Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Excess of Grok | Virginia @ FSU

AuthorMessageTime
Grok
I'm leaving for Tallahassee in a few minutes!  Game is national ESPN 8:00 p.m. game, I'll wave at the camera at you guys :)  Plus I might take a picture or two of the Booker Girls, and other "attractions".  Oh yeh, there's a football game too.  Mickey Andrews is one of the top 10 coaches at preparing a defense to stop the run.  Virginia is untested against a run defense, so it's hard to tell.  Their offensive line looks pretty good in the middle, but FSU's strength has always been the end rush.  Looks like Ernie Sims is going to have a huge day against Virginia.  In games where everyone is focusing on one thing, it is often the other that gets going.  So will the FSU and UVa air attack be all there is?  If so, I want to think FSU has the advantage in talent.  Hope that Dominick Robinson has a big day receiving.  My prediction, FSU 24, UVa 21.
October 16, 2004, 11:26 AM
DrivE
My girlfriend and a ton of her friends are up there, I'm going to watch this one. It's definetly an ACC showdown.
October 16, 2004, 1:29 PM
Grok
Wow!  Great fun game.  FSU defense showed up and completely dominated UVa's running game.  Heath Miller for VA was awesome.  The All-American got his catches despite our future NFL DBs being all over him.  I think he only missed one catchable ball that came his way.  That guy was great.  Unfortunately for his team, he was the only one with more talent than their cover, and so he was a one-man show.

FSU offense, what can I say?  They finally showed up to a "big game" that mattered.  First  time in about 4 years I think?  Except the Florida game, though that wasn't undefeated teams and wasn't for chance at a conference crown.

Sooo many beautiful women there, I couldn't believe I ever moved away.
October 17, 2004, 10:12 PM
Grok
[quote]Viginia entered the game ranked fifth nationally in both rushing offense and total offense and third nationally in scoring offense but could do nothing to get its rushing game on track.

Virginia tailbacks Wali Lundy, Alvin Pearman and Michael Johnson combined for 45 yards on 22 carries. The Seminoles held Virginia to 20 net rushing yards on 29 attempts.

The Cavaliers entered the game averaging 275 yards rushing per game.
[/quote]

What's not mentioned is they only brought about 1500 fans to the game.  Can they not find more than 1500 alum and fans to travel to watch their #6 ranked 5-0 team play the #7 team in the country, and ACC rival, and support them in one of the loudest stadiums (except for Florida field and LSU maybe) in the country?
October 17, 2004, 10:54 PM
Grok
From Deion Sanders to Marvin Jones to Derrick Brooks to Corey Simon, Florida State defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews has coached more than his fair share of big-time players. Even he said he hasn’t seen anything like what he saw from Ernie Sims this past Saturday night.

Lining up all over the field, Sims turned in his best effort as a Seminole with nine tackles, three tackles for a loss, two sacks and a blocked punt to help the FSU defense shut down Virginia’s highly touted offense during a 36-3 victory.

"He was unbelievable," Andrews said. "If he's not the player of the week, they ought to throw the thing in the river up there.

"Nobody in the world played better than Ernie did last Saturday."

In fact, Sims might have turned in the best single-game effort ever recorded by an FSU defender in the 21 seasons that Andrews has served as defensive coordinator.

FSU players are awarded tomahawk points each game based on big plays, which range from tackles, sacks or quarterback hurries to even key blocks on special teams. Players are also penalized points for missing tackles or missing assignments.

Sims earned 76 tomahawk points against Virginia – a total Andrews said might be the most he's ever awarded in a single game.

"Seventy points is unheard of," Andrews said.
October 19, 2004, 9:21 PM

Search