Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Windows Server 2003 Pagefile Size?

AuthorMessageTime
Myndfyr
Hrm....

Throughout my days on XP, since upgrading to 1gb of RAM, I've had my pagefile set at a nice, fixed, cozy 768mb. I figured 1.75gb of total virtual RAM was enough for Windows anyway. In continuing the tradition, when I installed Server 2k3, I have been keeping an eye on my pagefile usage through task manager, and set my pagefile to 768m fixed. I have found that if I don't let Windows resize my pagefile, things typically run more smoothly.

However, tonight I was installing MSDN for visual studio 2005, and I got one of the warning balloons that said my virtual memory was too low and Windows was automatically increasing the size of the page file.

I want to keep it static. Does anyone have any suggestions?
July 24, 2004, 9:21 AM
Adron
Increase the size or run fewer programs? There aren't really any other options... 1.7 GB of virtual memory, 768 of which as page file, should be enough in most cases, but you've obviously found a case where it wasn't.

I have 1024 MB page file and 768 MB RAM, and that has been enough for me so far.

One thing to notice: I'm pretty sure Windows prefers increasing the page file over freeing up memory. Not verified, but it seems consistent with what I've experienced. Example:

If you load up a program that takes 800 MB RAM, and then don't use it for a long time, while at the same time running some small application that copies 2 GB of files from one disk to another, you might get that message. Windows will notice that that program isn't being used and should be written to the page file, because it would rather use the whole GB of RAM as cache for the files being copied.

July 24, 2004, 11:40 AM
St0rm.iD
It's sad, seeing how bloated everything is nowadays.
July 24, 2004, 2:40 PM
crankycefx
*chants quietly from the distance*
Unix....unix....unix!
July 24, 2004, 3:08 PM
Adron
Unix? Which one? Memory management can vary widely....

Also, not all things are getting bloated, but many things handle much fancier graphics than they used to. Image processing or video processing is among the things that require the most memory...
July 24, 2004, 3:33 PM
crankycefx
I would love to say BSDi..but I haven't any experience with it.
Or solaris.

So...Free and Net!
Free-net
Great combination of words.
*rambles on*
July 24, 2004, 3:39 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Adron link=board=2;threadid=7846;start=0#msg72171 date=1090669223]
Increase the size or run fewer programs? There aren't really any other options... 1.7 GB of virtual memory, 768 of which as page file, should be enough in most cases, but you've obviously found a case where it wasn't.

I have 1024 MB page file and 768 MB RAM, and that has been enough for me so far.

One thing to notice: I'm pretty sure Windows prefers increasing the page file over freeing up memory. Not verified, but it seems consistent with what I've experienced. Example:

If you load up a program that takes 800 MB RAM, and then don't use it for a long time, while at the same time running some small application that copies 2 GB of files from one disk to another, you might get that message. Windows will notice that that program isn't being used and should be written to the page file, because it would rather use the whole GB of RAM as cache for the files being copied.
[/quote]

Heh, it's funny that you should mention that Adron.

This was when I was playing World of Warcraft (see WoW.exe) on XP:
[img]http://www.armabot.net/wowss/taskmgr.jpg[/img]

Then I installed the MSDN documentation, about 2gb of files to the hard drive. :) This was the only instance I've ever had with 1.75gb of total virtual memory being a problem. :-/
July 24, 2004, 6:39 PM

Search