Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Thunderbird vs Outlook

AuthorMessageTime
jigsaw
Give me your guys' input. What do you use? Compare the two.. pros/cons.
August 21, 2004, 6:37 AM
Newby
Well uh, I personally don't like outlook beacuse mines takes forever to load. Not to mention the fact that it's just so plain.

And I don't like thunderbird beacuse of the fact taht I can't supply an extra SMTP server per account.

Otherwise, I'll take thunderbird all the way. It's sexier looking!
August 21, 2004, 6:38 AM
crashtestdummy
I actually downloaded thunderbird around 10 last night. I've never used outlook but I like thunderbird a lot. It was easy to configure and I can check both my accounts in a minute or two.
August 21, 2004, 10:23 AM
jigsaw
anyone elses input?
August 21, 2004, 5:00 PM
Thing
I'm a proud supporter of all Novell products and use Ximian Evolution. Unfortunately, there is no Winders version ... yet.
August 21, 2004, 5:12 PM
jigsaw
Thing you ODB looks at the damn topic.. do you see ximian in there you lazy horse shit. btw I love you *kiss*.
August 21, 2004, 5:13 PM
Thing
[quote]btw I love you *kiss*[/quote]GODDAMMIT now I'm pregnant you furtile bastard! You better marry me!
August 21, 2004, 5:17 PM
Stealth
I use BOTH Outlook Express and Thunderbird, and I have to say that Thunderbird is a fine piece of software. In fact, if it had the ability to check e-mail accounts en-masse, I would use it for everything.

You CAN specify multiple SMTP servers, you just have to dig for it. In the SMTP Settings dialog, you have to click Advanced, and you're treated to a little screen that lets you edit or add SMTP servers. Then you change the server an e-mail address is using in its Account Settings -> Advanced section.

I like Thunderbird's e-mail attachment handling better as well. Seems to operate more smoothly than OE's.

Otherwise, it looks, talks and acts better than Outlook. Definitely a win for Mozilla.
August 21, 2004, 6:15 PM
LW-Falcon
I'm not that picky on e-mail software, as long as I can send and receive mail with it and doesn't cause my system problems I'm happy. But OE is pretty plain looking.
August 21, 2004, 8:46 PM
Sargera
Why do you think Outlook Express is plain looking? It looks very clean, organized, and is easy on the eyes. It also does the job, and does it well. I also tried Thunderbird, and it's quite good I'll admit. But I personally will continue to use Outlook Express due to my familiarity with it and I just like it overall better than Thunderbird.
August 22, 2004, 3:29 AM
Stwong
Thunderbird > Outlook
Thunderbird: Lower cost of ownage
Outlook: Lower cost of 0wnage

(shamelessly stolen from slashdot, sue me :P)

At any rate, in my experience, Outlook / Outlook Express have had far too many silly, easily preventible security holes. Use protection! Don't have unprotected email! :P
August 22, 2004, 4:24 AM
Sargera
Hmm, I've used Outlook for over 2 years, and I've never had one instance where I was 'attacked' or threatened by some vulnerability in it. I guess people should stop opening obvious spyware/virus-associated email.
August 22, 2004, 5:22 AM
Kp
[quote author=Sargera link=board=2;threadid=8277;start=0#msg76736 date=1093152170]Hmm, I've used Outlook for over 2 years, and I've never had one instance where I was 'attacked' or threatened by some vulnerability in it. I guess people should stop opening obvious spyware/virus-associated email.[/quote]

Easier said than done, given the nature of some of the sneakier attacks. Consider: 1) the average computer user is even more clueless than you, 2) Windows by default hides some file extensions, so one file type appears to be another, 3) sufficiently malformed e-mail messages have been known to cause the receiving client to take various actions simply because the e-mail body was viewed (which, if your reader is set to view messages in a secondary frame as soon as you highlight the title, is extremely bad!).

There's also the typical pro-diversity argument to be considered: if you run the same program as lots of tempting targets, you're in more danger than if you run an obscure program that is not generally worth attacking (due to too small userbase, too good security, whatever). It doesn't matter who makes the software - if it's a lucrative target, using it makes you a target too.
August 22, 2004, 5:35 AM

Search