Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Politics | Politics and Organized Crime

AuthorMessageTime
iago
I was talking to my grandpa today about some old politicians that I didn't really know anything about.  He was telling me that there are strong suspicions that various high political people recently and historically have had fairly strong ties to organized crime (for example, JFK and Clinton, he said). 

What I'm wondering, since I'm pretty ignorant about the US's political history, how much information/proof is there?
October 17, 2004, 8:20 PM
St0rm.iD
Just take a look at what our other (not Kerry) Massachusetts senator has done.

http://www.ytedk.com/
October 17, 2004, 9:40 PM
peofeoknight
There is also the historic president Grant. During his administration there was a horrible stench of corruption.
[quote]
Like Zachary Taylor, Ulysses S. Grant was elected to the presidency in honor of his heroic deeds on the battlefield, even though he had absolutely no political background. Not only was Grant lacking in political experience, he also had no particular interest in using the powers of the presidency, and was taken advantage of by dishonest associates. One of Grant's few accomplishments was approval of the Specie Resumption Act, which made it legal to redeem "greenbacks" issued during the Civil War for gold or silver coins. However, the country was more likely to remember Grant's administration for the fraud, graft, scandal, and corruption of his second term. Grant was happy to leave office after eight years.[/quote]
October 18, 2004, 12:22 AM
iago
[quote author=quasi-modo link=topic=9196.msg84922#msg84922 date=1098058937]
There is also the historic president Grant. During his administration there was a horrible stench of corruption.
[quote]
Like Zachary Taylor, Ulysses S. Grant was elected to the presidency in honor of his heroic deeds on the battlefield, even though he had absolutely no political background. Not only was Grant lacking in political experience, he also had no particular interest in using the powers of the presidency, and was taken advantage of by dishonest associates. One of Grant's few accomplishments was approval of the Specie Resumption Act, which made it legal to redeem "greenbacks" issued during the Civil War for gold or silver coins. However, the country was more likely to remember Grant's administration for the fraud, graft, scandal, and corruption of his second term. Grant was happy to leave office after eight years.[/quote]
[/quote]

I wish they would elaborate on that.  I'm curious about what's happened :/
October 18, 2004, 12:57 AM
peofeoknight
He looked (thought I do not believe he was) in bed with several companies. My memory from apush last year is a bit hazy but Credit Mobilier sticks out, a big railroad scandal. Here is a site with a little more depth. One of Grant's own cabinate was actually arrested though.
http://www.multied.com/Bio/presidents/grant.html
October 18, 2004, 2:24 AM

Search