Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Was this done by a server split?

AuthorMessageTime
MusH
Hey, this is probably a n00b moment for me, but a few days ago my channel was taken over because someone bruted a dumbass shaman's password. Since it had 5 ops, there was no way for a des to take place. My chieftan has a very complex password, and this one had only about 5 characters. He stayed on the shaman name, which he said was loaded on a shell. On the clan list, it said he was offline. I tried demoting him anyway, but he stayed on ops. I've never seen anything like it before. I wish I had saved a screenshot at a time, and I'll search for some logs and add them to this thread if I can find them.

So does anyone know what this guy did? Was it some type of server split that I heard about, or is he somehow on a private server?
August 30, 2004, 1:51 AM
LW-Falcon
Battle.net does this sometimes, just because its on a shell doesn't mean it will stay on battle.net forever, probably 3 days or so and it'll reconnect.
August 30, 2004, 1:57 AM
MusH
Yeah, in his case it disc'd the next morning ;D
August 30, 2004, 2:11 AM
MusH
Some idiot who claims to know the guy who took over my chan is saying that he can rape us through a "second server." Here's the AIM log of what he said:

KCoolBy (11:42:48 AM): steamy got bruted
KCoolBy (11:42:51 AM): but he didn't need to
KCoolBy (11:42:58 AM): all u need to do is go onto the other server
KCoolBy (11:43:00 AM): make the account
KCoolBy (11:43:03 AM): and it'll change pass

Is this true, or even possible?
August 30, 2004, 4:06 PM
Kp
[quote author=MusH link=board=17;threadid=8450;start=0#msg78169 date=1093881961]
Some idiot who claims to know the guy who took over my chan is saying that he can rape us through a "second server." Here's the AIM log of what he said:

KCoolBy (11:42:48 AM): steamy got bruted
KCoolBy (11:42:51 AM): but he didn't need to
KCoolBy (11:42:58 AM): all u need to do is go onto the other server
KCoolBy (11:43:00 AM): make the account
KCoolBy (11:43:03 AM): and it'll change pass

Is this true, or even possible?
[/quote]

Well, a few years ago, it probably was. Back before the servers were split into distinct clusters, there were lots of problems with out of sync account databases allowing overwrites. Aside from that and a recent (now fixed) stupid bug with "recovering" accounts (which would let you recover other people's accounts), I don't know of any way to accomplish what he's describing. Also, keep in mind that most of the people who make these kind of threats cannot back up the threat, which is why they're making the threat instead of using its vulnerability to actually harm you.
August 30, 2004, 4:14 PM
MusH
Whew, good. I had a feeling that this guy was lying, but it's good to be sure. Thanks :)
August 30, 2004, 4:17 PM
Kaiory
Social Engeneering is your friend
August 30, 2004, 4:18 PM

Search