Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | I'm Stupid

AuthorMessageTime
Forged
:(
I started using linux the other day so my brothers would leave my computer alone, and for some reason it doesn't read my dvd drive or my cd-rom drive. And my speakers don't work. Can someone help figure out how to mount them or w.e?

I am using College Linux and I have no idea what brand cd and dvd-rom.
September 13, 2004, 9:12 PM
iago
From the console, as root:

mount /dev/cdrom
you'll have to mount them manually. I'm off work in 2 minutes and don't want to miss my buss, so I'll get back to you :)
September 13, 2004, 9:29 PM
Adron
What about using an "automounter" ?
September 13, 2004, 9:37 PM
crashtestdummy
On the sound issue type alsamixer at a command prompt and adjust sound accordingly. It's usally set to mute by default.
September 14, 2004, 2:03 AM
Forged
I am re partioning to fix other problems, and my sound card isn't working because I have two, and I set the thing to work with the one my speakers aren't hooked up to.
September 14, 2004, 2:31 AM
peofeoknight
I fought with my sound not working. I finally went to my soundcard's manufacturer's site. I found drivers for windows, but none for anything else. I have to use onboard audio when I am on linux. Anyone know how to make a driver through linux for my pci sound card, or anything like that? I am on SuSE, and the sound card was not detected during setup. Or it picked the onboard anyway.
September 18, 2004, 3:59 AM

Search