Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Installing an OS from scratch

AuthorMessageTime
Eli_1
I finally got that replacement board, and got my new computer set up, but I don't know where to go from here. Right now, it boots up and lets me go into BIOS and such.

I've tried googling a few tutorials, but I'm still not positive on what steps I need to take. So far, the only thing I think I know I'm suppost to do is:

- Go on my friends computer.
- Format system disk?
- If I want to install XP, do I have to do this
from a computer with XP on it?

- C:\> SYS A:
- Put FDISK.exe and FORMAT.com on the floppy

- Boot new comp from newly formatted floppy
- A:\> FDISK
- Reboot
- A:\> Format /S C
- Remove floppy
- Reboot

- C:\>

Here's where I'm stuck. What should I do now (assuming I'm even suppost to do all that)? Any help is appreciated.
August 31, 2004, 1:19 AM
crashtestdummy
Go into your BIOS and select boot from cr-rom or disk.
Put XP disc in cd-rom and reboot. It should say press any key to boot from disk. Then just go through the install options. It's pretty self explanitory. I don't really see any reason why you have to do fdisk and stuff for a XP install it's all built into the XP disk.
August 31, 2004, 1:41 AM
Eli_1
[quote author=muert0 link=board=2;threadid=8479;start=0#msg78269 date=1093916469]
Put XP disc in cd-rom and reboot. It should say press any key to boot from disk. Then just go through the install options. It's pretty self explanitory. I don't really see any reason why you have to do fdisk and stuff for a XP install it's all built into the XP disk.
[/quote]

I didn't even know that, thanks. :P

Anyway, I don't even have an XP disk yet. The bastard is 300 dollars.

Edit: I can just have my friend burn a copy of his XP installation CD, right?
August 31, 2004, 1:50 AM
Sargera
Some more modern BIOS systems allow you to press F2 (possibly another key) to boot from a particular device that specific time.
August 31, 2004, 2:07 AM
Eli_1
I just thought it was more complicated than that. I didn't realize you just pop in the CD. I appologize for my idiot moment. :-\

[quote]Edit: I can just have my friend burn a copy of his XP installation CD, right?[/quote]
August 31, 2004, 2:10 AM
iago
You can get a burnt copy, so long as you don't mind pirating.

I get Windows XP free from my school, but if I didn't I would just use good ol' free Linux.
August 31, 2004, 2:19 AM
hismajesty
[quote author=Eli_1 link=board=2;threadid=8479;start=0#msg78273 date=1093917056]
[quote author=muert0 link=board=2;threadid=8479;start=0#msg78269 date=1093916469]
[/quote]

I didn't even know that, thanks. :P

Anyway, I don't even have an XP disk yet. The bastard is 300 dollars.

[/quote]

XP Home is $100, XP Pro is $200.

No, you can't. At least not without some h4x0r1n9/cracking - since without your own key (or exploiting Windows to think you registered) you can only use it for 90 days.
August 31, 2004, 2:19 AM
Eli_1
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=8479;start=0#msg78280 date=1093918741]
You can get a burnt copy, so long as you don't mind pirating.

I get Windows XP free from my school, but if I didn't I would just use good ol' free Linux.
[/quote]

This computer is built for, and strictly is, a gaming rig. Linux won't cut it here. :-\

Edit: However, I'm thinking of wiping dirty Win95 off of this old beast, and trying Linux for the first time on it.
August 31, 2004, 2:20 AM
crashtestdummy
Get your other computer running first. It's best to have a computer you know will work on the internet so you can get help when you come across problems when first starting out with linux.
August 31, 2004, 2:33 AM
Eli_1
[quote author=muert0 link=board=2;threadid=8479;start=0#msg78287 date=1093919631]
Get your other computer running first. It's best to have a computer you know will work on the internet so you can get help when you come across problems when first starting out with linux.
[/quote]

That's what I'm trying to do, but I don't have 250 odd dollars to fork over for this OS. :'(
August 31, 2004, 2:57 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Eli_1 link=board=2;threadid=8479;start=0#msg78293 date=1093921037]
[quote author=muert0 link=board=2;threadid=8479;start=0#msg78287 date=1093919631]
[/quote]

That's what I'm trying to do, but I don't have 250 odd dollars to fork over for this OS. :'(
[/quote] Got bit torrent? You can always get a copy of konoppix btw, you can browse the net with that and all, and it runs from cd. Yoou do not have to install it. It creates a ram drive for its self and, basically it rules. It can be very conveiniant as a recovery disk and has some other uses.
August 31, 2004, 3:23 AM
crashtestdummy
You can get knoppix here:
http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=44
If you need help figuring out how to burn the ISO into a bootable disk just say so.
August 31, 2004, 4:24 AM
Antichrist
[quote author=Eli_1 link=board=2;threadid=8479;start=0#msg78273 date=1093917056]
[/quote]

Psst, your not suppost to announce your going to be using pirated MICROSOFT programs. If Billy Gates were to see this, he'd surely be at your house right now. :-p But, yeah, you can burn XP and use it..

[Edit] Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the OS problem..

[/quote]
^^that says it all
September 1, 2004, 9:56 PM
Eli_1
[quote author=Antichrist link=board=2;threadid=8479;start=0#msg78594 date=1094075791]
[/quote]

Psst, your not suppost to announce your going to be using pirated MICROSOFT programs. If Billy Gates were to see this, he'd surely be at your house right now. :-p But, yeah, you can burn XP and use it..
[/quote]

Pssh, I simply wanted to know if it was possible. Who doesn't want to dish out $2xx for an operating system?

Edit: (retorical) :P
September 1, 2004, 9:59 PM

Search