Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Java Programming | New Java Project

AuthorMessageTime
j0k3r
I've just started learning Java, as quite a few others I've read. I was wondering that if anyone wanted to start a new project, and what suggestions you would have as to what the project should be.
September 22, 2004, 12:24 AM
St0rm.iD
BitTorrent tracker which uses Chord to store its data.
September 22, 2004, 12:32 AM
TangoFour
An IRC-like client/server chat system (that's what I had to do in Java as a conclusion to the "Programming #2" course)
September 22, 2004, 12:12 PM
St0rm.iD
No, not another one! www.jabber.org
September 22, 2004, 7:37 PM
The-FooL
I'm going to make a Java clone of a BNLS Server(open source, when I actually get something done).
September 22, 2004, 11:19 PM
Kp
[quote author=The-FooL link=board=34;threadid=8787;start=0#msg81468 date=1095895187]I'm going to make a Java clone of a BNLS Server(open source, when I actually get something done).[/quote]

Aside from being a stupid idea (since it won't be able to run CheckRevision nearly as efficiently as a C program could), it's already been mostly done. iago wrote a BNLS-ish clone for his JavaOp.
September 22, 2004, 11:31 PM
iago
[quote author=Kp link=board=34;threadid=8787;start=0#msg81469 date=1095895896]
[quote author=The-FooL link=board=34;threadid=8787;start=0#msg81468 date=1095895187]I'm going to make a Java clone of a BNLS Server(open source, when I actually get something done).[/quote]

Aside from being a stupid idea (since it won't be able to run CheckRevision nearly as efficiently as a C program could), it's already been mostly done. iago wrote a BNLS-ish clone for his JavaOp.
[/quote]

I do CheckRevision and version stuff, nothing more. I don't believe in having access to CDKeys and Passwords, too much room for suspicion.

And it's OpenSource, but I didn't bother posting the code anywhere. If you want it, ask me on aim and I'll zip/upload it somewhere.
September 22, 2004, 11:49 PM
The-FooL
I don't care if anyone uses it, or if they think its "stupid", I'd just be doing it for myself. So...
September 23, 2004, 2:35 AM
j0k3r
I was thinking it would be something I could use on a more regular basis, perhaps an msn-applet, maybe a regular java bnet bot, anything really to learn more about java.
September 23, 2004, 3:15 AM
Lenny
Well, I'm planning on creating an "Open Battle.net" system where users are able to logon to Battle.net on a client without a CDkey. It'll basically provide a cdKey hash of a cdkey in its database (unknown to the user) after the user sends the correct seeds etc...

The project will be completely open source when the time comes (a long while). Interested? Currently, I'm only planning out its security to prevent any sort of abuse....
September 24, 2004, 1:25 AM
crashtestdummy
How do you prevent abuse in a program that illegally generates cd-keys to log someone onto battle.net? And wouldn't that cause an IP ban kind of quick if you kept sending cd keys that were in use already?
Joker what kind of things have you programmed already not in java.
September 24, 2004, 2:27 AM
j0k3r
[quote author=muert0 link=board=34;threadid=8787;start=0#msg81707 date=1095992852]
Joker what kind of things have you programmed already not in java.
[/quote]
HelloWorld, some crap I don't remember, working on roman numeral to number converter now (I think I saw this on these forums somewhere?). The class is moving at a bit of a slow pace for me, which is why I'm looking for something to work on.

I'm not interested at all in bnet anymore, so I won't be joining any of those.
September 24, 2004, 3:12 AM
Lenny
I'm planning to make a system similar to the way a DHCP server leases ips.

The server will lease a key to an ip address. That key will be reserved for that ip address for a certain period of time (undetermined). Once that lease expires, the key will be placed back into the 'pool'. There will be a program that will routinely go thru the key database removing inuse keys/banned keys from the 'pool' by simply checking they key status on battle.net.

There will be presumably 4 key 'pools', one for each gateway.
September 24, 2004, 3:18 AM
crashtestdummy
I've seen an applet that sat in the toolbar in a linux distro that I don't remember. But you put a word in a box hit send and it goes through dictionary.com and the likes and pops up the definition for you. How hard would it be to do somethinglike that for windows?
September 24, 2004, 3:41 AM
Forged
java works the exact same way on every os, it doesn't use os specific api.
September 24, 2004, 3:57 AM
Skywing
[quote author=Lenny link=board=34;threadid=8787;start=0#msg81721 date=1095995887]
I'm planning to make a system similar to the way a DHCP server leases ips.

The server will lease a key to an ip address. That key will be reserved for that ip address for a certain period of time (undetermined). Once that lease expires, the key will be placed back into the 'pool'. There will be a program that will routinely go thru the key database removing inuse keys/banned keys from the 'pool' by simply checking they key status on battle.net.

There will be presumably 4 key 'pools', one for each gateway.

[/quote]
And if your end-user is on a connection that gets a new IP address every time it's logged on, then..?
September 25, 2004, 6:03 PM
Lenny
The end user is granted a new key. The old key which was leased to his old ip will be thrown back into the pool once the program that routinely goes through the database finds it is no longer in use.

The end user won't be able to go back to his old key because he lacks all the necessary values to reverse it back into something useful.

The system isn't invulnerable from abuse or attack, but it does force the end user to go out of his/her way to attack it.

Worst comes to worse, the system will work on an account basis similar to BNLS in the past. But I hope it won't come to that, because I want this system to be completely public.
September 25, 2004, 7:32 PM

Search