Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Yoni's Math Forum | Parentheses fatigue

AuthorMessageTime
Yoni
Have you ever had parentheses fatigue (you know, it's when you're reading some forum very similar to this one, and someone makes a really long post, and in the middle of one of the sentences opens a left parenthesis and starts a sub-paragraph inside this, usually without any full-stops - all one sentence like, and in the confusion caused by this, ends up never closing the parentheses and leaving the reader somewhat "dazed" for some reason, feeling like there's something wrong, sometimes having to go all the way back to the beginning of the parentheses and read the whole thing over from there, so it'll make sense again, as if there is a certain mind switch caused by those left parentheses, where you go into "this is a small comment that will end within a few words" mode. It's frustrating.
August 19, 2004, 3:14 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
I get that feeling while reading your post :P
August 19, 2004, 5:34 PM
Soul Taker
[quote author=Yoni link=board=36;threadid=8243;start=0#msg76271 date=1092928480]
Have you ever had parentheses fatigue (you know, it's when you're reading some forum very similar to this one, and someone makes a really long post, and in the middle of one of the sentences opens a left parenthesis and starts a sub-paragraph inside this, usually without any full-stops - all one sentence like, and in the confusion caused by this, ends up never closing the parentheses and leaving the reader somewhat "dazed" for some reason, feeling like there's something wrong, sometimes having to go all the way back to the beginning of the parentheses and read the whole thing over from there, so it'll make sense again, as if there is a certain mind switch caused by those left parentheses, where you go into "this is a small comment that will end within a few words" mode. It's frustrating.
[/quote]
Yes. I agree.
August 19, 2004, 10:15 PM
Adron
No, never.
August 20, 2004, 12:14 AM
Arta
The missing parenthesis was the least of that post's grammatical problems.
August 20, 2004, 2:24 AM
Balistik
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=board=36;threadid=8243;start=0#msg76360 date=1092968659]
The missing parenthesis was the least of that post's grammatical problems.
[/quote]

You stole my post! Bastard!
August 20, 2004, 4:14 AM
iago
I find it's worse when I'm programming, compounded statements always confuse me. I have a tendency to use nested if's instead of and's.
August 23, 2004, 1:07 AM

Search