Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development References | Reference Enhancement Requests

AuthorMessageTime
Tuberload
If there is anything anyone would like to see added to the Battle.net Bot Development Reference, as far as enhancements are concerned, please post them. I am looking for ideas that would help make this a more useful resource.

Please DO NOT post links to threads you would like added. Post them here.
Please DO NOT request naked pictures of me! Put those requests in iago's forum.

Edit--Fixed link. (Spht)
July 17, 2004, 9:33 AM
Adron
Maybe off-topic, but I think an example of a malfunctioning VB program with a tutorial for how to debug and fix it would be very useful to many bot programmers.
July 18, 2004, 9:39 AM
Tuberload
[quote author=Adron link=board=45;threadid=7742;start=0#msg71131 date=1090143567]
Maybe off-topic, but I think an example of a malfunctioning VB program with a tutorial for how to debug and fix it would be very useful to many bot programmers.
[/quote]

Consider it done. It is a little off-topic as far as what I consider bot development, but I think you're right; it would be useful to many. I will try and come up with a few examples of errors that might occur in common code that is floating around and how to fix them.

Addition: If anyone would like to contribute to this please contact me via IM. Visual Basic is probably the most needed examples, but I would like to post tips for various other languages as well.
July 18, 2004, 10:33 AM
Adron
[quote author=Tuberload link=board=45;threadid=7742;start=0#msg71137 date=1090146784]
Consider it done. It is a little off-topic as far as what I consider bot development, but I think you're right; it would be useful to many. I will try and come up with a few examples of errors that might occur in common code that is floating around and how to fix them.
[/quote]

Ultimate version: An example project with some common errors in it, available to download from a link. A written tutorial that takes you step by step through finding and fixing the bugs in that project. Another example project with some similar errors in it, for you to try and find and fix the errors in.
July 18, 2004, 9:12 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=Adron link=board=45;threadid=7742;start=0#msg71199 date=1090185173]Ultimate version: An example project with some common errors in it, available to download from a link. A written tutorial that takes you step by step through finding and fixing the bugs in that project. Another example project with some similar errors in it, for you to try and find and fix the errors in.
[/quote]

Do you think it needs to be an actual working binary bot, or would small examples of common things be sufficient?
July 19, 2004, 12:10 AM
Tuberload
Another idea I have his to maybe restart my bot development e-zine and post it here, or possibly just allow members to post approved articles. That way we can get more content that is geared towards teaching something instead of just old discussions. Either way it’s more up to you guys so let me know what you think. I don’t want to do anything if nobody will find it useful.
July 19, 2004, 3:33 PM
Adron
[quote author=Tuberload link=board=45;threadid=7742;start=0#msg71217 date=1090195828]
Do you think it needs to be an actual working binary bot, or would small examples of common things be sufficient?
[/quote]

No, I don't think it has to be a whole working binary bot. If it was, people might try to use that as a basis for their code and complain about the bugs in it :P

It should be something that is a bit good / nice / fun / amusing to run, but nothing that people will want to build their own version of. Print their name in blue or display a list of the icons in icons.bni or something. It would be good if it had representative errors though - one would have to look at what kinds of errors are most often asked about on the botdev forum.
July 19, 2004, 3:34 PM
Tuberload
If anyone would like to contribute to the Debugging section of the reference, it would be greatly appreciated. Visual Basic 6.0/.NET, C#, C/C++, are the language contributions that would be most helpful. I do not have the time available right now to try and create my own examples in each of those languages. I will be providing Java debugging help shortly, and I may provide VB 6.0, and possibly C/C++ ones as well if they do not get taken care of in the near future. If you would like to create a tutorial for a language not listed above, please feel free to do so as long as it is a suitable language for creating a Battle.net bot.

If you’re interested, please contact me via the forums IM, or MSN.

TIA,
Tuberload
July 28, 2004, 8:38 PM
MesiaH
This looks like an easy one, look me up tubby, MesiahTheGreat on AIM.

If hosting it will be a problem, You could very well use these forums.

Create a thread for the bot ezine, and make it private. Those who will be working and contributing possible articles to the ezine, will be given a password to access the forum.

Do this for a while and wait for it to have enough content for the public to view.

If possible, just make it locked so only people contributing can post.

That would probably be the quickest solution.
September 24, 2004, 3:45 AM
Tuberload
Yes, anything I do will be integrated into this forum one way or another.

I was going to wait until I had more time, but I guess I could draw up an outline now for anyone interested in contributing.

I just found out I have to find another place to live, so give me a few days to sort my life out and I will get back to you.
September 24, 2004, 7:43 PM

Search