Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Computer Case and their mods

AuthorMessageTime
crankycefx
Hey all,

I just picked up my case for my new computer, and a power supply that came with it.
Lian-Li PC 6089

What a great case.
Aluminum, thumbscrews, IDE drive cage, sliding mobo tray, side-window....

The previous owner put in a fan in the side-window, and I'm pondering more case mods after I get the internal components of the PC.

Any ideas?

Links:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=10173&vpn=PC-6089&manufacture=LIAN-LI
July 24, 2004, 3:42 PM
peofeoknight
got a dremel?

Air cooling or water?
July 24, 2004, 3:57 PM
crankycefx
No, I don't.

Air cooled.

I may go with the simplistic add-on mods for now.
Black-light LED , maybe get a grill carved out of the top of the case for a 80mm fan...but I'm not sure how that would work with the other fans.

Might disrupt the airflow?
July 24, 2004, 4:06 PM
jigsaw
Just take off both sides of the case and put a floor fan blowing right through... its the best way... if you want it to look cool you can duct tape a MAGLITE on there, maglites are cool because police use them to beat people. How cool is that?
July 24, 2004, 5:10 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=jigsaw link=board=2;threadid=7850;start=0#msg72210 date=1090689044]
Just take off both sides of the case and put a floor fan blowing right through... its the best way... if you want it to look cool you can duct tape a MAGLITE on there, maglites are cool because police use them to beat people. How cool is that?
[/quote]
Actually that sounds pretty sweet, too bad only one side of my case comes off.
July 24, 2004, 5:38 PM
peofeoknight
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=7850;start=0#msg72218 date=1090690716]
[quote author=jigsaw link=board=2;threadid=7850;start=0#msg72210 date=1090689044]
[/quote]
Actually that sounds pretty sweet, too bad only one side of my case comes off.
[/quote] got a dremel lol?

The reason I have been asking if people have dremels is because with one you can carve your case right up. I was going to say, lian li cases do not have a lot of places for fans, so cut a nice big hole in the window, and nice big blow hole on the top, then drop some 120s in. Put a 120 in the front as well if you do not have a fan spot there, or two 80s if you cant having something 1as tall as 120 right there.
http://www.xoxide.com/fangrga.html

I am a fan of case lighting, I have a fan control pannel that also controls my cathodes, it came with 2 blue cathodes. Its a 3.5''. http://www.xoxide.com/vanenx3fanli.html
July 24, 2004, 5:42 PM
j0k3r
Please clarify what you mean by "dremel", I've never heard the term and couldn't find what it means.
July 24, 2004, 6:26 PM
crankycefx
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000302Y1/002-4360942-1181617?v=glance
July 24, 2004, 6:48 PM
Hitmen
Dremel is a small tool that spins a little disk really fast. Generally used for cutting. But be cafeful, trying cut through a case can often times destroy the cutting disk if not done carefully.
July 24, 2004, 6:50 PM
peofeoknight
[quote author=Hitmen link=board=2;threadid=7850;start=0#msg72253 date=1090695044]
Dremel is a small tool that spins a little disk really fast. Generally used for cutting. But be cafeful, trying cut through a case can often times destroy the cutting disk if not done carefully.
[/quote] additionally aluminum cases can be very hard to cut, the metal likes to bend and such. It is good to cut a stencil out of a sheet of steel or aluminum first... just a little sheet, you can pick it up at lowes or wherever for a few bucks.

I say dremel, but I do not even have a dremel, I have a 'craftsman rotary tool', its the same thing, its a rotary tool, has a bit (almost like a drill bit, but its not for drilling, its for cutting, Id have to show you the sides of it, I can't really put how it looks into words), and works just like a drill but you keep it flat and move it sideways. They are not hard to use, but you just need to be real careful when working on cases because if you screw up, you are SOL.
July 25, 2004, 3:12 AM

Search