Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Visual Basic Programming | Right(message) problem

AuthorMessageTime
GoSu_KaOs
This is my info command. It works like this. When a user types in " .info <username> " , the bot opens the file that has the same name as the user's message with out the .info text .( If I type in " .info GoSu ", then the bot will open the file called "GoSu.txt"), then send the information in the file to bnet. The problem is, I can't get rid of the " .info " text from the message. When I type in ".info GoSu", it will open the file "GoSu.txt". But when I type in something like " .info GoSuKaOs ", the message showes up as "ukaos". If I change the number in " Right((LCase(message)), 5) " to something like 20, the message will show  " .info GoSuKaOs". I Don't get how to make this work.

Here's the code I got:

[code]If username = "GoSu" then
  If Left((LCase(message)), 5) = (Loadtrigger & "info") Then

Open (App.Path & Right((LCase(message)), 5) & ".txt") For Input As #1

Input #1, za

Send "This user was last seen on: " & za

Close #1

End If
End If[/code]

I've explained it as clear as I could. Let me know if you can help
November 8, 2004, 10:35 PM
Zakath
Couldn't Mid be used to do this?
November 8, 2004, 11:01 PM
Yegg
The proper way in doing that would be:

[code]If username = "GoSu" then
  If LCase(Left(message, 5)) = (Loadtrigger & "info") Then

Open (App.Path & Right(message, (Len(message) - 6)) & ".txt") For Input As #1

Input #1, za

Send "This user was last seen on: " & za

Close #1

End If
End If[/code]

.....nice job zakath, u coulda given him an example.
November 8, 2004, 11:35 PM
Yoni
Mid(somestring, n) gives the same result (maybe even faster) as Right(somestring, Len(somestring) - n + 1).

And it is not a complicated problem - GoSu_KaOs could have looked up Mid in the VB reference, following Zakath's post, and figured it out.

Edit: Btw, this should be in the VB forum, it's only remotely to do with bot development.
November 8, 2004, 11:49 PM
Yegg
but wut if the gosu didn't fully understand Mid? giving an example is a good way in helping some1 understand how to do something the right way.
November 8, 2004, 11:50 PM
Zakath
And it also can do the exact opposite. I much prefer giving people pointers to where they can learn to improve their coding technique on their own, rather than simply handing them code that does what they want.
November 8, 2004, 11:58 PM
Yegg
good point. i jus figured since it looks like hes new to programming from reading his other posts i'd giv him an example.
November 9, 2004, 12:01 AM
Zakath
It really doesn't take a supergenius to understand the entries for Mid in MSDN.
November 9, 2004, 12:14 AM
Minux
Shouldn't this be in the Visual Basic Forum?
November 9, 2004, 1:17 AM

Search