Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Problems

AuthorMessageTime
The-Rabid-Lord
I have recentley upgraded my comput to an AMD 2800+ chip. When I play games, they run for 5 minutes then quit and a blue screen comes up and says memory dump and stuff, contact your system admin. Im on Windows xp. Please help!
September 17, 2004, 9:44 PM
peofeoknight
Yuck! BSOD. I have never had this problem so I am kind of unfamiliar. The one time I upgraded my processor I upgraded my motherboard too, so I had to reinstall windows. Do you ever bsod outside of a game? Like when you start a program like photoshop or something? Put some load on the processor, but not on the video, like do some number crunching or something and see what it does. You overclocking? Whats your fsb now and what was the old fsb? Cpu ratio?
September 17, 2004, 10:31 PM
synth
Have you changed anything else besides the CPU?
September 17, 2004, 10:59 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
Motherboard, to a PC Chips M848A AMD compatible. I also put in a new Heat Sink. I also have an ATI Radeon 9200SE graphics card.
September 17, 2004, 11:25 PM
peofeoknight
wait you changed mobo too? You need to reinstall windows probably then. Unless it is the same exact chipset, northbridge and south. Well even then I would recommend reinstalling. Most oss do not like it when you change the motherboard they were configured to in installation.
September 17, 2004, 11:32 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
Should have mentioned I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled and updated everything including drivers for each bit of hard ware, still no success.
September 17, 2004, 11:34 PM
peofeoknight
ugh. How many sticks of ram do you have? Are they the same brand and type? If they are different what are their bands, speeds, and cas latencies. I have had similar problems with two sticks of ram getting in arguments on a new motherboard. If it still isnt working, then I would try one or the other ram and see what happens, assumeing you have two different sticks of ram. Then I would try plugging parts that are compatible in another pc and reading compatibility charts from the motherboard manufacturer. This is more likely an issue with the motherboard then the processor.
September 17, 2004, 11:37 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
1 stick of 512mb crucial Ram.
September 17, 2004, 11:39 PM
peofeoknight
got another stick anywhere in the house of ddr or whatever your mobo takes?
September 17, 2004, 11:40 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
No, the motherboard I have is the newest, my old mobo used the older sticks same as my dads:(
September 17, 2004, 11:45 PM
peofeoknight
well my problem was I had ram with a higher cas in slot one and ram with a lower cas in slot two, when the ram in slot one filled it moved on to slot two and there was almost a vaccume created because of the lower latency I guess and it would create an instant bsod. It only happened in games when I would used up all of that first stick. I ende up having to get rid of the slower stick.

It only happens in game correct? Try crunching some numbers on it. Go to www.distributedfolding.com and download their number crunching junk, the text client ( ftp://ftp.blueprint.org/pub/distribfold/download/distribfold-current-win9x.zip ). Then run the mofo in real time. This will load up your proc and eat up your ram. Lets see what that does.
September 18, 2004, 12:19 AM
Skywing
[quote author=peofeoknight link=board=2;threadid=8718;start=0#msg80615 date=1095463925]
wait you changed mobo too? You need to reinstall windows probably then. Unless it is the same exact chipset, northbridge and south. Well even then I would recommend reinstalling. Most oss do not like it when you change the motherboard they were configured to in installation.
[/quote]Unless you switched from acpi to non-acpi or uniprocessor to multiprocessor, that shouldn't be necessary. Even then you can replace hal/ntoskrnl in advance and not have any problems.

If such a problem were the cause then he would not be able to boot successfully.
September 18, 2004, 2:06 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Skywing link=board=2;threadid=8718;start=0#msg80635 date=1095473194]
If such a problem were the cause then he would not be able to boot successfully.
[/quote] True, but changing chipsets will screw up any existing windows install. You can get away with no reinstalling windows if the chipset is the same, but I would not reccomend changing motherboards without a fresh install.
September 18, 2004, 2:09 AM
Skywing
[quote author=peofeoknight link=board=2;threadid=8718;start=0#msg80637 date=1095473363]
[quote author=Skywing link=board=2;threadid=8718;start=0#msg80635 date=1095473194]
[/quote] True, but changing chipsets will screw up any existing windows install. You can get away with no reinstalling windows if the chipset is the same, but I would not reccomend changing motherboards without a fresh install.
[/quote]
Not necessarily. If you make sure that any new drivers that need to be there for the new hardware to work are preinstalled ahead of time, the PnP manager should select the right ones at boot time and things should work fine.
September 18, 2004, 2:18 AM
peofeoknight
humm... I have never heard such marvels. Could this be the messiah? :D. I would never experiment with what you are saying though, I like to reinstall. Its the best way to clean up the system. I just drop the newer versions of software into my moving kit and reinstall away. PS: I put SuSE back on my old hard drive, and I think I am going to use Konqueror for now on when I visit forums.... It highlights my spelling errors! The only problem is it is not as convenient as fire fox.
September 18, 2004, 3:41 AM
crashtestdummy
We went and got my roommate a new computer the other day and we are having the same porblem. We are only having the problem with Neverwinter Nights. I ran warcraft3 in single player custom game with 12 computers and had no problems. This site preyy much breaks her whole system down except the ehternet is is gigabit not 10//100.
http://www.exactchoice.com/ProductProfile.aspx?id=2799
I also tryed to install xp pro but then I got it installed and the drivers on the cd it came with wouldn't recognise the ethernet card built into the motherboard. I looked up the board on intel's site and they don't have the board even listed. I looked for the drivers at gateway's site and none there. Went through the support chat and the guy told me I got it at Best Buy so I should talk to best buy. I gave him a nice shove it and told him it sucked that they put out computers but don't offer the drivers. I have 4 HP computers and they have great support. If one of my computers goes down they send me a box the next day. I send it to them adn they have it back in three days max.
So needless to say I had to put the home they gave me back on. And it's not even a copy of home it's a ghost install of home with the system setup the way it came with no optin for recovery. If your system goes down it's a full reinstall so I better have whatever I want backed up. Needless to say I hate gateway now.
O well the question I have is if both of my sticks of ram are exactly the same and ideas on what would be causing the problem? I tryed it with the radeon card updated and got the problem. Then I took the radeon completely out and tryed with the builtin video and got the same. I've been working on this for the past two days.

For $1100 I think this is a sick mofo if we could just get all the bugs worked out.
September 18, 2004, 9:15 PM

Search