarding all the hotties.
November 28, 2004, 1:57 PM
Adron
The government sponsors torture.

Perhaps some bombs would help them change their mind.
November 28, 2004, 6:41 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
Marijuanna is legal, and they have loads of hot women. Best reasons of all.................oh yea i spose ill count Adron as well:P
November 28, 2004, 8:51 PM
DrivE
You like it because drugs are legal? Thats typical.
November 29, 2004, 12:10 AM
peofeoknight
My opinion on drugs: I feel that if you posess small ammounts of drugs you should not be arrested. I feel that drugs in small ammounts should warrent a stiff fine. The reason for this is because it is causeing some strain on our system. This is not to say that people with larger ammounts, those who are trafficing should not get a punishment. I am also not sure if I agree with mandetory minimum sentances because they impede the war on drugs. They take away any incentive for a low level trafficer to rat out the people above him in the totem pole.
November 29, 2004, 3:53 AM
Arta
I think we should legalise the whole lot, tax it, impose standards on safety, challenge drug dealing as what it is: an industry. Provide a safer, cheaper alternative to black market drugs, which would eliminate the crime aspect entirely, and would raise revenue to help people who end up abusing drugs. For those who claim that is ridiculous, just  look (in the UK anyway) at the amount of money spent on anti-smoking campaigns and social services that revolve around alcoholics.

In short: Provide a safe way for people to do what they want to their bodies while at the same time raising money to help them stop it :)
November 29, 2004, 4:42 AM
DrivE
Arta in that case wouldn't you be supporting the spread of even more possibly lethal drugs onto the market?
November 29, 2004, 12:09 PM
Arta
Unlikely. While most drugs are harmful, very few are actually lethal to the extent that you die if you take them, assuming you use the correct dosage. If they were, people wouldn't take them. Therein lies the problem that legalisation would solve: Drugs of medicinal quality have no poisonous contaminents (illegal drugs often do) and because they have been properly produced, you can control dosage very accurately, which you generally can't with illegal drugs because you never know what you're getting.

I'm quite sure that legalisation would make even the worst drugs safer than they are now.
November 29, 2004, 6:47 PM
DrivE
But why should we allow such harmful drugs on the market? What are the possible positive effects that will arise from drug legalization? I'm not talking about economy, I'm talking about for individuals. What good can illegal drugs do for you? Do they have any sort of medicinal use? No. Do they cure or control diseases? No. They have no real positive effects. Medicinal drugs fulfill the role of having a positive effect, so they don't even compare.
November 29, 2004, 9:18 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
[quote author=Hazard link=topic=9696.msg90389#msg90389 date=1101687016]
[/quote]
I wouldnt class Weed as a drug, more as a relaxant!
November 29, 2004, 9:23 PM
hismajesty
[quote author=Meh link=topic=9696.msg90465#msg90465 date=1101763405]
[quote author=Hazard link=topic=9696.msg90389#msg90389 date=1101687016]
[/quote]
I wouldnt class Weed as a drug, more as a relaxant!
[/quote]

Well, then, you'd be wrong. Anything that alters the bodys normal functions is considered a drug.
November 29, 2004, 10:31 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
ok, its not a "nasty" drug.
November 29, 2004, 10:47 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=Hazard link=topic=9696.msg90463#msg90463 date=1101763117]
But why should we allow such harmful drugs on the market? What are the possible positive effects that will arise from drug legalization? I'm not talking about economy, I'm talking about for individuals. What good can illegal drugs do for you? Do they have any sort of medicinal use? No. Do they cure or control diseases? No. They have no real positive effects. Medicinal drugs fulfill the role of having a positive effect, so they don't even compare.
[/quote]
Smoking is the same, yet it's legal, same with drinking. With drugs, people will just kill themselves off faster.

I think legalizing drugs and allowing large corporations to sell drugs with some sort of standard is a great idea, and I'll put money on european countries doing it first.

[quote author=j0k3r link=topic=9670.msg90046#msg90046 date=1101440969]
I forgot where I saw it [edit]hey, it was this thread[/edit], but somebody said that legalizing it and making it commercial available would be good. It would be very similar to cigarrettes, the government would tax it (and profit greatly), it would be safer to smoke (health guidelines put in place), and there would be less crime associated with it (large companies would quickly replace dealers/growers).
[/quote]
November 29, 2004, 11:04 PM
Myndfyr
I don't hate Sweden; in fact, I sent some Swedish guy a copy of VS.NET 2003.  ;)
November 29, 2004, 11:23 PM
DrivE
Thank you for walking into my trap and saying that jok3r. Alcohol and tobacco are fine ways of killing yourself slowly and, if taken in large quantities, can kill you instantly. But that isn't a valid reason to legalize MORE things that can kill you. Just because owning firearms is legal doesn't mean that we should legalize owning flak cannons and SCUD missle launchers, since firearms are already legal. Adding to the problem will not fix the problem.
November 30, 2004, 12:10 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=9696.msg90454#msg90454 date=1101754046]
Unlikely. While most drugs are harmful, very few are actually lethal to the extent that you die if you take them, assuming you use the correct dosage. If they were, people wouldn't take them. Therein lies the problem that legalisation would solve: Drugs of medicinal quality have no poisonous contaminents (illegal drugs often do) and because they have been properly produced, you can control dosage very accurately, which you generally can't with illegal drugs because you never know what you're getting.

I'm quite sure that legalisation would make even the worst drugs safer than they are now.
[/quote] I do not buy into medicinal drugs. Why would you use pot to relieve the pain when there are plenty of good perscription drugs that will do it better? I just feel that small quantitities of drugs should not get you arrested and not get you a day in court, that is a burdon on the system. I feel that we should impose a strict fine to first and even second time offenders before we arrest them for the possession or use of small ammounts of drugs. If they are trafficing the existing laws should still apply and if they are driving under the influence of the drug the laws should apply as they are.
November 30, 2004, 1:06 AM
Arta
[quote author=Hazard link=topic=9696.msg90463#msg90463 date=1101763117]
[/quote]

The question isn't what good they do to individuals, it's what harm they do. Of course it would be best if no one took hard drugs, but it's just a fact of life that some people do. Given that, why not try to make this terrible situation a bit better by making people safer and raising money to help solve the problem?

Quasi: I believe that many of the people who use pot medicinally find that conventional painkillers are ineffective -- usually for specific conditions, such as MS. I see where you're coming from with fines and soforth, but it seems far more logical to let people take drugs if they want to, but to do so within a framework that benefits society rather than harming it.
November 30, 2004, 1:56 AM
DrivE
I can put your same argument to gun control. I'll use your wording as a frame for it:

Of course, it would be best if nobody used guns for evil, but it's just a fact of life that some people do. Given that, why not try to make this terrible situation a bit better by making people safer and raising money to help solve the problem?
November 30, 2004, 2:40 AM
j0k3r
The difference between guns and drugs is that one is destructive to others and the other is self destructive. Sure they both can be used the other way, but generally speaking...

I don't see a strong argument against giving people the choice to do as they wish to themselves. Drugs can be just as slow at killing people as alcohol or tobacco, and they would be a hell of a lot safer than they are now. Educate people on what they're doing, impose strong laws and strong punishments for breaking those laws, and let people do what they want.
November 30, 2004, 4:24 AM
DrivE
Safer, maybe, and I stress MAYBE but still dangerous. Having things that are already dangerous out there does not mean we should go out and make more of these dangerous things legal.
November 30, 2004, 12:14 PM
j0k3r
I go back to what I said about people getting it whether it's legal or not. Heroine users will get heroine no matter what the cost, and sharing needles causes problems. If heroine were made "legal" (I've already read about this somewhere), they would have "heroine centers" with medically supervised staff giving proper advice and counselling. This removes needle sharing, allows for a cleaner drug, educates people, and allows for possible tracking of users and whatnot.

Drugs are already readily available anywhere. I'm convinced that I could even find someone online that would sell me drugs if I travelled to the US wanted them. People have already made the choice whether to do them or not, and education can only help the problem I'm sure. Having legal drugs will eliminate most dealers because of competition, and you can regulate them (legal buying age 21, big punishments, less kids doing it).

In case you doubted if education would prevent people from doing drugs, let me tell you a story. On halloween I did drug x, it was a blast, I had spent a few hours prior reading about it, and wasn't disappointed. The next day I felt like crap, and had another dose of drug x ready for consumption. I talked to some friends, and read some more about it, and learned just how harmful it is to you and what the possible effects of it are. Being able to relate what I was already experiencing and weighing what else could happen, I did not do drug x that day. I believe that nothing but good can come out of drug education, and remaining ignorant is not a possibility.
November 30, 2004, 1:02 PM
Grok
Is this thread arguing the legality of illicit drugs in Sweden, or in your own provinces?

P.S.  Who is this Adron fellow?  :p
November 30, 2004, 11:04 PM
Archonist
[quote author=quasi-modo link=topic=9696.msg90498#msg90498 date=1101776773]
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=9696.msg90454#msg90454 date=1101754046]

[/quote] I do not buy into medicinal drugs. Why would you use pot to relieve the pain when there are plenty of good perscription drugs that will do it better? I just feel that small quantitities of drugs should not get you arrested and not get you a day in court, that is a burdon on the system. I feel that we should impose a strict fine to first and even second time offenders before we arrest them for the possession or use of small ammounts of drugs. If they are trafficing the existing laws should still apply and if they are driving under the influence of the drug the laws should apply as they are.
[/quote]

Because pot is easier to get than perscription drugs.
December 1, 2004, 1:15 AM
DrivE
Pot is not easier to get than prescription drugs, if you have a legitimate cause to get your prescription.
December 1, 2004, 2:20 AM
j0k3r
[quote author=steve[x86] link=topic=9696.msg90632#msg90632 date=1101863717]
Because pot is easier to get than perscription drugs.
[/quote]
All you have to do is go see a doctor. If you get pot, you have to go through the proccess of telling dealer you want it, if he has it great, if not you have to wait for him to get it. You also encounter other health hazards, such as lung cancer, possible psychosis, and other such problems associated with marijuana smoking. Then you have to worry about not getting caught. Marijuana *might* be easier to get in some cases, but I think the other things you have to go through counterbalance the initial effort.
December 1, 2004, 2:23 AM
Quarantine
My view on this: If you dont legalize it they are going to do it anyway , take now for example drugs are illegal do people still use them? Yes. Legalizing them provides them safely withought and eliminates the need for drug dealers . I agree with Arta and I think this is a great idea.
December 1, 2004, 3:07 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Warrior link=topic=9696.msg90648#msg90648 date=1101870436]
My view on this: If you dont legalize it they are going to do it anyway , take now for example drugs are illegal do people still use them? Yes. Legalizing them provides them safely withought and eliminates the need for drug dealers . I agree with Arta and I think this is a great idea.
[/quote] I do not believe that pot should be completely legallized, and it never will be either because it would step on a lot of toes in the legislature. I think that possession of small amounts of pot and some other substances should not be something you get arrested though for, right now that would mean it is a felony correct? It should be a misdemeanor with a large fine IMO.
December 1, 2004, 3:34 AM
hismajesty
It was legal in the US in the early 1900's.
December 1, 2004, 11:46 AM

Search