Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Uh Help?

AuthorMessageTime
NetNX
For all who are wondering this isnt my connection code im just trying to modify it.

[Kp edit: snipped third party code. Ask the original author to fix it for you.]
September 16, 2004, 6:23 PM
NetNX
[quote author=NetNX link=board=17;threadid=8700;start=0#msg80399 date=1095359014]
[Kp edit: snipped third party code. Ask the original author to fix it for you.]
[/quote]

Well, KP the original author(assumed userloser.) deny's making it so how can i ask him to help me ?

The bot was UserBot and i remeber userloser posting that this was not his bot.
September 17, 2004, 1:29 AM
Kp
[quote author=NetNX link=board=17;threadid=8700;start=0#msg80461 date=1095384541][quote author=NetNX link=board=17;threadid=8700;start=0#msg80399 date=1095359014][Kp edit: snipped third party code. Ask the original author to fix it for you.][/quote]Well, KP the original author(assumed userloser.) deny's making it so how can i ask him to help me ?The bot was UserBot and i remeber userloser posting that this was not his bot.[/quote]

That's your problem. I'd suggest you start by contacting the person who gave you the source. Either he wrote it, or he can start you on the path to tracking down the author.
September 17, 2004, 1:34 AM
Myndfyr
Or, even better, WRITE YOUR OWN!
September 17, 2004, 3:25 AM
CodeMaster
[quote author=Kp link=board=17;threadid=8700;start=0#msg80462 date=1095384870]
That's your problem. I'd suggest you start by contacting the person who gave you the source. Either he wrote it, or he can start you on the path to tracking down the author.
[/quote]

Finally, this is exactly what I wanted to start seeing happening.
No more taking code from a bot and asking people to fix it !!
Great job KP!
September 17, 2004, 3:49 AM
NetNX
(-.- )<^>

1. The person that originaly posted this source stated in the post that they didnt know who made it and that they downloaded off a site the site dosent exist anymore.

2. I'm getting to the point where I can write my own connection code but I'm still not quite there but while i learn im still taking other users code and modifying it to my needs.

3. I asked for help. I didn't ask for you to criticize me or what im doing. If you dont want to help dont reply... I'm sure its a waste of your time just as much as it is a waste of my time. Unless you get off on that kind of thing in which case please dont stop having fun calling me a 'newb' and what not, I'm not about to ruin your fun.

4. I fixed it. I hadnt realized that the error was my own programing outside of the connection code. i.e. i set the verbyte wrong.

GLHF
September 17, 2004, 6:44 AM
Kp
[quote author=NetNX link=board=17;threadid=8700;start=0#msg80516 date=1095403485]1. The person that originaly posted this source stated in the post that they didnt know who made it and that they downloaded off a site the site dosent exist anymore.

2. I'm getting to the point where I can write my own connection code but I'm still not quite there but while i learn im still taking other users code and modifying it to my needs.

3. I asked for help. I didn't ask for you to criticize me or what im doing. If you dont want to help dont reply... I'm sure its a waste of your time just as much as it is a waste of my time. Unless you get off on that kind of thing in which case please dont stop having fun calling me a 'newb' and what not, I'm not about to ruin your fun.

4. I fixed it. I hadnt realized that the error was my own programing outside of the connection code. i.e. i set the verbyte wrong.[/quote]

The implication of your original post was that you had come into possession of someone else's code which was not functional and you wanted us to fix it. Despite the serious degeneration of this forum (in particular, its infestation with VB "programmers"), we are not yet to the point of fixing code stolen by people too incompetent to modify it successfully. At the time of your original post, you had given no indication whether the code was stolen; on the assumption that it was not (I try to be generous), I suggested you contact your supplier for a fix. If it had been stolen, as it now appears it was, then you would be out of luck.

I don't particularly care what you do, but I do take offense at the expectation that the bot development community has nothing better to do than fix code you didn't even make for yourself. As a piece of advice for the future, telling a moderator to back off when you were the one out of line is generally not good for your standing...
September 17, 2004, 4:24 PM
KrisL
Way to lay down the law KP. The community as a whole is better for it.
September 17, 2004, 4:46 PM
NetNX
Kp, i reprogramed alot of the bot and I understand what most of it does down to the packets and what not. I only post here as a last resport i ask the people who i KNOW invented 90% of these functions you, KP and the Valhalla legends community... I asked the qustion because i had recieved an error that i havent seen before and i was sure my programing was right... and it was down to 1 line.

Now that thats cleared up.... SUGESTION!

Why dont you sticky the most asked questions to stop the people who register from asking the same questions over and over agian i.e. Bot Source Code pages Packet documentation (some people dont know where to find bnetdocs) ListView tutorials it seemed to work at bh for the month that i accually visited that place
September 17, 2004, 7:16 PM
Twix
They did make somthing for people to stop asking the same questions its that magical topic above called Battle.net Bot Development References
September 17, 2004, 7:18 PM
UserLoser.
I didn't give anyone sources, will people find something better to do?
September 17, 2004, 7:19 PM
NetNX
[quote author=Twix link=board=17;threadid=8700;start=0#msg80578 date=1095448735]
They did make somthing for people to stop asking the same questions its that magical topic above called Battle.net Bot Development References
[/quote]

but normal people (forum newbs) dont look for that and ask the same questions that are already on it...
September 17, 2004, 7:29 PM
NetNX
[quote author=UserLoser. link=board=17;threadid=8700;start=0#msg80579 date=1095448771]
I didn't give anyone sources, will people find something better to do?
[/quote]

did u make this program? if so was it stolen from you? if no and no why do u care
[quote]The bot was UserBot and i remeber userloser posting that this was not his bot.[/quote]
September 17, 2004, 7:31 PM
Kp
[quote author=NetNX link=board=17;threadid=8700;start=0#msg80577 date=1095448599]Kp, i reprogramed alot of the bot and I understand what most of it does down to the packets and what not. I only post here as a last resport i ask the people who i KNOW invented 90% of these functions you, KP and the Valhalla legends community... I asked the qustion because i had recieved an error that i havent seen before and i was sure my programing was right... and it was down to 1 line.

Now that thats cleared up.... SUGESTION!

Why dont you sticky the most asked questions to stop the people who register from asking the same questions over and over agian i.e. Bot Source Code pages Packet documentation (some people dont know where to find bnetdocs) ListView tutorials it seemed to work at bh for the month that i accually visited that place[/quote]

Previously you said you didn't know who made the bot; now you say that 90% of the code came from vL and the associated community?

As the other posters have noted, we already have a reference section. On top of that, I happen to think that a "Bot Source Code" link would he a horrible idea and that anyone who needs ListView tutorials from us shouldn't be using a listview in the first place.

[quote author=NetNX link=board=17;threadid=8700;start=0#msg80584 date=1095449485][quote author=UserLoser. link=board=17;threadid=8700;start=0#msg80579 date=1095448771]I didn't give anyone sources, will people find something better to do?[/quote]did u make this program? if so was it stolen from you? if no and no why do u care[quote]The bot was UserBot and i remeber userloser posting that this was not his bot.[/quote][/quote]

I expect he cares because he's getting tired of people coming to him for support on something he did not create. If you're any example of the type of people he's dealing with, I can see why he would be irate after a while.
September 18, 2004, 1:32 AM
NetNX
I didnt ask just him i asked the people of the bot development forum to explain to me how it works...

A good precentage of bot programers get their sub functions and what not from other open source bots my evidince of this is many bots have the same subs and functions and they are written the exact same way.... so saying that 90% of the code came from here the bot developing hotspot would be an accurate statement. Woudln't it?
September 18, 2004, 3:07 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=NetNX link=board=17;threadid=8700;start=0#msg80582 date=1095449354]
[quote author=Twix link=board=17;threadid=8700;start=0#msg80578 date=1095448735]
[/quote]

but normal people (forum newbs) dont look for that and ask the same questions that are already on it...
[/quote]

Is that anyone's fault except for the forum newbs?
September 18, 2004, 4:00 AM
tA-Kane
[quote author=NetNX link=board=17;threadid=8700;start=0#msg80647 date=1095476871]A good precentage of bot programers get their sub functions and what not from other open source bots my evidince of this is many bots have the same subs and functions and they are written the exact same way.... so saying that 90% of the code came from here the bot developing hotspot would be an accurate statement. Woudln't it?
[/quote]I badly want to flame you for the statement "a good precentage of bot programers get their sub functions and what not from other open source bots". Anyone that has to go to open source bots to make their own bot isn't really a programmer. Open source projects aren't open source so you can steal their code and slap your name on it. Open source projects are open source so you can provide your own bug fixes to it, and commit the changes back to the open source project, not to your own project.
September 18, 2004, 5:46 AM
NetNX
Kane i wouldnt immagine you to be one of these programers who steals others source codes, I dont bother submitting source back to the original author because i dont take source codes from alive projects for example the UserLoser Bot in this case. I have no idea where it came from theres nowhere to submit a finished source too, i planned on releasing this source publicly once i had finished but seeing how no1 wants me to program it i dont know why anyone should be allowed to see the source....

I'm very stressed out now been working on this source for 3 days so im done asking you assheads questions on the 'Bot Development Fourm" because no matter what i ask i get a completly offtopic response and no1 wants to help me understand how something works.
September 18, 2004, 4:10 PM
NetNX
oh yea and kane, Nice bot.
September 18, 2004, 4:11 PM
Soul Taker
Wow, you've worked on a binary bot for three days? Man that's tons of effort, if everybot took more than two days to complete, we'd be in the stone age!
September 18, 2004, 4:59 PM
Minux
[quote author=NetNX link=board=17;threadid=8700;start=15#msg80711 date=1095523853]
so im done asking you assheads questions on the 'Bot Development Fourm" because no matter what i ask i get a completly offtopic response and no1 wants to help me understand how something works.
[/quote]

You have no intent to learn, you only want code. You remind me of Gosugaming.
September 19, 2004, 6:41 AM
LivedKrad
As long as someone does not claim it as their own, how can downloading public sources and modifying them make it stealing?

And uhh, "newb". :D
September 19, 2004, 6:55 AM
Minux
[quote author=LivedKrad link=board=17;threadid=8700;start=15#msg80818 date=1095576900]
As long as someone does not claim it as their own, how can downloading public sources and modifying them make it stealing?

And uhh, "newb". :D
[/quote]

Might I add it says Newbie beside your name too? And this code was not meant for the public eyes. How would you feel if something you worked on for a long time was stolen and released?

And shortly after, people started asking you for help on the very code that was stolen and released.
September 19, 2004, 6:57 AM
LivedKrad
[quote author=NetNX link=board=17;threadid=8700;start=15#msg80711 date=1095523853]

I'm very stressed out now been working on this source for 3 days so im done asking you assheads questions on the 'Bot Development Fourm" because no matter what i ask i get a completly offtopic response and no1 wants to help me understand how something works.
[/quote]

I wonder though, you feel the need to reply Bot Development Forum in quotations, implying that no one helps you develope your bot. I'm sure the users who respond here wouldn't mind helping you with your bot, but all you complain about is source. If you want to get help with source, try the Visual Basic forum.
September 19, 2004, 6:58 AM
NetNX
The problem to witch this tread was drived is dead so stop repeating the same shit over and over agian...
September 19, 2004, 7:58 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=NetNX link=board=17;threadid=8700;start=15#msg80825 date=1095580698]
The problem to witch this tread was drived is dead so stop repeating the same shit over and over agian...
[/quote]

Go away and you won't need to see it.
September 19, 2004, 9:30 AM
Kp
[quote author=LivedKrad link=board=17;threadid=8700;start=15#msg80818 date=1095576900]As long as someone does not claim it as their own, how can downloading public sources and modifying them make it stealing?[/quote]

With regard to the downloading and subsequent usage of public sources, the general rule that I've seen for serious projects has been that the recipient

1) May use the code with or without modification
2) May distribute the code unmodified, including retaining all terms and conditions that were attached when it was received.
3) May distribute a modified form only if it is [u]clearly[/u] marked as modified, so as not to defame the original author if somebody else begins distributing a modified version which is far inferior to the real product.

I'm not trying to pick on LivedKrad here; his post was just the most appropriate one to quote for this response, which I think is relevant to his question (although not a direct answer for it).

Downloading the source, modifying it, and then stripping the original credits is at the very least dishonest (even if it does not violate anybody's intellectual property rights or licensing terms, which depends on exactly how the author released it).
September 19, 2004, 4:46 PM
iago
How you can treat the source depends on how it's released.

If it's released under "GNU", that means it can be copied, used, and modified, as long as profit isn't made, for example, gaim. There are many variations of GNU, which aren't important right now.

If it's released under "Public Domain", it may be used, modified, and sold with no penalties. For example, SRP and JavaOp.

If it's not released, it is considered stolen or leaked, and may not be used, modified, read, or copied. Are we still talking about this?
September 19, 2004, 4:51 PM
Skywing
[quote author=iago link=board=17;threadid=8700;start=15#msg80863 date=1095612686]
How you can treat the source depends on how it's released.

If it's released under "GNU", that means it can be copied, used, and modified, as long as profit isn't made, for example, gaim. There are many variations of GNU, which aren't important right now.

If it's released under "Public Domain", it may be used, modified, and sold with no penalties. For example, SRP and JavaOp.

If it's not released, it is considered stolen or leaked, and may not be used, modified, read, or copied. Are we still talking about this?
[/quote]
I assume you're talking about the GPL when you say "released under GNU" -- and in which case, you're wrong; there is absolutely nothing that precludes you from selling GPL'd software. You cannot, however, sell the binaries without providing access to the source code in some manner.
September 19, 2004, 4:58 PM

Search