Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Excess of Grok | Huge Weekend in College Football

AuthorMessageTime
DrivE
This weekend was HUGE in College Football for the Top 25. We saw not one but two top 10 teams get upset by non-ranked teams.

Georgia sure creamed LSU. It looked like Georgia had something to prove, a vendetta if you will, against a good LSU team that they lost to back in December in the SEC title game. Not the same Georgia team. A huge running game LSU could not plug led the charge, with several strikes to the outside recievers for HUGE yards and Touchdowns. Georgia is for real kids.

Ohio State drops one to NorthWestern? What happend to the OSU of old?

West Virginia's hopes to be #1 are gone. Loosing to Virginia Tech pretty much seals the deal that they are out of the Orange Bowl.

Florida State handled their game with poise, but then again, it was UNC. Still, its another W.

Texas and Oklahoma. What can you say? These are some tough teams and they're going into a big time head to head competition next week. I think the game to watch next week is these two teams go at each other, and they made good statments to one another against their opponents this weekend.

Auburn. How ecstatic can I be to see Auburn out here busting heads. They've been playing smash mouth and smart football so far, and I can tell you how happy I am to see them knock off the overrated Vols. Auburn took it to Rocky Top and did what they had to do and showed us all that they're thinking championship.

California and USC. Cal gave USC their only loss last year, and this weeks game at the Collisieum should be an incredible one. USC stumbled a little with Stanford, but don't be suprised if they're looking for revenge against Cal. Expcet this one to be a nail biter.

Miami, did anybody actually think Tech had a chance?

Purdue finally snaps a 30 year slide against the Irish. The Boilermakers hadn't been able to win in South Bend since 1974 and look out, Purdue is 3-0 up next week against Penn State.

Florida, I just love Chris Leak. He's a good kid and he'll go places with this team. They put up great numbers against a good Arkansas team. The defense clamped down when it had to and I love Ciatrick Fason, thats all there is to it. Next week its up against LSU, a team they embarassed last year. This year, its at The Swamp and should be a doozie.

We saw that Fresno State isn't all that it was cracked up to be. They dropped what should have been an easy game to Louisiana Tech. They did not play like a champ, and they got it thrown back in their face. Bye bye Fresno.

The rest who rounded out the Top 25 had decent performances. Nothing really testing, but Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Boise State, Louisville, Arizona State did about what I expected them to, and what they needed to do.

Any thoughts?
October 3, 2004, 2:58 PM
Grok
Did you watch the Ohio State game?  Northwestern was on fire.  I gave up watching when it went to OT .. just too sleepy.  At that time it looked like OSU was going to complete their rally and win in OT.  I guess Northwestern was too hot though.  They played out of their minds, beyond their skill levels.  Either OSU's offensive line totally sucked, or the NW DEs were just mad good last night, they were in OSUs backfield at all the right times.
October 3, 2004, 3:17 PM
DarkMinion
Where is TCU in your latest BCS bowl picture, Hazard?  ;)

This week will be fun to watch, even though my Red Raiders are BYE.
October 3, 2004, 6:47 PM
DrivE
[quote author=Grok link=topic=8989.msg83029#msg83029 date=1096816657]
Did you watch the Ohio State game?  Northwestern was on fire.  I gave up watching when it went to OT .. just too sleepy.  At that time it looked like OSU was going to complete their rally and win in OT.  I guess Northwestern was too hot though.  They played out of their minds, beyond their skill levels.  Either OSU's offensive line totally sucked, or the NW DEs were just mad good last night, they were in OSUs backfield at all the right times.
[/quote]

I did, and I saw a total collapse of the Ohio State team and a rally of NW players.
October 3, 2004, 10:29 PM
DrivE
[quote author=DarkMinion link=topic=8989.msg83074#msg83074 date=1096829225]
Where is TCU in your latest BCS bowl picture, Hazard?  ;)

This week will be fun to watch, even though my Red Raiders are BYE.
[/quote]

TCU was underrated last year. Texas Tech was overrated last year. Get over it, and move on. I refuse to defend TCU this year.
October 3, 2004, 10:30 PM
DarkMinion
[quote]TCU was underrated last year.[/quote]

How in the hell were they underrated?  They were ranked in the top 15 almost the entire season, until they got spanked in their last 2 games by the only real teams they played all year.

And how were we overrated?
October 4, 2004, 12:45 AM
DrivE
Nobody expected TCU to be able to do what they did last year, and to be able to hold on so well for so long. That made them underrated.

A ton of people were running around with "Texas Tech this" and "Texas Tech that" when they just couldn't get it done, and it showed. Thats what made them overrated.
October 4, 2004, 3:08 AM
DarkMinion
What exactly did they do last year?  They won 11 games against some of the weakest competition in the nation:

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teamsched?teamId=2628&year=2003[/url]

Applauding them for that is just stupid.  As soon as they came up against a halfway decent team (Southern Miss), they got spanked.
October 4, 2004, 3:54 AM
DrivE
Nobody expected TCU to be able to do what they did last year, and to be able to hold on so well for so long. That made them underrated.

Why do you always assume I'm talking about kick ass teams when I talk about a team being underrated? I said what I said based on that quote above, nobody expected them to do what they did. And apparently the coaches and the professionals who do some of the rankings agree with what I said. I hold their opinion in slightly higher esteem than your own.
October 4, 2004, 7:52 PM
DarkMinion
Any team that wins that many games, regardless of the competition would be ranked in the top 15 or higher.  It's just how it works.

It doesn't mean they're good.
October 4, 2004, 11:52 PM
DrivE
Wrong. Its a coaches poll. The coaches don't only consider wins vs. loss and neither does the BCS, nor the AP Poll, etc.
October 5, 2004, 1:38 AM
DarkMinion
You don't know WTF you're talking about.  The same thing happened to BYU a few years ago, they were 10-0 vs. very very weak competition and were ranked in the top 10.  Then they go and get spanked by Hawaii by about 40 points, and lose their bowl game to some below average team.

Same story, different team, different year.  Happens all the time with these so called "BCS busters".
October 5, 2004, 1:55 AM
DrivE
So they lost games? Oklahoma was "the best team in the land" last year and they got reemed their last two games. Does that make it so they aren't good teams? No. You argument holds no water. BYU was a good team that year, and nobody expected them to do what they did. Rankings aren't all what you think they are DM.
October 5, 2004, 11:30 AM
DarkMinion
That's apples and oranges.  Oklahoma beat good competition while they were undefeated, not weak patsies.
October 5, 2004, 7:44 PM
DrivE
TCU didn't beak people that were weak relative to themselves. They played well for those weeks, and thats a fact. I had this discussion with my coach at school today, he formerly coached at Vanderbilt, Austin Peay, Coast Guard Academy, University of Cinncinati, etc. and he shares my feelings towards TCU being an underated team last year.

Your problem, DM, is you see me saying underrated as being an awesome team. I don't Purdue is underrated, but that doesn't mean that they are this kick ass championship contender. Just like being overrated doesn't mean that they'll be a .500 team this year.
October 5, 2004, 9:10 PM

Search