Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Computer Engineering

AuthorMessageTime
TheMinistered
I've been doing software programming for a long time now.  I am just now starting to get interested in how to build my own circuits, write software to interact with them, etc

What type of stuff should I be googling, what would you consider 'important'?  What kind of tools should one need? etc?

September 29, 2004, 12:52 AM
j0k3r
Learn how to do basic puts and gets using a parallel port cable on your PC (crap, I don't even know what it plugs into). A basic circuit board, some wires, LEDs, switches/buttons should get you started, also try to find a nice tutorial to go with the language you're using.
September 29, 2004, 1:17 AM
peofeoknight
just building your own pc is easy. I mean you order the parts and assemble it. But you can't really make it from scratch. But I have played around with basic circuits, made my own small radio transmitter and some other gismost. I just got the parts from radio shack. Like a bread board, come small resistors and capacitors. When I made the little transmitter I ordered the parts in a kit and it came with a step by step manual to set it up... that was kind of like cheating. Oh well.
September 29, 2004, 2:25 AM
Tuberload
[quote author=peofeoknight link=topic=8934.msg82554#msg82554 date=1096424733]
But you can't really make it from scratch.[/quote]

If it can't be made from scratch, then how are the parts you order made?
September 29, 2004, 2:45 AM
Mephisto
I think what he's saying is you can't make them in your household easily.  In other words, you would need advanced technology (perhaps?) to create them, and special machines.  :-O
September 29, 2004, 2:48 AM
peofeoknight
exactly, you can't run a chip foundry out of your garage. Atleast not without a garage that is extremely large and you have a butt load of cash.
September 29, 2004, 3:15 AM
crashtestdummy
I'd say ask someone who's been working a little on a it a little himself. This guy looks like he may be reading a little about it:
https://davnit.net/bnet/vL/phpbbs/index.php?topic=7298.0
September 29, 2004, 3:21 AM
Tuberload
[quote author=Mephisto link=topic=8934.msg82558#msg82558 date=1096426127]
I think what he's saying is you can't make them in your household easily. In other words, you would need advanced technology (perhaps?) to create them, and special machines. :-O
[/quote]

You're a real genius, I don't think I will be able to easily reach your level... You know computers were invented in someone’s garage, I wonder how advanced the technology was they used. I hope the sarcasm is easier to detect in this post.
September 29, 2004, 3:22 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Tuberload link=topic=8934.msg82565#msg82565 date=1096428143]
I think what he's saying is you can't make them in your household easily. In other words, you would need advanced technology (perhaps?) to create them, and special machines. :-O
[/quote]

You're a real genius, I don't think I will be able to easily reach your level... You know computers were invented in someone’s garage, I wonder how advanced the technology was they used. I hope the sarcasm is easier to detect in this post.
[/quote] Eniac was invented in a garrage?  :-X
I mean you are not going to be able to create something real advanced in a garage. You might be able to whip up some circuit boards, but I doubt you would be making the parts that plug into that board.

What is the point of Adron's uv box? I mean where does the box come in to play? I can see the board, the soldering pen, the little nic nacs (capacitors, chips, etc), but whats the box for?

My interest is now piqued.
September 29, 2004, 3:32 AM
crashtestdummy
It just depends on how advanced your brain is. If you can't program a VCR you probably will have problems making something worthwhile.
He used the box to make the board.
September 29, 2004, 3:50 AM
zorm
[quote author=peofeoknight link=topic=8934.msg82570#msg82570 date=1096428771]
[quote author=Tuberload link=topic=8934.msg82565#msg82565 date=1096428143]
[/quote]

[/quote] Eniac was invented in a garrage?  :-X
I mean you are not going to be able to create something real advanced in a garage. You might be able to whip up some circuit boards, but I doubt you would be making the parts that plug into that board.

What is the point of Adron's uv box? I mean where does the box come in to play? I can see the board, the soldering pen, the little nic nacs (capacitors, chips, etc), but whats the box for?

My interest is now piqued.
[/quote]

The UV box is used in the etching process of making the printed circuit board. You may want to read up on how PCBs are made by home users.
September 29, 2004, 5:10 AM
crashtestdummy
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/vk3yng/pcb/making_pcbs.htm
September 29, 2004, 5:25 AM
Adron
[quote author=muert0 link=topic=8934.msg82583#msg82583 date=1096435535]
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/vk3yng/pcb/making_pcbs.htm
[/quote]

I wouldn't use eprom erasing tubes - those are the wrong wavelength. And my laser printer works very well for producing the films. I've had much more trouble with inkjets because over time the heads tend to get a few holes blocked. This causes thin gaps in the connections on the PCB which is *not* good.
September 29, 2004, 10:59 AM
peofeoknight
That's awesome. I have always just used bread boards, not etched boards.
September 29, 2004, 12:15 PM
kamakazie
Is it cheaper to make your own or use a service such as [url]http://www.pad2pad.com/[/url]?
September 29, 2004, 7:26 PM
MrRaza
Maybe take a grade 11 or grade 12 electronic's class, they show you how to do all of that, and then some.
September 29, 2004, 8:19 PM
Tuberload
peofeoknight: The point I was trying to make is that TheMinistered can still make basic components and learn how things work. You don't need advanced equipment, and you don't have to make circuit boards equivalent to today’s technology to learn the basic concepts of how something works.
September 29, 2004, 9:31 PM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Tuberload link=topic=8934.msg82634#msg82634 date=1096493484]
peofeoknight: The point I was trying to make is that TheMinistered can still make basic components and learn how things work. You don't need advanced equipment, and you don't have to make circuit boards equivalent to today’s technology to learn the basic concepts of how something works.
[/quote]  What I was saying in my original post though was that you can't make a pc at home though, from scratch. I knew you could make circuits at home, but you can't run a chip foundry out of your garage. I have made some neat electronic doodads at home, like I made a remote controlled car, a radio transmitter (lpfm), and a small am/fm radio.

I think that stuff about arta making his own circuits is really neat though. I knew you could etch circuits from home (I had a friend who used to do it back in the day), but I never knew that's how it was done.

edit: spelling
September 30, 2004, 1:18 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=MrRaza link=topic=8934.msg82627#msg82627 date=1096489198]
Maybe take a grade 11 or grade 12 electronic's class, they show you how to do all of that, and then some.
[/quote] I wish we had any shop classes offered at my school. If we had an electronics or computer hardware class at my school I would be in it in a second. If we even had an auto shop or metal working shop I would be in it in a second.
September 30, 2004, 1:19 AM

Search