Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Excess of Grok | Florida 10th?

AuthorMessageTime
Grok
Florida getting a preseason ranking of 10th by the coaches is absurd. There is no good reason to believe that Florida will win the SEC East. LSU, Georgia and FSU will destroy Florida this year. The Gators have to play Tennessee at Knoxville too, but should be favored, although I think they will lose. Even so, no 8-3 team with no quality wins will be ranked 10th. Maybe 16th or lower with strong media bias, but 10th is a joke.

What is West Virginia doing 11th? The coaches who voted in the ESPN/Coaches poll need a urinalysis.

These preseason polls always set some team up for a big fall. Last year was Auburn. This year the torch is for the Gators, apparently. It will be a slow, painful fall as the losses will be in the 6th, 8th, and 11th games of the year.

Sadly, Gators will believe their preseason hype for the first 5 games, and enter the LSU game at a possible 5-0, thinking that LSU at home is a possible win (Tiggers in the Swamp? No Problem, we have Leak!)
August 4, 2004, 10:56 AM
DrivE
No good wins? Excuse me, but we beat the "Champions" LSU, Georgia, and Arkansas which were all Top 10 teams at the time of our victory. Grok you're just mad because you are all about the Seminoles, who are nearing the end of their rope. Its not our problem FSU's season is going to be next to cooked after Game 1 against Miami.
August 4, 2004, 2:50 PM
Grok
Once again you enter the conversation with pure gibberish without having read what was said. How can last years wins be counted in this year's statement of "Even so, no 8-3 team with no quality wins will be ranked 10th."?

Since that is apparently difficult to understand, I am talking about this coming 2004 season ... Florida will be 8-3 "with no quality wins" and therefore cannot possibly be ranked 10th.

For people to think they would be 10th, they must be thinking Florida will beat at least one of those two, and possibly two of them. I just don't see Florida getting anything but crushed by all three.
August 4, 2004, 3:05 PM
DarkMinion
OH YEAH WELL WE BEAT OLE MISS AND THEY BEAT YOU SO NYAH NYAH NYAH NYAH SUCKA 8)
August 4, 2004, 10:21 PM
DrivE
You might consider the fact that the coaches might be more qualified to speak on who should be ranked where than you are. They might just know what they're talking about...
August 5, 2004, 6:19 PM
Grok
[quote author=Hazard link=board=6;threadid=8023;start=0#msg74205 date=1091729983]
You might consider the fact that the coaches might be more qualified to speak on who should be ranked where than you are. They might just know what they're talking about...
[/quote]

Wow, you made an ontopic, good point that made sense! Yes, I suppose the coaches might be so qualified. But generally, the coaches poll is regarded as junk by most sportswriters. This is because coaches are so busy recruiting players, and coaching their teams, scouting their opponents, that they have little time left to study teams that are not on their schedule. So writers cannot believe that coaches not possibly know enough to vote in a poll. The average college football fan watches more teams across the USA than most coaches.

Now they may be right, the coaches, I grant you that. My argument was that *if* you are ranking a team 10th, you are probably suggesting that they win at least 9 games, right? My assertion, and opinion, is that while Florida has been great over the years, this year is not likely for them to avoid losing to Georgia, LSU and FSU. They might get lucky against Georgia, as collegefootballnews.com (foxsports) has picked them to win that game, but I doubt it.

Hazard, I apologize for the opening remark in this reply, it was kinda smirkish, but I would like to have good football conversations with you, and everyone else. But sometimes the things you say have been from deep space nine or somewhere. At times I cannot figure out what you had been responding to. Well anyway, good to have you back and coherent :)
August 6, 2004, 2:28 AM

Search