Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Gaming Discussion | New Game: ScreenShot Included

AuthorMessageTime
TheMinistered
I've been working on a game for a while, I've got a lot of the networking code in place already.  Below is a screenshot of allright quality:

[img]http://www.acetransmissionexperts.com/ImageHosting/GameClientSS.JPG[/img]

Additionally, we are looking for programmers, concept artists, modelers, and anyone who can brainstorm up a hella-good idea!  You can contact me on aim (look in my profile) for additional information!
November 19, 2004, 12:29 AM
TheMinistered
Here are two more screenshots:

[img]http://imagehostingnow.cjb.net/GameClientSS3.JPG[/img]
[img]http://imagehostingnow.cjb.net/GameClientSS2.JPG[/img]
November 19, 2004, 12:47 AM
Mitosis
Hmm....doesn't look pleasing to me. Although this is just the begining to your imagination. I'm not going to say it won't get better which it probably will. Good job though. Keep up the good work.

-- You should work on the character modelling more, fix the body and stuff, add more textures and make everything look more realistic.

[EDIT]

I just over looked your castle walls...castles aren't built with the blocks perfectly in order, make them more 3d. Make them un even, have deformed blocks and everything. Make the grass have more shape to it and richness, such as soil showing and make strands going up.
November 19, 2004, 2:29 AM
Spht
I think that's a job well done.
November 19, 2004, 3:16 AM
KkBlazekK
Your models need a ton of more polygons...
November 19, 2004, 3:53 AM
UserLoser.
[quote author=Mitosis link=topic=9604.msg89324#msg89324 date=1100831395]
Hmm....doesn't look pleasing to me. Although this is just the begining to your imagination. I'm not going to say it won't get better which it probably will. Good job though. Keep up the good work.

-- You should work on the character modelling more, fix the body and stuff, add more textures and make everything look more realistic.

[EDIT]

I just over looked your castle walls...castles aren't built with the blocks perfectly in order, make them more 3d. Make them un even, have deformed blocks and everything. Make the grass have more shape to it and richness, such as soil showing and make strands going up.
[/quote]

I'm sure they would like to get the basics done before moving onto more advanced features, texturing, images, etc., in the game.  TheMinistered doesn't do the graphics, he's a programmer, too.
November 19, 2004, 4:02 AM
Quarantine
looking very good.
November 19, 2004, 4:43 AM
Vicious
You seem to be farther then a lot of other people who've tried to make a game. Don't give up. Keep going. Good luck.  :)
November 19, 2004, 11:21 AM
Mitosis
[quote author=UserLoser link=topic=9604.msg89337#msg89337
[EDIT]

[/quote]

I'm sure they would like to get the basics done before moving onto more advanced features, texturing, images, etc., in the game.  TheMinistered doesn't do the graphics, he's a programmer, too.
[quote][/quote]

I didn't know that, sheesh. Just giving my opinions.
November 19, 2004, 8:07 PM
LW-Falcon
Looks pretty good so far.
November 19, 2004, 10:33 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
I reckon an RPG is in the making, It looks like that kinda game.
November 19, 2004, 10:40 PM
KkBlazekK
Maybe even a mmorpg
November 20, 2004, 3:53 PM
TheMinistered
The general design concept is going to be a MMORPG, how massive it is? I dunno?  It depends on how many people want to play!  The networking code is about to be finished then cleaned up a little bit today-- I'm opening up a CVS as well for our developers.

Here is another screenshot:
[img]http://imagehostingnow.cjb.net/GameClientSS4.JPG[/img]
I was wondering if anyone would notice that I have dynamic shadows implemented in as well, they're the ownage :P
November 20, 2004, 4:12 PM
Spht
The most important thing is the game environment physics.  I would do that first, before texturing things and adding movement animations and such.

Write formulas to compute what slopes are "walkable" and how steep or high something has to be before you fall off it instead of walking off it.

Don't write code which says "this object is a staircase.  allow hero to walk on this."

You'll find that it becomes much easier to create "maps" when lots of effort went into how the hero interacts with a typical environment.  It also makes the game much more enjoyable for the player.
November 20, 2004, 4:23 PM
Atom
I am very interested, what language and what compiler? Are you sure you want to make another MMORPG? They all suck! I think a reg RPG would be much better.
November 21, 2004, 6:31 PM
Mitosis
WoW is amazing.
November 21, 2004, 6:39 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
[quote author=Mitosis link=topic=9604.msg89635#msg89635 date=1101062385]
WoW is amazing.
[/quote]
Dont turn this into a whats hot and whats not debate.
November 21, 2004, 7:22 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=Atom link=topic=9604.msg89634#msg89634 date=1101061869]
I am very interested, what language and what compiler? Are you sure you want to make another MMORPG? They all suck! I think a reg RPG would be much better.
[/quote]
It looks more like an MMORPG, RPGs generally have a linear story line, and from the given screenshots this one doesn't look like it has one, or will have one.
November 21, 2004, 9:21 PM
warz
[quote author=j0k3r link=topic=9604.msg89653#msg89653 date=1101072099]
[/quote]
It looks more like an MMORPG, RPGs generally have a linear story line, and from the given screenshots this one doesn't look like it has one, or will have one.
[/quote]

If you were to look at a screenshot of final fantasy, and had never played the game or heard of it, would you be able to describe the storyline?
November 22, 2004, 1:45 PM
KkBlazekK
Final Fantasys have crazy storylines, I can't remember what happened in any of them even though I have played about 4 of them.
November 23, 2004, 5:09 AM
j0k3r
[quote author=warz link=topic=9604.msg89709#msg89709 date=1101131132]
[quote author=j0k3r link=topic=9604.msg89653#msg89653 date=1101072099]
[/quote]
[/quote]

If you were to look at a screenshot of final fantasy, and had never played the game or heard of it, would you be able to describe the storyline?
[/quote]
I didn't say anything about describing the story line, I said you can generally tell whether a game is an MMORPG or regular RPG from the cities and such. Hell, that wasn't even the point I was trying to make. Take an in-town picture of World of Warcraft and compare to an in-town screenshot of diablo2. I'd say it is much more work to create a linear story line (Final Fantasy) than to make an MMORPG (Star Wars Galaxies).
November 26, 2004, 12:40 PM
R.a.B.B.i.T
What about something like the .hack games?  They are RPGs emulating MMORPGs.  Tricky, ain't it?

Anyways: good job so far TheMinistered + other people working on <insert name of game here>.  I'd like to get my hands on the first playable copy of this game :)
December 15, 2004, 2:46 AM
Skeptical
I would like to get a playable copy too also, I'm also not a graphics person, i prefer gameplay over graphics, and those graphics look great to me anyways! so please post when its at a playable standpoint
December 20, 2004, 8:37 PM
Newby
Sexy. ;)
December 27, 2004, 4:18 PM
Quarantine
Yea if its possible id like a copy :) looking good.
December 28, 2004, 4:31 AM
woodtroll
Instead of making it a 3rd person view game you should make it a one shooter, therfore you don't need to worry about alot except the area which you're playing in and making that area more realistic. But if you like those type of games then I'm all for it.
January 3, 2005, 11:47 PM
Grok
[quote author=Atom link=topic=9604.msg89634#msg89634 date=1101061869]Are you sure you want to make another MMORPG? They all suck![/quote]

D00d, you definitely have a career path available in gaming reviews!  The eloquent delivery of your play analysis has floored this gamer.
January 12, 2005, 5:18 PM
R.a.B.B.i.T
Grok: 1
Atom: 0
January 13, 2005, 2:03 AM
Yegg
I think that by the time enough people know about or have heard about your game and you've added tons of cool and fun RPG things to it, you could get one of the most popular RPG's out there. Look at Runescape (2), its characters look very similar to the characters in your game, Runescape gets played by sometimes 93000 users at the same time. I think your game could become popular like this with enough help from other people.
January 22, 2005, 11:52 PM
TheMinistered
I haven't worked on my game in a while, been busy with other fun things ;)  I will continue work on it sometime soon?
January 29, 2005, 11:44 PM
JoeTheOdd
[quote]I will continue work on it sometime soon?[/quote]Omg yesh! Yesh you will!

I'm glad someone brought up Runescape. It does look a lot like this. Also, this looks like another game I played once called Broomsticks 3D. It was pretty fun.
February 2, 2005, 11:21 PM

Search