Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Assembly/Dissasembly

AuthorMessageTime
BaDDBLooD
My friend is learning "dissasembly".

Is There a difference between Dissasembly and Assembly?

I thought assembly was a language, Dissasembly was when you Decompile a exe into assembly?

Any Other information is apreciated.
October 14, 2004, 1:28 AM
Newby
[quote]Assembly:  A programming language that is once removed from machine language. Machine languages consist entirely of numbers and are almost impossible for humans to read and write. Assembly languages have the same structure and set of commands as machine languages, but they enable a programmer to use names (mnemonics) instead of numbers.[/quote]

[quote] This is a utility, performing transformation, reverse to assembling, i.e. transforming machine codes to assembler language. Such utilities are a necessity not only for debugging programs (for which they are intended), but also for virus analysis. [/quote]

Disassembly is just disassembling a binary file (machine code) into assembly. Assembly is a readable form of machine code in a sense.
October 14, 2004, 1:38 AM
BaDDBLooD
Thanks Alot
October 14, 2004, 3:07 AM
Adron
Assembly is more about writing while disassembly is more about understanding.
October 14, 2004, 10:59 AM
iago
[quote author=Adron link=topic=9147.msg84346#msg84346 date=1097751584]
Assembly is more about writing while disassembly is more about understanding.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's what I would have said.  I couldn't sit down and write an assembly program, but I could take one that's already been written and understand it 100% (given time).
October 14, 2004, 1:33 PM
Zakath
Huh...I can sometimes understand assembly (but not 100% :P), but if I start from scratch I have no problem writing it.
October 15, 2004, 8:44 PM

Search