Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | C/C++ Programming | best C++ books!

AuthorMessageTime
vonLandenhausen
post here what you think are the best c++ books nowadays!
October 18, 2004, 7:16 PM
drivehappy
C++: How to Program, Fourth Edition by Dietel & Dietel is an excellent C++ book.
October 19, 2004, 12:05 AM
Mephisto
I agree, it is a good book.  I also recommend The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup is also a great one to look at.

What I don't recommend is sAms Publishing books, particuarily Teach Yourself to Program in C++ in 21 Days or 24 Hours.
October 19, 2004, 1:41 AM
LoS
I insist trying C++ for Dummies. It is based for making it easier to learn. But it doesn't teach .Net .
October 19, 2004, 4:46 PM
Mephisto
I don't think it's a very good book, neither did my friends.
October 20, 2004, 12:01 AM
Newby
I like anything by O'Reilly.

I especially liked Practical C++ Programming by O'Reilly. Greatest beginners C++ book I've ever read.
October 20, 2004, 12:43 AM
Mitosis
C++ DeMYSTified by: Jeff Kent! Excellent!
October 20, 2004, 2:00 AM
St0rm.iD
Thinking in C++, by Bruce Eckel. It's a free e-book download!

www.bruceeckel.com
October 20, 2004, 2:20 AM
Atom
I also unreccomend anything with "Sam's" on it.  Apparently Sam is a monkey who explains C with C terms among many other problems in the series.

A book that I have enjoyed is entitled "Your first C\C++ Program!". It was being thrown out by a local college here as they now use java as their main language.
October 21, 2004, 2:27 PM
Grok
[quote author=Mephisto link=topic=9218.msg85130#msg85130 date=1098150081]
I agree, it is a good book.  I also recommend The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup is also a great one to look at.

What I don't recommend is sAms Publishing books, particuarily Teach Yourself to Program in C++ in 21 Days or 24 Hours.
[/quote]

I disagree with the latter.  Those Sams books are well-written and proven teaching guides to learning to program in C++.  A number of vL members and other people have gotten their feet wet starting with those Sams books.

The Stroustrup book is terrific at providing the computer scientist with a clear understanding of the language construction and rules.  Not only does he describe the syntax and show examples, he talks about the implementation and the thinking that went into designing the language how it is, sometimes giving alternatives along the way and why they were dismissed.
October 21, 2004, 7:47 PM
UserLoser.
[quote author=Grok link=topic=9218.msg85540#msg85540 date=1098388058]
I disagree with the latter.  Those Sams books are well-written and proven teaching guides to learning to program in C++.  A number of vL members and other people have gotten their feet wet starting with those Sams books.

The Stroustrup book is terrific at providing the computer scientist with a clear understanding of the language construction and rules.  Not only does he describe the syntax and show examples, he talks about the implementation and the thinking that went into designing the language how it is, sometimes giving alternatives along the way and why they were dismissed.
[/quote]

I started with a Sams book (One in 24 hours).  I also now have Stroustrup's latest book (I think it's the latest, 3rd edition)
October 21, 2004, 9:15 PM
vonLandenhausen
[quote]I started with a Sams book (One in 24 hours).  I also now have Stroustrup's latest book (I think it's the latest, 3rd edition) [/quote]
the special edition is the latest ;D
October 26, 2004, 12:33 PM
Mephisto
I agree that they're good books for starting.  But when you get into the mid-chapters of Sams 21 days in C++ book he uses a lot of examples that have code he has never gone over, and doesn't go over until later chapters.  For instance, he uses arrays in chapter 12, but doesn't go over them in chapter 13.  Some of the examples are poorly explained, and I've heard many times from people that they are left completely confused well after the 2nd chapter.  It took me quite a bit of re-reading to get through chapter and figure out what was going on, and a lot of reading in later chapters to figure out exactly what he was doing...
October 26, 2004, 2:04 PM
Mitosis
yeah, his books are so confusing no wonder they're free
October 26, 2004, 2:09 PM
Mephisto
[quote author=Mitosis link=topic=9218.msg86185#msg86185 date=1098799765]
yeah, his books are so confusing no wonder they're free
[/quote]

Retail puts them ~$20 - ~$50
October 27, 2004, 2:11 AM

Search