Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Canada

AuthorMessageTime
iago
The Canadian Government is planning on making Marijuana less illegal (decriminalized).
The Canadian Government is planning on making Trans Fat illegal.

Discuss.
November 25, 2004, 3:43 AM
j0k3r
What? I need an article, this is news.

Edit: Woot.
Edit2: Great thread name... Woot.
November 25, 2004, 3:46 AM
iago
About which part?

I dunno if they did it or going to do it, but I keep hearing about it
November 25, 2004, 3:49 AM
LW-Falcon
[quote author=iago link=topic=9670.msg89959#msg89959 date=1101354185]
The Canadian Government is planning on making Marijuana less illegal (decriminalized).
[/quote]
If they do, then I'm moving to Canada.
November 25, 2004, 4:34 AM
Hitmen
[quote author=Falcon[anti-yL] link=topic=9670.msg89963#msg89963 date=1101357273]
[/quote]
[/quote]
Or you could move to one of the states that decriminilized possession... google says: California, Colorado, Nebraska, New York, North Carolina, Maine, Minnesota, Ohio, and Oregon.
November 25, 2004, 5:52 AM
hismajesty
It's legal to posess it but not smoke it without a prescription? That really makes no sense. I don't do drugs, but ever since I did a research paper on Marijuana last year I've been for the legalization of it.
November 25, 2004, 6:06 AM
Archonist
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=9670.msg89971#msg89971 date=1101362774]
It's legal to posess it but not smoke it without a prescription? That really makes no sense. I don't do drugs, but ever since I did a research paper on Marijuana last year I've been for the legalization of it.
[/quote]

*cough*, but it's definatley not legal to have possession of it in new york.
November 25, 2004, 6:21 AM
The-Rabid-Lord
The Canadian Government is planning on making Trans Fat illegal.

Discuss.
[/quote]
They have done that in Britain. If police see you with it they just confiscate it instead of nick you.
November 25, 2004, 7:14 AM
LW-Falcon
[quote author=Hitmen link=topic=9670.msg89969#msg89969 date=1101361935]
[quote author=Falcon[anti-yL] link=topic=9670.msg89963#msg89963 date=1101357273]
[/quote]
[/quote]
Or you could move to one of the states that decriminilized possession... google says: California, Colorado, Nebraska, New York, North Carolina, Maine, Minnesota, Ohio, and Oregon.
[/quote]
Weed is cheaper in Canada anyways.
November 25, 2004, 7:21 AM
Mitosis
Druggys. Ya this has been discussed for quite some time now. I don't think they should ban snack machines from schools. that's kind of stupid. Half our cafeteria would be gone.
November 25, 2004, 3:37 PM
KkBlazekK
They already banned junk food in elementary schools in toronto. Me living right beside toronto thinks that that is unfair! Those kids have the right to be sugar high.  They havn't touched the middle/high schools yet.
November 25, 2004, 9:07 PM
j0k3r
I don't think they are going to touch high schools in Ontario/Toronto/GTA. There is a very low percentage (maybe 1%) of obese kids at my school, it isn't something that needs to be banned. Peer pressure, learning about nutrition, and low self esteem take care of high school students' weight.

Banning it in elementary schools I thought was a good idea, you have kids who have no concept of nutrition constantly eating junk food and creating unhealthy habbits and ruining their bodies. There was also those that buy junk food just because everyone else does, my sister being one.
November 25, 2004, 9:41 PM
iago
They aren't banning Junkfood across Canada, just Trans Fat.  Lays chips and New York Fries, for instance, contain no trans fats.  Trans fats are associated quite closely with heart disease and other bad things, and, if it's possible to make a product that is just as good without containing them (albeit a little expensive), I'm totally for it.
November 25, 2004, 11:17 PM
DrivE
[/quote]

Thats what Ralph Nader wants to do. It's stupid.

The following is what might occur:

Officer: Please, don't light that joint, not here.
Hippie: *Lights weed and takes a huge draw*
Officer: Sir, please, come on I'm asking you nicely.
Hippie: *Takes another draw* Hehehe you want some of dis man?
Officer: Oh, come on now thats just not...
Hippie: *Draw*
Officer: Aww shit look you're doin' it again.
etc, etc, etc.
November 26, 2004, 1:06 AM
Arta
In the UK, at any rate, that's totally untrue.

Cannabis is decriminalised, but all that means is that you can't be arrested for possesion alone. The police can (and routinely do) confiscate the cannabis, and you can still be arrested if you're causing a disturbance, and a few other things. Baiting an officer like that would obviously qualify.

No sane government would allow the scenario you proposed to take place.
November 26, 2004, 1:55 AM
iago
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=topic=9670.msg90030#msg90030 date=1101434156]
In the UK, at any rate, that's totally untrue.

Cannabis is decriminalised, but all that means is that you can't be arrested for possesion alone. The police can (and routinely do) confiscate the cannabis, and you can still be arrested if you're causing a disturbance, and a few other things. Baiting an officer like that would obviously qualify.

No sane government would allow the scenario you proposed to take place.
[/quote]

They have equated marijuana to a "Parking ticket".  If you park a car illegally in front of a police officer, he isn't going to throw you in jail; however, you will get a fine that you are expected to pay, as punishment.
November 26, 2004, 2:47 AM
DrivE
So they can just take it from you? So wait, you can't have it but you can't be punished for having it?
November 26, 2004, 2:55 AM
Arta
You can be arrested and charged. The police just aren't *required* to arrest you.

Simply put: People who have a small amount of cannabis that is obviously for personal use aren't arrested unless they're causing a problem. This is good. It prevents officers from having to do silly paperwork and waste time arresting someone who's obviously only going to get a slap on the wrist anyway. People who are causing trouble, who are dealing, who are carrying a large amount, can be and are arrested and dealt with accordingly.

I really don't see what the big deal is. You seem up in arms about it, as usual.
November 26, 2004, 3:03 AM
j0k3r
On another note, People who want it will get it, and will smoke it with or without the laws that are currently in place. I forgot where I saw it, but somebody said that legalizing it and making it commercial available would be good. It would be very similar to cigarrettes, the government would tax it (and profit greatly), it would be safer to smoke (health guidelines put in place), and there would be less crime associated with it (large companies would quickly replace dealers/growers).
November 26, 2004, 3:49 AM
The-Rabid-Lord
The problem is that they cant actually tax it as it is easy to grow. The goverment cant make mnoney on it so they wont make it illegal. Besides if it is made legal then people who smoke it as its banned will move on to harder drugs which the government wont want.
November 26, 2004, 8:10 AM
hismajesty
[quote author=Meh link=topic=9670.msg90063#msg90063 date=1101456617]
The problem is that they cant actually tax it as it is easy to grow. The goverment cant make mnoney on it so they wont make it illegal. Besides if it is made legal then people who smoke it as its banned will move on to harder drugs which the government wont want.
[/quote]

Why can't they tax it now? Isn't there a tax when you buy carrots, yet those are easy to grow...
November 26, 2004, 1:10 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=Meh link=topic=9670.msg90063#msg90063 date=1101456617]
[/quote]
So you disagree that it can (and very easily would) be done the same way as cigarrettes? If you have a major company growing thousands of pounds of it daily, the cost would be very low, allowing the government to add taxes on it and still keep it well below street price. I'd rather smoke government regulated and grown marijuana over home grown unless I was growing it myself.
November 26, 2004, 1:14 PM
iago
[quote author=j0k3r link=topic=9670.msg90046#msg90046 date=1101440969]
On another note, People who want it will get it, and will smoke it with or without the laws that are currently in place.
[/quote]

This is why I think that possession should be punishable by torture and death.
November 26, 2004, 6:43 PM

Search