Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Politics | Condi Rice to replace Powell

AuthorMessageTime
Myndfyr
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041116/D86D0FT01.html

I like this move.  She's awesome.  :)  She and Powell need to run for Pres/VP in 08.  :)
November 16, 2004, 3:28 PM
DrivE
First of all, that isn't going to happen. Second, I am not entirely happy with the move.

On one hand, the State Department is going to be 100% in line and on board with the White House. This will bring stability to the overall foreign policy.

One the other hand, shes an African-American woman. Obviously, this is not a sexist or racist remark, so let me qualify. The problem with choosing an African-American, or black, woman is in dealing with some of the openly racist European countires *cough*France*cough*. The problem with being a woman is with the Islamic countires. As many of you are away, these Muslims in their construed belief of what the Koran preaches, are, in many cases, oppressive to women. The odds that these idiot Islamic radicals will even listen to her are slim. Also, I think that many people view her as merely a Presidential mouthpiece and might not give her her due credit.

Personally, I feel that Norman Shwarzkopf is a natural choice. He has the integrity and grit to see the job done. He has excellent relations with the worldwide coalition he spearheaded in 1991 and has vast experience in dealing with Europe and the Middle East. He is determined to solve problems with diplomacy but would never, ever, be afraid to wage war should it be neccessary. He is a combat, front-line General with diplomatic experience and well-liked world-wide. Stormin' Norman would have been my first phone call if I was W.
November 16, 2004, 8:11 PM
Arta
[quote author=Hazard link=topic=9573.msg89024#msg89024 date=1100635874]
openly racist European countires *cough*France*cough*.
[/quote]

What!??
November 16, 2004, 10:19 PM
Myndfyr
First of all, that isn't going to happen. Second, I am not entirely happy with the move.
[/quote]
Actually, it already did.
November 16, 2004, 10:43 PM
hismajesty
My uncle, a few weeks ago, told me that he might not vote for Bush now that Powell was resiging. The news is acting like this is some big suprise, but he said it already. I think he doesn't like putting his family through what they go through.

Oh well, Powell for President~
November 17, 2004, 12:16 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=hismajesty[yL] link=topic=9573.msg89048#msg89048 date=1100650569]
Oh well, Powell for President~
[/quote]

Condi for VP.  :D
November 17, 2004, 12:52 AM
DrivE
[quote author=MyndFyre link=topic=9573.msg89040#msg89040 date=1100645006]
[/quote]

[/quote]

She and Powell won't run in '08.
November 17, 2004, 1:20 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Hazard link=topic=9573.msg89051#msg89051 date=1100654425]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] if they did they would have a good chance of winning. Who else is going to run? I mean there are not many other good republicans waiting in the wings. Who do you have? McCain is pretty damn moderate, you have Juliani who is wishywasy. These guys would not do as well as powell who could steal the black vote too.
November 17, 2004, 1:42 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=quasi-modo link=topic=9573.msg89098#msg89098 date=1100698939]
[quote author=Hazard link=topic=9573.msg89051#msg89051 date=1100654425]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] if they did they would have a good chance of winning. Who else is going to run? I mean there are not many other good republicans waiting in the wings. Who do you have? McCain is pretty damn moderate, you have Juliani who is wishywasy. These guys would not do as well as powell who could steal the black vote too.
[/quote]

I don't know.  You'd have Jesse Jackson coming out telling Americans that Powell and Rice aren't really black, because they're running as Republicans.  It has in fact happened before, so don't be surprised if it happens again.

Although I must say, I like Juliani as well.
November 17, 2004, 5:35 PM
DrivE
Powell and Rice would not have a good chance of winning. There are way too many racist people around the country who would not like to dive head first into having a black man as President, or a woman Vice President, much less a black woman. The fact is, the Republicans would never nominate an all black running team. Second, Powell would never choose Rice as a running mate, as she is radical as opposed to Powell is a moderate. McCain has the support of many Republicans and Democrats, and a more moderate Presidential candidate would grab votes from both parties. He is also a decorated Veteran with decades of Senate experience. Giuliani is well liked and well known, but his past could come back to haunt him. The fact is, there are 3 years to search for another candidate. Stop thinking its possible that it will be Powell/Rice because I will gurantee anyone that it won't happen.
November 17, 2004, 10:16 PM
hismajesty
It won't happen if the RNC wants to win.

Powell would never put his family though it either.
November 18, 2004, 3:02 AM
peofeoknight
I think a lot of the republicans would vote for them because the republicans know that powell is smart and are going to be loyal to the party then you still would steal a fair ammount of the black vote. If jessy says they are not black then someone get xzibit to say they are.
November 19, 2004, 2:01 PM
Grok
[quote author=quasi-modo link=topic=9573.msg89364#msg89364 date=1100872898]
I think a lot of the republicans would vote for them because the republicans know that powell is smart and are going to be loyal to the party then you still would steal a fair ammount of the black vote. If jessy says they are not black then someone get xzibit to say they are.
[/quote]

What, 13% of registered voters are black?  How many of those would vote for Powell strictly because he is black?  That's a rather presumptious if not racist thing to say.  It's calling all blacks racist, stupid, or both.

But assume you're right for a second.  If you say blacks are racist you must be willing to admit that whites are racist.  What % of registered voters are racist whites?  Not just whites, but hispanics, asians, etc?  More asians hate blacks than do whites, but that's just my opinion based on observation.  So let's say another 60% of registered voters vote against Powell/Rice.  What's more, those that were Republican will feel disconnected from the party, betrayed that they would pull such a stunt.  Think they'll be willing to give campaign contributions for the next election?  No, they'll find another moderate party.
November 19, 2004, 7:01 PM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Grok link=topic=9573.msg89383#msg89383 date=1100890892]
[quote author=quasi-modo link=topic=9573.msg89364#msg89364 date=1100872898]
[/quote]

What, 13% of registered voters are black?  How many of those would vote for Powell strictly because he is black?  That's a rather presumptious if not racist thing to say.  It's calling all blacks racist, stupid, or both.[/quote] The blacks vote for people stricktly because they are democrat at the moment. I think they would vote for powell because of his color. He would be the first black president. I fail to see the racism. I would be willing to say the blacks want a black man to be president because it has never happened. I never called black people stupid, but somehow you got that out of what I said ::)
[quote]
But assume you're right for a second.  If you say blacks are racist you must be willing to admit that whites are racist.  What % of registered voters are racist whites?  Not just whites, but hispanics, asians, etc?  More asians hate blacks than do whites, but that's just my opinion based on observation.  So let's say another 60% of registered voters vote against Powell/Rice.  What's more, those that were Republican will feel disconnected from the party, betrayed that they would pull such a stunt.  Think they'll be willing to give campaign contributions for the next election?  No, they'll find another moderate party.
[/quote]Wow. You are so very wrong. You are looking way way too deeply. Black people have a pride about them and would be willing to vote for a black man for president. Racism amoung white people is not prevalent (well not enought to stop someone from voting against a party they may be loyal too) and I fail to see how the asians fit into this.
November 20, 2004, 5:40 AM
LivedKrad
You fail to see the racism? How is basing a prediction of voter principles on color not racist? The reason asians fit into this is the same reason blacks fit into it: skin pigment. If asians (from Grok's observation) hate blacks more because (obviously) of their skin color, then their decision on voting for or against a black president would be slightly biased, wouldn't you agree? I fail to see the connection in a discriminatory statement to an educated assumption towards vote turnout.
November 20, 2004, 6:32 AM
hismajesty
Blacks do vote in an uneducated way, and it's saddening. At the polling place I worked, when the guy walked out he pointed at a sign for a guy running for congress and asked 'He's a Democrat right?' to make sure he voted for a Democrat. He had no idea what the guy stood for, but voted for him anyway. (but the guy still lost)

Blacks are, obviously, first in line to give more power to themselves. Since, us big bad white folks enslaved their ancestors - a whopping 4% of the slave trade went here - we're not forever in debt to them. This has been publically said as their reasonings for asking for more money, etc. I don't know where you live and if you live in the midwest then it's a lot different but here there's a lot of black people, a lot of slummy areas, and a lot of Democrats (all three of those describe one group, btw). Now, of course, there are your educated black people too not your hoodlums, such as Colin Powell. He's respectable; but alot of these people that I have interaction with (not by choice) pick on you because you're white, even if you don't say anything to them. Now, I do have some black friends, btw.
November 20, 2004, 1:44 PM
peofeoknight
[quote author=LivedKrad link=topic=9573.msg89466#msg89466 date=1100932377]
You fail to see the racism? How is basing a prediction of voter principles on color not racist? The reason asians fit into this is the same reason blacks fit into it: skin pigment. If asians (from Grok's observation) hate blacks more because (obviously) of their skin color, then their decision on voting for or against a black president would be slightly biased, wouldn't you agree? I fail to see the connection in a discriminatory statement to an educated assumption towards vote turnout.
[/quote] I have never seen how asians hate blacks though. Whites do not hate blacks either (well some do, but the number will be negligible I think for the election, people will stick to party lines). Blacks voting for a black man is not racism IMO. Its a matter of pride. Its not like voting for the black man because you do not like the white man, its voting for the black man because there has never been a black president. Grok looked way to deeply into this, mainly because I think he just wanted to argue.
November 20, 2004, 5:33 PM
Grok
[quote author=quasi-modo link=topic=9573.msg89461#msg89461 date=1100929240]
Wow. You are so very wrong. You are looking way way too deeply. Black people have a pride about them and would be willing to vote for a black man for president.[/quote]

Are you seriously grouping all blacks into one profile, that they would all vote based on skin color?  If you were to say "the 3 blacks I know would" then OK, but I think you should give credit to the people you don't know that they vote responsibly, regardless of how the people you know vote.

As far as asians hating blacks, I said that backwards.  There's more black-on-asian hate than white-on-black.  Still, I think it's a small percentage of either grouping.  It disgusts me when I see grown people of any race making ignorant racist remarks and I call them out on it.  I've done it in business dealings as well as personal friendships.  Even done it with complete strangers who try to say something racist.  I consider it a duty to mankind.
November 22, 2004, 2:20 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Grok link=topic=9573.msg89685#msg89685 date=1101090046]
[quote author=quasi-modo link=topic=9573.msg89461#msg89461 date=1100929240]
Wow. You are so very wrong. You are looking way way too deeply. Black people have a pride about them and would be willing to vote for a black man for president.[/quote]

Are you seriously grouping all blacks into one profile, that they would all vote based on skin color?  If you were to say "the 3 blacks I know would" then OK, but I think you should give credit to the people you don't know that they vote responsibly, regardless of how the people you know vote.[/quote] Quit using the word all. All is hyperboly. A vast majority would I think. If Jessy calls colin not black someone else will just say he is and it is going to steal some of the black vote.
[quote]
As far as asians hating blacks, I said that backwards.  There's more black-on-asian hate than white-on-black.  Still, I think it's a small percentage of either grouping.  It disgusts me when I see grown people of any race making ignorant racist remarks and I call them out on it.  I've done it in business dealings as well as personal friendships.  Even done it with complete strangers who try to say something racist.  I consider it a duty to mankind.
[/quote] Again... I have never heard of black on asian hate or vice versa. All of the blacks and Asians around these parts seem to get along just fine. Where exactly do you live?
November 25, 2004, 7:35 AM

Search