Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | SuSE Linux 8.2 Install Help (using YaST 2.0)

AuthorMessageTime
Myndfyr
Well... Linux is running, and lucky for me, I'm getting to know a lot of the command-line and text-mode operation. Why? Because my new monitor isn't supported.

Evidently, YaST is detecting the wrong monitor, because it's trying to set an insanely high refresh rate which is causing my 19" Samtron to spaz out and not display anything in graphics mode.

Unfortunately, YaST finds it necessary to switch INTO graphics mode to set up the graphics adapter and monitor. Hrmm.

So, even with a text-mode installation, I can't go into YaST and manually set the refresh rate.

I tried a different monitor (which evidently is ALSO unsupported), and I couldn't change it off of "Standard VGA" with a video card that is incompatible (apparently) with my Radeon.

Needless to say, I'm frustrated.

When I get the standard install working, then I'll worry about my wireless network. But until then, I'd like to get into KDE! That's why I got Linux! Cuz I like KDE!!!

Argh!
September 2, 2004, 11:13 PM
Thing
1. Why are you running 8.2 instead of 9.1?
2. Don't run yast2 from a command line, run yast.
3. Try running sax2 for graphic configuration.
September 2, 2004, 11:47 PM
Kp
[quote author=MyndFyre link=board=2;threadid=8537;start=0#msg78802 date=1094166782]Well... Linux is running, and lucky for me, I'm getting to know a lot of the command-line and text-mode operation. Why? Because my new monitor isn't supported.

Evidently, YaST is detecting the wrong monitor, because it's trying to set an insanely high refresh rate which is causing my 19" Samtron to spaz out and not display anything in graphics mode.

Unfortunately, YaST finds it necessary to switch INTO graphics mode to set up the graphics adapter and monitor. Hrmm.

So, even with a text-mode installation, I can't go into YaST and manually set the refresh rate.

I tried a different monitor (which evidently is ALSO unsupported), and I couldn't change it off of "Standard VGA" with a video card that is incompatible (apparently) with my Radeon.

Needless to say, I'm frustrated.

When I get the standard install working, then I'll worry about my wireless network. But until then, I'd like to get into KDE! That's why I got Linux! Cuz I like KDE!!![/quote]

Lucky for you, most (all?) Linux / X / KDE configuration is stored in text files, so if you can find the file(s) that YaST is writing, you could just edit the files manually and then make a note not to ever use YaST again. :P
September 2, 2004, 11:49 PM
Thing
[quote]Lucky for you, most (all?) Linux / X / KDE configuration is stored in text files, so if you can find the file(s) that YaST is writing, you could just edit the files manually and then make a note not to ever use YaST again.[/quote]I betcha he's in too big of a hurry to learn where those files are and how to change them. I actually like the non-graphical YaST for doing online updates and software maintenance. The graphical version is a disgusting pigdog.
September 2, 2004, 11:53 PM
TehUser
Editing the settings in XF86Config may help because you can choose the resolution and sync rates manually.
September 2, 2004, 11:57 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=8537;start=0#msg78810 date=1094168869]
1. Why are you running 8.2 instead of 9.1?
[/quote]
1.) Because I have CDs with 8.2 on them. Is the upgrade to 9.1 free?
2.) I'm running yast from the command line, but yast2 is part of the boot-from-CD process.
3.) I tried running sax2, it fails.

[quote author=Kp link=board=2;threadid=8537;start=0#msg78811 date=1094168945]
Lucky for you, most (all?) Linux / X / KDE configuration is stored in text files, so if you can find the file(s) that YaST is writing, you could just edit the files manually and then make a note not to ever use YaST again. :P
[/quote]
Could you give me some hints about where these files might be? I'm *decent* with emacs. :P

[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=8537;start=0#msg78813 date=1094169235]
I betcha he's in too big of a hurry to learn where those files are and how to change them. I actually like the non-graphical YaST for doing online updates and software maintenance. The graphical version is a disgusting pigdog.
[/quote]
It's not that I'm in a hurry, it's that I'm impatient. The full process of configuring all the little tedious things about Windows is easier than this. :P But I've been wanting to learn Linux forever. :-\ But yes, the text mode is easy enough to navigate, but like I said, if I try to change the graphics settings, it NEEDS to go into graphics mode.
September 3, 2004, 1:06 AM
Kp
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=8537;start=0#msg78813 date=1094169235]I betcha he's in too big of a hurry to learn where those files are and how to change them. I actually like the non-graphical YaST for doing online updates and software maintenance.[/quote]

Yeah, but it'll do him some good to slow down and do things by hand, at least for the experience. ;)

[quote author=MyndFyre link=board=2;threadid=8537;start=0#msg78823 date=1094173608][quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=8537;start=0#msg78810 date=1094168869]1. Why are you running 8.2 instead of 9.1?
[/quote]
1.) Because I have CDs with 8.2 on them. Is the upgrade to 9.1 free?[/quote]

Linux distributions are generally free, so I'd guess yes. :P The only reason to buy them on CD is practicality of install; otherwise just download them.

[quote author=MyndFyre link=board=2;threadid=8537;start=0#msg78823 date=1094173608]Could you give me some hints about where these files might be? I'm *decent* with emacs. :P
[/quote]

Try /etc/X11/XF86Config, look for section 'Section "Monitor"'. There should be VertRefresh and HorizSync settings. Also, you should learn not to use emacs. It's liable to get you lynched by the vi-faithful.

[Edit: added response to Myndfyre, who posted while I was originally composing.]
September 3, 2004, 1:07 AM
iago
[quote author=Kp link=board=2;threadid=8537;start=0#msg78824 date=1094173654]
Linux distributions are generally free, so I'd guess yes. :P The only reason to buy them on CD is practicality of install; otherwise just download them.
[/quote]

I don't think the full version of SuSE is.
September 3, 2004, 1:49 AM
crashtestdummy
SuSE personal is free here: http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=2
SuSE profesionnal cost a little bit. You can get it here:
http://www.linuxcd.org/view_distro.php?lst=1&id_cate=22&id_distro=46
Or from SuSE here:
http://www.suse.com/us/private/index.html

What do you mean SaX2 failed? Did you type sax2 and it said there was no such thing or did you run SaX2 and it didn't fix the problem?
September 3, 2004, 10:06 AM
mynameistmp
Why do you need yast to configure your X server ? SuSE uses the XFree86 server/client suite by default, so you should be able to configure it independently (?).

You should check out the XFree86 website and/or read the man pages. I don't know how SuSE generates an initial configuration file for XFree86, but you can instruct XFree86 to probe your hardware and generate a skeleton configuration file for your system like so:

# XFree86 -configure

Then you'd use this command to run XFree86 using your new configuration:

# XFree86 -xf86config XF86Config.new

The FreeBSD handbook has a decent section on X configuration:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html
September 3, 2004, 9:07 PM

Search