Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Visual Basic Programming | Custom Icon

AuthorMessageTime
Antichrist
Simple question, for those who have done it. For my bot, how do I make an image, then use it for my bot's icon. I've made something in Photoshop, but theres not an icon extention. (*.ico) Of course, VB .net has this icon editor, but it's basic. With a paint brush, and text editor. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
August 22, 2004, 2:28 AM
ChR0NiC
[quote author=Antichrist link=board=17;threadid=8304;start=0#msg76697 date=1093141730]
Simple question, for those who have done it. For my bot, how do I make an image, then use it for my bot's icon. I've made something in Photoshop, but theres not an icon extention. (*.ico) Of course, VB .net has this icon editor, but it's basic. With a paint brush, and text editor. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
[/quote]

Google
Search for an image converter and convert your image to a .ico file. I doubt there is any other way.
August 22, 2004, 2:48 AM
Newby
Search Google for Icon Edit Pro.

It's what I use.
August 22, 2004, 3:08 AM
LordNevar
Just rename the file to name.ico, if your on windows XP it will auto adjust the image.
August 22, 2004, 12:20 PM
Antichrist
I'll search google, thanks. I've tried just renaming the file, and it deffinately doesnt work. It asks if you chance the file extention the file may become unusable, and it did. Thanks.
August 22, 2004, 2:44 PM
Quarantine
Whoa I never knew that , thanks Lord Nevar!
August 22, 2004, 4:17 PM
R.a.B.B.i.T
[quote author=Antichrist link=board=17;threadid=8304;start=0#msg76697 date=1093141730]
[/quote]There is a Photoshop plugin that allows for this.
August 23, 2004, 5:27 AM
LordVader
Also if you've got a image already to use just open it in photoshop or whatever select all (alt+a) then copy(alt+c)..

Then in Vis studio C++ or VB's editor:
Create a new blank icon in the editor then paste(control + v) or find the "Paste" button/menu item..
Your image should drop right in.

In Vis Stuidio C++ in the resources editor it allows this so im sure it's the same in the vb editor to..
Then save the project/workspace and it should ask you what to save the icon as, if not just rename the default it created..
usually icon1.ico or w/e in the editor and save..
August 30, 2004, 12:13 AM
Grok
[quote author=LordNevar link=board=31;threadid=8304;start=0#msg76770 date=1093177252]
Just rename the file to name.ico, if your on windows XP it will auto adjust the image.
[/quote]

I do not think you meant what it looks like you said. Renaming some file to .ico will not make it a windows icon file. It will make Windows think the contents of the file are in icon file format, but when it goes to interpret those contents as an icon, it will be gibberish. To convert between image formats, you need a tool that knows the formats of both endpoints. Or you can use a tool that can read format A and DIB, with another tool that can read DIB and write format B.
August 31, 2004, 11:36 AM
KkBlazekK
I find IconCool Editor works very well...
September 2, 2004, 2:09 AM
Palio
now that u've got an icon..... hopfully
if ya want to add it to a vb form go to the properties
window of that form there should be a ICON properte in
the list just click and link it
September 7, 2004, 9:58 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
[quote author=Palio link=board=31;threadid=8304;start=0#msg79275 date=1094594326]
now that u've got an icon..... hopfully
if ya want to add it to a vb form go to the properties
window of that form there should be a ICON properte in
the list just click and link it
[/quote]
Better watch out vL, with this guys knowledge he'll take you over...........JK
September 7, 2004, 10:14 PM
LivedKrad
Sarcastic little guy eh? ;)
September 12, 2004, 5:55 AM

Search