Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | 120 gig drive problem

AuthorMessageTime
Denial
I recently re-installed windows through boot disk and since then my 120 gig drive wont show up or detect it has besides it "storage device" drivers not installed so i was wondering what type of drivers i would need to make it work if there was a general type of drivers or i would have to take it out then read the type of it
September 7, 2004, 11:53 PM
Crypticflare
Usually the manufacturer of your haddrive will include a disc with drivers on it for you, if not I'd check the internet and google up your HD manufacturer and see if they have a list of specific drivers for that size storage device.

If your on XP

Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Computer Management

After that loads up, click down a few rows on the label "Disc Management" find your HD thats not being recognized and format it, I've run into problems with windows not detecting mine, and after I formatted it via the method I just said, everything ran smoothly.

HTH.
September 8, 2004, 1:30 AM
Denial
On 2000 and i dunno where my disk is to my harddrive i think i threw it away or my dog ate it
September 8, 2004, 4:01 AM
crashtestdummy
Do you know if it's maxtor or western digital, or seagate? I'll lhelp look around if you can list a little more about the drive.
September 8, 2004, 4:15 AM
Denial
ya let me shut down my computer and open it and look at the drive

western digital WD1200

120 gig
September 8, 2004, 4:36 AM
Denial
Ok i got that fixed by switching cords and everything

but now i need the drivers for my cd-rom

its

creative 52x

the homesite doesnt have it i already looked if anyone could find it for me
September 8, 2004, 8:30 PM
Adron
You typically don't need special drivers for IDE or SCSI devices such as cd-rom's and hard drives.

Does BIOS detect them both?
September 8, 2004, 9:40 PM
Denial
when i switch cords the bios will detect one or the other but not both im not sure what is wrong or which im connecting wrong
September 9, 2004, 8:01 AM
crashtestdummy
Are there jumpers in the back of them? I really don't feel like pulling my computer apart to look. Or maybe it's a bad cable.
September 9, 2004, 9:46 AM
Adron
When you switch cords? How are they connected? Is one of the cords simply broken? There are switches on them that may have to be set correctly depending on how you have connected them.
September 9, 2004, 10:50 AM
Stealth
[quote author=Denial link=board=2;threadid=8583;start=0#msg79419 date=1094716902]
when i switch cords the bios will detect one or the other but not both im not sure what is wrong or which im connecting wrong
[/quote]

This definitely sounds like a jumper problem.
September 9, 2004, 2:46 PM
Adron
[quote author=Stealth link=board=2;threadid=8583;start=0#msg79439 date=1094741194]
[quote author=Denial link=board=2;threadid=8583;start=0#msg79419 date=1094716902]
[/quote]

This definitely sounds like a jumper problem.
[/quote]

A jumper problem shouldn't really be affected by the cords either.. If he has two cords and one works, I'd suspect the cords :P
September 9, 2004, 3:15 PM
crashtestdummy
But if it's detecting one or the other wouldn't it probably be that they are both set as master through the jumpers?
September 9, 2004, 3:22 PM
Adron
[quote author=muert0 link=board=2;threadid=8583;start=0#msg79445 date=1094743366]
But if it's detecting one or the other wouldn't it probably be that they are both set as master through the jumpers?
[/quote]

Oh, of course. It sounded like he was switching the cords, not switching the drives.
September 9, 2004, 3:27 PM
Denial
Well the point is this didnt happen until i unplugged it all to take out my 120 gig drive to backup my desktop because i had to load it on another computer to save it so my desktop and my documents wouldntbe lost so i figure something is connected wrong

http://diejew.com/P1010003.JPG

http://diejew.com/P1010002.JPG

pictures of my computer

well the one im having trouble with
September 10, 2004, 3:43 AM
KrisL
omfg, get rid of those flat IDE cables and buy some round ones, soooo ugly and waste of space.

Are you running both the CD-rom and the harddrive on the same IDE cable? IE: one is at the end and one is using the middle connector on the sable? If so, you need to set the jumped on the hard drive to master, aswell as connect it using the master part of the cable (end) and put your CD-rom on the middle connection of the cable (slave) and make sure your CD-Rom isnt set to be a master aswell.
September 10, 2004, 3:27 PM
Adron
I can't view the images.

If both are on the same cable, check for master vs slave. On modern cables, jumper both drives for cable select. On old cables, jumper one drive for master and one for slave, preferably the hard drive for master.
September 10, 2004, 3:41 PM

Search