Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Processors

AuthorMessageTime
The-Rabid-Lord
I am going to upgrade my computer that is currentley running with a AMD Athlon XP2000+. I want to upgrade to a pentium 4 2.8GHZ(As im on a budget). What the difference though between AMD XP, Pentium 4, Intel Celeron, and Pentium 4 Prescot. Any help will be apreciated. Thanks.

Edit: Also what socket is a Prescot chip run on or is it 478 like the Pentium 4?
August 28, 2004, 2:05 PM
crankycefx
They have new chipset motherboards, the LG775 (I think) and another.

If you are on a budget, the AMD Athlon XP 2800+ is your best bet.

Good speeds, easy to overclock to 3200+, and powerful enough to do the majority of what anyone wants.
It's only $175 Canadian.
A good athlon XP motherboard is about $150.
Matching ram, say, high quality pc3200 would be $200.
August 28, 2004, 2:58 PM
crashtestdummy
I think you're gonna have to go with a AMD chip since you have a socket A mobo.
August 28, 2004, 2:59 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
I doesnt cost much to get a new mother board. What are the power benefits from a AMD rather thanm a Pentium 4?
August 28, 2004, 3:02 PM
hismajesty
Intel locks their chips to prevent overclocking, so AMD tends to be a bit easier to overclock.
August 28, 2004, 3:30 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
Im not intrestes in overclocking really, my computer tends to build up to much heat anyway without it producing more and puting my hardware at risk. If thats the only Pro with AMD it doesnt matter what I go with then right?
August 28, 2004, 4:27 PM
LW-Falcon
I think it comes down to personal preference, choosing between Intel and AMD is like choosing between between Toyota and Honda. If you like Intel, then go for it.
August 28, 2004, 4:33 PM
Kp
[quote author=Meh link=board=2;threadid=8426;start=0#msg77771 date=1093710420]Im not intrestes in overclocking really, my computer tends to build up to much heat anyway without it producing more and puting my hardware at risk. If thats the only Pro with AMD it doesnt matter what I go with then right?[/quote]

I'd say it does matter. AMD chips tend to be cheaper individually, but they also tend to destroy themselves, so you might end up replacing it sooner than you'd intended. OTOH, if you're budget constrained and really want a chip now, an AMD chip might be a better choice for price reasons.

If heat is a serious concern, I'd suggest you do more research into both chips, focusing on: how they handle being severely overheated (last I heard, AMDs handle it by catching fire; P4s handle it by slowing down), how much heat you can expect them to generate in normal operation, minimal / recommended levels and types of cooling. Also, consider that you might need to sink some of your money into a new or more thorough cooling system. You didn't specify what kind of cooling you have so far, so I can't even speculate whether it will be "good enough".
August 28, 2004, 4:35 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
I mainly use my computer for videos, and gaming. I will be installing into my new custom built PC a few fans an cool cathodes to help keep the heat down. I leave my PC on for hours on end sometimes days. The price between either chip id go for is not much price difference. If I went for an AMD then it would be the 3000+ or an AMD 64 2800+ but if I went Pentium it would be 2.8GHZ, I was just intrested in if they had better qualitys.
August 28, 2004, 5:55 PM
Hitmen
If you're gaming a lot and want to push the best framerates for your buck, the athlon 64 is definately the right choice.
August 28, 2004, 7:18 PM
KoRRuPT
I use the intel p4 3.0 ghz, works fine for what I use it for.
August 28, 2004, 7:22 PM
Sargera
Typically, if you're using your computer as a workstation, the Intel processors will be better, but for gaming you'd be better with the AMD processors. However, when it comes down to it, a Pentium 4 2.8GHz+ w/ 800MHz FSB & HT is going to accomplish anything you need accompanied by 512+MB DDR dual-channel.
August 28, 2004, 7:57 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
Thats the configuration I was going for. Im buying the parts from http://ebuyer.co.uk
August 28, 2004, 8:00 PM
KoRRuPT
I basically only use my computer for web developement, programming and the occasional game.
August 28, 2004, 10:42 PM

Search