Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Computer Support Issues | Windows Tips

AuthorMessageTime
Grok
TOPIC RULES:

* No changing the topic rules. (unless you're Grok)

* Each reply must contain a new tip.

* This is not a discussion thread, but intended to be a list of tips.

* Preference goes to tips not documented by Microsoft, or barely documented, hard-to-find,etc.

* Set your subject title. Suggested format... Application: Tip
August 27, 2004, 5:27 PM
Grok
Skywing found and shared how to turn on console shadowing for Terminal Server.

The registry file containing the entry is here. Install the change, reboot your server, and you can now remote control a logged-in console session.
August 27, 2004, 5:29 PM
crashtestdummy
[quote]When you shut down Windows, if you have any programs running you'll get a message box warning you that a program is still running. You then have to close the program and tell XP again to shut down. It's a fairly pointless warning—better yet would be if XP automatically killed the programs without issuing the warning. That way, you wouldn't get error messages and wouldn't have to close each individual application before shutting down your computer.

To have XP automatically close programs at shutdown, run the Registry Editor and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop. Edit the AutoEndTasks key so that is has a value of 1. If the key doesn't exist, create it as a DWORD value and give it the value of 1. To disable it, either delete the key, or set the value to 0.[/quote]

From O'Reilly's: Windows XP Hacks

August 27, 2004, 6:08 PM
Yoni
I posted these already, but they should appear here.

On WinXP and Win2k3, to go back to Win2k style file search (without the stupid dog thing that barks at your file system):
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState
Make a REG_SZ entry called "Use Search Asst", and set it to "no". Change requires either restarting explorer or logoff+logon, don't remember.

Explorer on WinXP and Win2k3 behaves annoyingly with .avi files, reading info from them whenever they're selected. This makes them "in use" and sometimes impossible to delete with explorer. To fix that:
regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
August 28, 2004, 2:11 AM
crashtestdummy
It's a given that anything that runs in RAM will be faster than an item that has to access the hard drive and virtual memory. Rather than have the kernel that is the foundation of XP using the slower Paging Executive functions, use this hack to create and set the DisablePagingExecutive DWORD to a value of 1.
Note: Only do this if you have 256mb of ram or more.
Edit the Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\DisablePagingExecutive to 1 to disable paging and have the kernel run in RAM (set the value to 0 to undo this hack). Exit the Registry and reboot.
August 28, 2004, 4:22 PM
Sargera
To change the registered user of your computer and the organization:
Navigate through your registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion (start -> run -> regedit). Then find RegisteredOwner and RegisteredOrganization and change the values accordingly. Also see Computer Name under the system (start -> settings -> control panel -> system -> computer name) for other miscellaneous options.
August 29, 2004, 7:32 PM
UserLoser.
Just found this out, don't know how useful it is, but it's supposed to help against SYN floods.

Set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\SynAttackProtect (REG_DWORD) to 2.

Also, anyone know how affective this can be against SYN floods?

More information can be found here.
August 29, 2004, 8:08 PM
Hitmen
To disable the lovely explorer crashing goodness that is the media preview(that little media player thing that pops up on the side when you select a media file), find the file "folder.htt" in your winnt/web folder (it's a hidden file). Find the line <span id=MediaPlayerSpan>, delete it, save the file. I think you need to reboot after.

This saves you from that stupid thing taking a second or two to load every time you click on a media file, and I've had it often crash explorer altogether when I was going through a bunch of files.
August 31, 2004, 8:07 PM
TehUser
In the event that your copy of Windows is less-than-legitimate, it sometimes becomes necessary to change the key that you installed with. This is done fairly easily.

Step 1: Deactivate (if activated) your copy of Windows.

Start -> Run -> regedit
Browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\wpaevents
Modify the value of OOBETimer.

Step 2: Enter a new key and activate Windows.

Start -> Run -> "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a"
Select "Yes, I want to phone a customer service representative to activate Windows."
Click Next.
Click Change Product Key.
Enter the new key.
Click Update.
Reboot.
September 4, 2004, 10:06 PM
UserLoser.
Q: Why doesn't my Scanner or camera work properly anymore?

A: Windows Server 2003 incorporates a new service named Windows Image Acquisition (WIA). Since most servers are not equipped with scanners or cameras, the Windows Image Acquisition service is disabled by default to reduce system resources used by the operating system.

If you want to make your Imaging device work under Windows Server 2003 then you first need to enable the Windows Image Acquisition Service. To do so, go to Services (under Start/Programs/Administrative Tools) and find the Windows
Image Acquisition Service. Right click on it and go into its properties.
Change the Startup Type dropdown list value from disabled to automatic and reboot prior to installing your devices drivers and plugging it in.
September 5, 2004, 3:37 AM
tenbytes
I don't know if this is old or anything, but if a program is crashing, press atl + ctrl + del, and end the dumpreg instances. It will close everything that's crashing, almost instantly.
January 7, 2005, 5:21 PM
Eibro
[quote author=tenbytes link=topic=8414.msg94557#msg94557 date=1105118514]
I don't know if this is old or anything, but if a program is crashing, press atl + ctrl + del, and end the dumpreg instances. It will close everything that's crashing, almost instantly.
[/quote]The process name is dumprep, not dumpreg.
January 8, 2005, 10:31 PM
R.a.B.B.i.T
Open .reg files for edit (by default):
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell\(Default) -> change to "edit"
January 12, 2005, 2:21 AM
AcidAngel
regsvr32 /u %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll

this will disable windows xp's native zip support (thus stopping the search from going into everyone of your zip files aka wasting time), and explorer in general becomes a bit speedier. You should install winzip or alternative app right after running the command to make sure windows doesnt try to reassociate itself with zip's
November 3, 2005, 1:59 AM
JoeTheOdd
On Windows XP SP1 (perhaps SP0?) you can change the name of your recycle bin through the registry. I've tried this on SP2 and it doesn't work, though.

[code]Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-776561741-1532298954-682003330-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache]
"@C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\SHELL32.dll,-8964"="Rubbish Bin"[/code]
March 17, 2006, 3:27 PM
LordNevar
[quote author=Joe link=topic=8414.msg148543#msg148543 date=1142609248]
On Windows XP SP1 (perhaps SP0?) you can change the name of your recycle bin through the registry. I've tried this on SP2 and it doesn't work, though.

[code]Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-776561741-1532298954-682003330-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache]
"@C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\SHELL32.dll,-8964"="Rubbish Bin"[/code]
[/quote]

This can be done on all versions of XP and all version of SP.
March 17, 2006, 3:40 PM
JoeTheOdd
Not with that same key though.
March 19, 2006, 5:58 AM
MrRaza
AutoEndTasks when shuting down (To get rid of rogue applications that dont want to go away when u want to shutdown)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\

Set AutoEndTasks to 1

Unload DLLs that linger around after an application has been shutdown

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AlwaysUnloadDLL

You will have to create the last folder yourself (AlwaysUnloadDLL) and set the default key to 1.

Kill hung applications

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
Change HungAppTimeout string to 1000
Change WaitToKillAppTimeout string to 2000

Kill hung services

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

Change the WaitToKillServiceTimeout string to 2000

Speed up Menus

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

Change the MenuShowDelay string to 100

Ill think of some BIOS stuff u can adjust later.

peace.

March 20, 2006, 1:03 AM
JoeTheOdd
I see no way to create a new folder in the "Right Click -> New". Delete this and edit his post, or whatever.
September 8, 2006, 12:09 AM
Topaz
[quote author=Joe[x86] link=topic=8414.msg157640#msg157640 date=1157674197]
I see no way to create a new folder in the "Right Click -> New". Delete this and edit his post, or whatever.
[/quote]

Right Click -> New -> Folder

good one.
September 8, 2006, 12:26 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Topaz link=topic=8414.msg157641#msg157641 date=1157675168]
[/quote]

good one.
[/quote]
I'm pretty sure they're called "Key"s in the registry, not folders.
September 8, 2006, 1:01 AM
Topaz
[quote author=MyndFyre[vL] link=topic=8414.msg157647#msg157647 date=1157677313]
[quote author=Topaz link=topic=8414.msg157641#msg157641 date=1157675168]
[/quote]

good one.
[/quote]
I'm pretty sure they're called "Key"s in the registry, not folders.
[/quote]

Oh. I didn't read the other posts.
September 8, 2006, 1:14 AM

Search