Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Web Development | You know your job sucks when...

AuthorMessageTime
St0rm.iD
You get an email after you send the beta:

[quote]
That looks pretty good. I have spoke to a couple of the other members of Bravo Squad and our general know a friend who is a web designer too. The general has asked him to create a web site as well. Both of you are about the same price. So after the finished product, which ever has the most impressive web site will be the one we will go with.
[/quote]
August 3, 2004, 3:22 PM
Thing
Assuming that you had already made a deal with them on this project, I would advise you to tell them to fuck off. Do they live anywhere near Dallas? I'll go and tell them for you. >:D
August 3, 2004, 5:52 PM
Grok
Yeh really, don't do any work without a contract.

But if you do, you took all the risk, so do not sell/transfer the ownership of the project. Just sell them a usage license.

If your customer is willing to pay-as-you-go in development, or a fixed rate arranged up front, in those cases I would consider transferring intellectual property rights.

I have libraries that I wrote over several years, on my own time, that I charge a $3000 run-time usage license. As I update the source code, I send them new a new library. At no time do they get the source, because they did not risk in the investment.
August 3, 2004, 8:31 PM
peofeoknight
Web design is too time consumeing to try to compete with someone. When doing freelance stuff we must remember we are professionals, and we should get a professional hourly rate. I'd be more then willing to have a custumer pay me in spurts or a little up front a lot later or whatever, as long as they sign a contract first. I can be flexible as long as I know I have a notarized document saying I will not get screwed. I wish I had more time to moonlight and do freelance work :-\
August 3, 2004, 8:43 PM
j0k3r
Speaking of which, Mitosis made a website out of jpgs, I told him it was wrong, he asked me to teach him for a fee, I helped him through some steps for an hour then he said he had to leave and he'd give me $7 (OH JOY, it's the average hourly rate here anyways). When he leaves, he asks me to do the whole site for him. I grundgingly agreed to start it, spent 5minutes and had it half done. He gets back, tells me his friend will do it for free and refused to pay.

The moral of the story is Mitosis is [s]a fag[/s]special.

Edit: No attacks, I thought it was fine because he is no longer a user but what the hey.
August 4, 2004, 1:26 AM
peofeoknight
rofl
August 4, 2004, 2:08 AM
St0rm.iD
Mitosis can't figure out HTML.
August 4, 2004, 3:29 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=$t0rm link=board=22;threadid=8008;start=0#msg73997 date=1091590192]
Mitosis can't figure out HTML.
[/quote] I find that hard to believe. I bet he is just too damn lazy to try. I damned monkey can learn markup.
August 4, 2004, 5:25 AM
St0rm.iD
its true. lets hax0r him
August 4, 2004, 10:21 PM

Search