Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | What is a good image viewer for Windows?

AuthorMessageTime
Yoni
ACDSee is too slow lately, so I accept all answers that are not

1. ACDSee
2. Windows image viewer (yuck).
August 18, 2004, 1:58 AM
Netcooler
For reference, we've tried the following:
IrfanView
Lview
VuePrint
Older versions of ACDSee (i.e. 5, 6, 4, 2.4 32bit)

We prefer open-source image viewers, so Yoni can mess with them. You see, Yoni doesn't have much to do in his spare time, so please... Think kindly of the Yonis. Give them an open-source program to play with.
August 18, 2004, 2:02 AM
crashtestdummy
Here's a few to check out. I haven't messed with any of them but they are all open source and yoni needs somthing to do.
http://www.jairlie.com/oss/suggestedapplications.html#graphics
August 18, 2004, 2:43 AM
Maddox
XnView
August 18, 2004, 3:01 AM
Adron
I use ACDSee 2.43, and I don't find it all that slow. If you find a much faster one, tell me. What I would like if it would have better quality image resizing. It's kinda annoying to watch photos that become jagged just because the image viewer doesn't know how to properly scale them. Perhaps a newer version of ACDSee would work, or whatever nice fast viewer you find.
August 18, 2004, 4:07 AM
BaDDBLooD
what exactly are you guys talking about?
August 18, 2004, 4:24 AM
Yoni
[quote author=Adron link=board=2;threadid=8220;start=0#msg76113 date=1092802053]
I use ACDSee 2.43, and I don't find it all that slow. If you find a much faster one, tell me. What I would like if it would have better quality image resizing. It's kinda annoying to watch photos that become jagged just because the image viewer doesn't know how to properly scale them. Perhaps a newer version of ACDSee would work, or whatever nice fast viewer you find.
[/quote]That is EXACTLY the main (only?) reason I've been using a later ACDSee. But in addition to that one great useful feature, it comes with a hundred more unneeded ones, and it's slower than the older versions.
August 18, 2004, 7:41 AM
Grok
[quote author=Yoni link=board=2;threadid=8220;start=0#msg76128 date=1092814907]
[quote author=Adron link=board=2;threadid=8220;start=0#msg76113 date=1092802053]
[/quote]That is EXACTLY the main (only?) reason I've been using a later ACDSee. But in addition to that one great useful feature, it comes with a hundred more unneeded ones, and it's slower than the older versions.
[/quote]

Tell me which precise features you want.
August 18, 2004, 11:19 AM
Yoni
1. I want it to view images (major formats + .psd if possible) and animated gifs. I don't care for anything else. Absolutely required are jpg, gif, png, whatever else is supported is all the better.
2. I want it to be FAST.
3. I want to be able to zoom in with a non-crappy zoom algorithm.*
4. I want to be able to scroll between pictures in the same folder, similar to what ACDSee does when you press page-up or page-down.

* See above - old ACDSee vs. new ACDSee. The good zoom algorithm is called "bicubic interpolation" and ACDSee 5.0+ supports it (I don't think an earlier version does). It is slightly slower than the linear zooming algorithm, but in this case it's more important than speed.
August 18, 2004, 1:05 PM
Spht
I use Jasc Paint Shop Pro. It has the fastest algorithms I've seen for rescaling/resizing images. It's very easy to use and has plenty of features. I use Jacs Animation Shop for creating/viewing animations.
August 18, 2004, 1:31 PM
Yoni
Two more features that exist in ACDSee and that I like.

5. http://yoni.valhallalegends.com/stuff/ACDSeeFileBrowser.jpg - I like this a lot.
6. http://yoni.valhallalegends.com/stuff/ACDSeeBatchRename.png - I like this a little. Not required.
August 18, 2004, 1:47 PM
Grok
Elaborate on zooming. PaintShop Pro zooms differently than other softare, in that it uses whole zoom values like 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x... last I checked. It did not support ZoomToFit, Zoom to nnn%, etc.

Fast is relative to the libraries. I am using Pegasus ImagXpress v7.0 Pro for everything.
August 18, 2004, 2:06 PM

Search