Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | C/C++ Programming | Questions [C++]

AuthorMessageTime
Brandon
Alright this question is going to have a long answer, but if you are up to the task, please to answer. 

Alright in Visual Studios C++ 6 when you start up a new program there are a list of things under the tab Projects they are:

ATL COM AppWizard
DevStudio Add-in Wizard
ISAPI Extension Wizard
MakeFile
MFC Active X Control Wizard
MFC AppWizard (dll)
MFC AppWizard (exe)
Utility Project
Win32 Application
Win32 Console Application
Win32 Dynamic-Link Library
Win32 Static Library

Could someone tell me what each of these would someone use for making a certain program, and what they all do.  Or maybe they can find a link for me that explains what all of these are and what they do.  I would appreciate it a lot if someone would help.  Thanks!
October 20, 2004, 12:56 AM
Mitosis
Well when you click them, the program gives a "definition" I guess.

E.g. - ASP.NET Web Service = An XML Web Service that uses Managed Extensions  for C++.

Just click help and go to index or whatever and paste those names in. It gives you defininitions.
October 20, 2004, 2:00 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Mitosis link=topic=9241.msg85287#msg85287 date=1098237617]
Well when you click them, the program gives a "definition" I guess.
E.g. - ASP.NET Web Service = An XML Web Service that uses Managed Extensions  for C++.
Just click help and go to index or whatever and paste those names in. It gives you defininitions.
[/quote]

Amazing!  He said Visual Studio 6 and you gave him a Visual Studio 7 response! :P

Anyway, I might be off on a couple, but I think they're fairly accurate:
ATL COM AppWizard -- use this project to generate an application framework for use with the Active Template Library, which permits your application to interact with Component Object Model-aware applications or components.
DevStudio Add-in Wizard -- a wizard that generates a framework for adding functionality to Visual Studio.
ISAPI Extension Wizard -- a wizard that generates a framework for creating an Internet Services Application Programming Interface extension, allowing for Internet Information Services (IIS) to do extra stuff.
MakeFile -- a file used for batch compilation tasks.
MFC ActiveX Control Wizard -- A wizard that generates a framework for exposing controls and components developed in C++ for access in ActiveX, using the Microsoft Foundation Classes.
MFC App Wizard (dll) -- A wizard that generates a framework for a Dynamically-Linked Library with support for the Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC).
MFC App Wizard (exe) -- A wizard that generates a GUI framework for an executable application with support for MFC.
Utility Project -- you got me.  I don't know.
Win32 Application -- A standard framework template for a Win32-driven application with a GUI.
Win32 Console Application -- A standard framework template for a Win32-aware console application.
Win32 Dynamic-Link Library -- A standard framework template for a Win32-aware non-executable DLL.
Win32 Static Library -- A standard framework template for a Win32-aware shared library.
October 20, 2004, 2:37 AM
Mitosis
ah shit your right...just noticed that! Ohwell, if you ever use VS7, there ya go!
October 20, 2004, 11:32 AM
Brandon
[quote]Anyway, I might be off on a couple, but I think they're fairly accurate:
ATL COM AppWizard -- use this project to generate an application framework for use with the Active Template Library, which permits your application to interact with Component Object Model-aware applications or components.
DevStudio Add-in Wizard -- a wizard that generates a framework for adding functionality to Visual Studio.
ISAPI Extension Wizard -- a wizard that generates a framework for creating an Internet Services Application Programming Interface extension, allowing for Internet Information Services (IIS) to do extra stuff.
MakeFile -- a file used for batch compilation tasks.
MFC ActiveX Control Wizard -- A wizard that generates a framework for exposing controls and components developed in C++ for access in ActiveX, using the Microsoft Foundation Classes.
MFC App Wizard (dll) -- A wizard that generates a framework for a Dynamically-Linked Library with support for the Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC).
MFC App Wizard (exe) -- A wizard that generates a GUI framework for an executable application with support for MFC.
Utility Project -- you got me.  I don't know.
Win32 Application -- A standard framework template for a Win32-driven application with a GUI.
Win32 Console Application -- A standard framework template for a Win32-aware console application.
Win32 Dynamic-Link Library -- A standard framework template for a Win32-aware non-executable DLL.
Win32 Static Library -- A standard framework template for a Win32-aware shared library. [/quote]
Thanks a lot!
October 20, 2004, 9:39 PM
Grok
Skywing's BinaryChat Web interface is an ISAPI project.
October 21, 2004, 7:50 PM
Skywing
[quote author=Grok link=topic=9241.msg85541#msg85541 date=1098388255]
Skywing's BinaryChat Web interface is an ISAPI project.
[/quote]
I didn't use the VC template though, as it's not done in MFC.
October 21, 2004, 10:10 PM

Search