Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Advanced Programming | MMX

AuthorMessageTime
St0rm.iD
I'm writing some commercial-grade 3D code, and I'm going to be using MMX instructions. Is there anyone on this forum who has some knowledge and could possibly help me out if I run in to any difficulties?
September 11, 2004, 7:39 PM
Skywing
What about SSE/SSE2?

BTW, Intel's Pentium 4 && Xeon Processor Optimization Guide has some examples of that kind of thing written to use SSE2. You should be able to freely download the PDF if you can manage to navigate Intel's developer site (good luck).
September 11, 2004, 8:28 PM
St0rm.iD
In the code I'm working with, I see a lot of #ifdef SSE, but I was told to use the extended MMX instruction set. I'm confused, what's the difference between SSE and MMX?
September 12, 2004, 3:44 PM
Skywing
[quote author=$t0rm link=board=23;threadid=8632;start=0#msg79890 date=1095003882]
In the code I'm working with, I see a lot of #ifdef SSE, but I was told to use the extended MMX instruction set. I'm confused, what's the difference between SSE and MMX?
[/quote]

MMX uses packed 64-bit quantities, SSE uses packed 128-bit quantities (with a few extra operations available too).

SSE2 lets you use packed 64-bit floats, IIRC.
September 12, 2004, 5:13 PM
Atom
A good question would be, what do you need to do? If you are going for the most power you should see what you can do by sending memory directly to the graphics card, instead of using OGL or DX. We ARE talking assembly right?
October 22, 2004, 7:48 PM
St0rm.iD
We're talking about an ultrafast DIB->pixels and back again converter
October 23, 2004, 3:25 AM

Search