Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | I was really bored...

AuthorMessageTime
peofeoknight
so I made a fantasy computer

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHistoryReview.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=964649

anyone else ever do this?

I am sure the pc I made above has some inconsistancies that I did not look at. Newegg did not have the parts exactly how I wanted them. I would have liked a case with a window, dual redundant hard drives, and the front hard drive swap thing. But whatever. I guess I should add a dremel to the wish list and some materials to make a nice window from. If I spent that much money I would have to show it off.
September 12, 2004, 4:03 AM
KrisL
just go design a $10000 monster at alienware.com 8-)
September 12, 2004, 5:41 AM
LW-Falcon
Why spend more money for crappier parts at Alienware?
September 12, 2004, 5:48 AM
peofeoknight
The stuff I picked is really premium. Alienware is a rip. Alienware from what I just looked at only uses single processor systems. In the headlines it says they now have a 4ghz p4 in there. Big deal. There is no single processor out there that is going to compare to dual xeons with ht, 800mhz fsb, and 1m of l2, and a 3.2ghz clock speed. My system imaginary system has much more proc power then any alien ware system, can hold more ram (I have in 8 gig of ddr2). I also have a better video card then the stock area 51, and tons more hard drive space, 600gig (actually now that I look alienware lets you get up to 800, but they rip you off while doing it). I think building a pc this way is a better deal then going nuts at alienware.com. I just went to alienware.com and got the best of everything just about and wound up with a system that was about 6000 bucks, I would pick the one I made over the alienware in a heart beat.
September 12, 2004, 6:03 AM
crashtestdummy
If it was my fantasy it would have 1024mb sticks of ram...
September 12, 2004, 6:56 AM
Hitmen
[quote]The stuff I picked is really premium. Alienware is a rip. Alienware from what I just looked at only uses single processor systems. In the headlines it says they now have a 4ghz p4 in there. Big deal. There is no single processor out there that is going to compare to dual xeons with ht, 800mhz fsb, and 1m of l2, and a 3.2ghz clock speed.[/quote]
Yeah, but dual procesors really doesn't do much at all unless you're using an application that takes advantage of it. Which uh, isn't a lot of things.
September 12, 2004, 7:04 AM
iago
[quote author=Hitmen link=board=2;threadid=8643;start=0#msg79844 date=1094972696]
[quote]The stuff I picked is really premium. Alienware is a rip. Alienware from what I just looked at only uses single processor systems. In the headlines it says they now have a 4ghz p4 in there. Big deal. There is no single processor out there that is going to compare to dual xeons with ht, 800mhz fsb, and 1m of l2, and a 3.2ghz clock speed.[/quote]
Yeah, but dual procesors really doesn't do much at all unless you're using an application that takes advantage of it. Which uh, isn't a lot of things.
[/quote]

Or you're running more than one process at once. For instance, Windows and something else?
September 12, 2004, 7:22 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=8643;start=0#msg79846 date=1094973773]
[quote author=Hitmen link=board=2;threadid=8643;start=0#msg79844 date=1094972696]
[/quote]

Or you're running more than one process at once. For instance, Windows and something else?
[/quote] So you basically have a whole processor to a game. Actually 1 whole processor / 3 virtual processors because the xeons have ht. You can have audio and video on their on dfferent processors or virtual processors depending on the game. Awesome preformance....
September 12, 2004, 1:26 PM
Skywing
Most of the audio and visual work should already be offloaded to your soundcard and videocard...
September 12, 2004, 5:10 PM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Skywing link=board=2;threadid=8643;start=0#msg79894 date=1095009036]
Most of the audio and visual work should already be offloaded to your soundcard and videocard...
[/quote] your proc still has to deal with it before that though. Then the video card worries about the direct x and all that wonderful stuff. I wounder what this system would score in 3d mark. If you are into seti, distributed folding, ligand fit, or some of the others trhis system would be a dream system. You could run that program 4 times at real time and just blow away everyone else. But I am not that into charity. The only way I would ever buy a system like that is if I were extremely rich. I mean this system is worth more then my car.
September 12, 2004, 5:18 PM

Search