Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Account Thief

AuthorMessageTime
TheMinistered
If someone downloaded a trojaned hack of sorts for World of Warcraft and their account's security was breached, by me for instance.  What type of actions could Blizzard take against me and/or the account owner?  I'm not asking if this is morally or ethically wrong-- I just want an answer to my question-- Thanks!
November 18, 2004, 10:57 PM
j0k3r
Read the TOS.
November 18, 2004, 10:58 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
I would have thought some kind of legal action, as its breach of contract and users right.

Edit: What kind of things did you do to the accounts may be something. If it was bad then your punishment if get one may be worse. You will probabley get banned from Bnet for a certain amount of time. Talk to Tagban. He should be able to advise you on this kind of thing. http://bnet.cc is his site.
November 18, 2004, 11:02 PM
iago
I find it unlikely they could take legal action. 
November 18, 2004, 11:23 PM
j0k3r
I recall an article that was posted here about someone in another country suing a company over loss of "intellectual property" and winning. If the person could prove it was you, he could probably sue you over it but it would be a hard case I'd imagine (as this doesn't often happen). If he couldn't sue you over that, he could probably charge you for intruding on his PC or something.
November 19, 2004, 12:06 AM
St0rm.iD
Looks to me like you're bragging.
November 19, 2004, 12:21 AM
LoRd
Blizzard wouldn't take action since the user broke the TOS by attempting to download such a program in the first place and since user accounts are property of Blizzard Entertainment, Blizzard is the only one who could sue over such a theft.  I'd assume that it'd be more likely to get sued by the user because of the fact that you gained illegal access to his system rather than by Blizzard for account theft.

Edit: Fixed because UserLoser loves to pick out the smallest of errors that don't make even the slightest of difference to the point of the post.
November 19, 2004, 12:24 AM
hismajesty
[quote author=j0k3r link=topic=9601.msg89304#msg89304 date=1100822761]
I recall an article that was posted here about someone in another country suing a company over loss of "intellectual property" and winning. If the person could prove it was you, he could probably sue you over it but it would be a hard case I'd imagine (as this doesn't often happen). If he couldn't sue you over that, he could probably charge you for intruding on his PC or something.
[/quote]

Because intellectual property is considered copyrighted, even if you haven't gone through the steps to officially copyright it.
November 19, 2004, 2:09 AM
Mitosis
WoW is completely different than Battle.net such as UserLosers statement. Why start hacking accounts on WoW? Why ruin it like people have ruined Battle.net. It's extremely pointless. Are you trying to hack people to get good characters? Well that's pathetic. Just quest, it takes time. Don't have to do it all at once. One of the great features I love about this game is that you cannot level up quickly by killing mobs like in Diablo. You really get to explore everything.
November 19, 2004, 2:26 AM
St0rm.iD
[quote author=Mitosis link=topic=9601.msg89322#msg89322 date=1100831196]
WoW is completely different than Battle.net such as UserLosers statement. Why start hacking accounts on WoW? Why ruin it like people have ruined Battle.net. It's extremely pointless. Are you trying to hack people to get good characters? Well that's pathetic. Just quest, it takes time. Don't have to do it all at once. One of the great features I love about this game is that you cannot level up quickly by killing mobs like in Diablo. You really get to explore everything.
[/quote]

Thanks jesus.
November 19, 2004, 3:18 AM
LoRd
[quote]WoW is completely different than Battle.net such as UserLosers statement.[/quote]

WoW is a game, not a service like Battle.net, so yes, the two are very different.
November 19, 2004, 8:45 AM
Arta
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=9601.msg89321#msg89321 date=1100830194]
[quote author=j0k3r link=topic=9601.msg89304#msg89304 date=1100822761]
[/quote]

Because intellectual property is considered copyrighted, even if you haven't gone through the steps to officially copyright it.
[/quote]

FYI, there aren't any steps to officially copyright something. Copyright doesn't require registration.
November 19, 2004, 12:54 PM
hismajesty
I meant to register your copyright with the United States Copyright Office.
November 19, 2004, 7:49 PM
LW-Falcon
Please don't be an ass and take other people's characters.
November 19, 2004, 10:28 PM
Mitosis
Yeah just because you suck and can't play the game!  :P But honestly, don't ruin something that's good. Don't turn this into geh bnet.
November 20, 2004, 12:16 AM
Spht
Laughed first time I read the post.  Assuming he's just mocking Denial...
November 20, 2004, 3:22 AM
hismajesty
I thought he was mocking Denial as well. :P
November 20, 2004, 1:38 PM
idoL
Don't complain about Battle.net, it's free. I mean.. if you do not like it you do not have the dissatisfaction that you payed for a crappy product. Do not use it if you do not like it.
November 20, 2004, 7:18 PM

Search