Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Fun Forum™ | Another bright Microsoft improvement

AuthorMessageTime
Skywing
[quote]SYMPTOMS
After you install Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1), your programs may take as much as ten times as long to start.
[/quote]
Knowledge Base article
March 29, 2003, 6:50 PM
haZe
[quote]
RESOLUTION
A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Apply it only to computers that are experiencing this specific problem. This fix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, Microsoft recommends that you wait for the next Windows XP service pack that contains this fix.

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;CNTACTMS
[/quote]

March 29, 2003, 8:23 PM
Yoni
This bug affects programs that allocate memory frequently (fortunately, this only affects 99.9% of all programs). :)
This patch (which is currently only available for a price via a phone call to Microsoft tech support as haze said) will be included in SP2. Nobody knows when SP2 will be released. (At least, I don't know. Correct me if someone does know.)

Windows XP owns, doesn't it?
My offerred solution is: Upgrade to Windows 2000.

(No, that's not a typo.) :)
March 29, 2003, 8:41 PM

Search