Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Blizzard Employment

AuthorMessageTime
ChR0NiC
Basically, there are alot of people here who I think are good enough for some of these jobs, and if you aren't aware of these job openings, you really should check this stuff out, and get where the action is.

[quote]
Job Update 7/12/04

New Job Opening - BONS Administrator
Blizzard is looking for an experienced Network Administrator to help keep Blizzard Online Network Systems running day and night. If making hardware, software, and networks work together 24x7 to keep developers and gamers worldwide happy is your dream job, then check out the BONS Administrator position for more details.
[/quote]

[quote]
New Blizzard North Job Opening - 3D Character Animator
Blizzard North's art department has an immediate opening for a 3D Character Animator. We are looking for someone with experience animating human and non human characters in a realistic manner. If you love 2D and 3D animation and want to bring your exceptional skills to our team, please look to our 3D Character Animator posting for more information.
[/quote]

[quote]
New Blizzard North Job Opening - Interface Artist
Blizzard North is looking for a talented Interface Artist to fill a new position on their development team. If you have exceptional artistic and design skills and are looking for an opportunity to apply your experience in the game industry, this might be the job for you. Take a look at the new Interface Artist job post for more details.
[/quote]

[quote]
New Blizzard Job Opening – Java Web Developer
Blizzard Entertainment has an immediate opening for a qualified Java Web developer, who will be responsible for helping to develop tools to support World of Warcraft. If you wield the required skills and desire to contribute to one of the hottest MMORPGs in development, see our Java Web Developer job post for further details
[/quote]

[quote]
New Job Opening - Senior Network Analyst
Blizzard's IS department is looking for a senior network analyst to design and support the network infrastructure that our development teams use to make our games great. If you have advanced experience in hardware, software and networking and love games, see our Senior Network Analyst posting for details.
[/quote]
July 15, 2004, 11:20 PM
KoRRuPT
Why would anyone want a job at blizzard?
July 16, 2004, 12:27 AM
hismajesty
[quote author=Akamas link=board=2;threadid=7722;start=0#msg70679 date=1089937639]
Why would anyone want a job at blizzard?
[/quote]

What's wrong with it?
July 16, 2004, 12:36 AM
UserLoser.
Network Administrator would be fun :) Would be neat if you were an admin on Battle.net or something
July 16, 2004, 12:55 AM
KoRRuPT
Its a dead end job, dosen't allow you to express your creativity. I would be more interested in the creation of a game, instead of the maintenance.
July 16, 2004, 12:55 AM
crashtestdummy
How is it a dead end job?
July 16, 2004, 1:05 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=muert0 link=board=2;threadid=7722;start=0#msg70694 date=1089939910]
How is it a dead end job?
[/quote] Like he said no creativity, plus you can't move up. You are not likely to be promoted anywhere from jobs like those, you will be there, forever. You are stuck being their grunt, doing mindless jobs. A web design / dev job may be fun, but if you are a programmer watch you will get stuck doing the next version of the blizzard updater for patches... woopy. Its for that reason what if I ever go into the comp sci feild (I would rather be more into hardware) that I would need to start my own company, for fear that if I work for an existing company they will put me on the team that is working on the next version of ms word.

Someone here please apply for network admin and move wherever they need you then post back... I have some strings I need pulled. Like that stupid pause when you get kicked from a game of the host leaves so you can't see the list or join a new game... this is in starcraft of course.
July 16, 2004, 1:11 AM
j0k3r
I believe in the computer world you work for a company for awhile and after you gain experience you can apply/are recruited for a better job in a higher position at another company. Putting something such as maintenance of existing system (or whatever you want to call it) for a big company would look impressive IMO.
July 16, 2004, 1:15 AM
peofeoknight
How packed is the job market in the computer feild right now? There was that out sourcing to india thing, but now there are all these new jobs, how many are in the tech sector, anyone know? Its not something I have been following. I would like to work for a company like intel, amd, nvidea, ibm, or some other big chipset / processor manufacturer... maybe a big video card maker.
July 16, 2004, 1:22 AM
crashtestdummy
New jobs? My mom's got a doctorate in computer science and 9 years exp and cant find a job. A waiter at a restaurant I worked at has 12 years admin exp and he cant find a job. They are about to lay off all the programmers at blue cross blue sheild here for an Indian company.
And you really think working for any of those companies is gonna be any better than blizzard? You think any job isn't gonna be tedious.
July 16, 2004, 1:30 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=muert0 link=board=2;threadid=7722;start=0#msg70699 date=1089941402]
New jobs? My mom's got a doctorate in computer science and 9 years exp and cant find a job. A waiter at a restaurant I worked at has 12 years admin exp and he cant find a job. They are about to lay off all the programmers at blue cross blue sheild here for an Indian company.
And you really think working for any of those companies is gonna be any better than blizzard? You think any job isn't gonna be tedious.
[/quote] Its something I am interested in though. I would rather be experimenting, and doing some math to make something physical then to sit and type c++ all day. I guess its just my mind set.
July 16, 2004, 1:44 AM
Grok
[quote author=peofeoknight link=board=2;threadid=7722;start=0#msg70695 date=1089940302]
Like he said no creativity, plus you can't move up. You are not likely to be promoted anywhere from jobs like those, you will be there, forever.[/quote]

So wrong, so so wrong.

[quote][color=cyan]Blizzard Entertainment is a division of Vivendi Universal Games, an operating unit of Vivendi Universal. Vivendi Universal is listed on the French stock exchange (#12777) and also the New York Stock Exchange under ticker symbol ‘V.’ [/color][/quote]

Vivendi Universal's average yearly revenue the last two years is over $42 Billion. I'd love to be in a dead-end company like that.
July 16, 2004, 2:25 AM
jigsaw
42 Billion.. pffft, I made that last year recycling aluminum cans.
July 16, 2004, 4:20 AM
jigsaw
... I must be an alcoholic.
July 16, 2004, 4:20 AM
jigsaw
Requirements

* Strong customer service skills
* Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate and present complex issues and analyses in an effective manner.
* Good organization and time management skills
* Must be highly dependable, with a "Can Do" attitude
* Must have extensive hardware experience (ability to build, diagnose and repair computers; strong troubleshooting skills)
* Must be familiar with an array of software and operating systems (Linux, Windows, etc.; installing and maintaining all Microsoft OS's)
* Must have networking experience (Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft network environment)
* Intermediate to advanced knowledge of network routing technologies (TCP/IP, DNS, WINS, management of NT/AD domains)
* Must be able (and willing) to lift a minimum of 70lbs.
* Must be experienced in playing computer games and have a familiarity with game software/hardware
* Must be local to Orange County, California
* Must have intermediate knowledge of *nix in a networking environment
* Must be available on-call for emergencies; must be able to work non-standard hours

Is it me or does it really say:
"Must be able (and willing) to lift a minimum of 70lbs."

Which means half of the internet weaklings wont cut it.. lol.
July 16, 2004, 4:23 AM
peofeoknight
lol hey jim, I know you are hard at work with that code, but when you get a chance can you move these boxes over from shipping and receiving to the storage room down the hall?
July 16, 2004, 4:24 AM
idoL
I would prefer not to work for blizzard unless my skills met the pay I recieved. The nostalga of being a "admin" or a "rep" seems to lure alot of people in, when it's really just a another word for "dead end tech job" or "cubicle job".
July 16, 2004, 10:27 AM
crankycefx
I think Grok is right.

Working for them would be like working for EA.

Have you seen EA's new building? The place has a courtyard, coffee shop or something, lounge, and gym.

Vivendi is a massive company, and Blizzard is another one also.

I'd absolutely love that job, personally, but I don't have the kind of 'credentials' they look for.

(Yes, jigsaw, I'm an internet weakling..*sobsob*) - lol

Those are amazing opportunities, especially if you're young.
July 16, 2004, 2:43 PM
KoRRuPT
The only thing about blizzard is they're focused on one theme of gameing. Their warcrap and starcrap or whatever else they do, it's either futuristic or medieval. EA has a much wider range of gaming which allows the designer / creator / programmer to express his creativity thru the games he most enjoys.
July 16, 2004, 5:10 PM
Sargera
[quote author=Akamas link=board=2;threadid=7722;start=15#msg70763 date=1089997819]
The only thing about blizzard is they're focused on one theme of gameing. Their warcrap and starcrap or whatever else they do, it's either futuristic or medieval. EA has a much wider range of gaming which allows the designer / creator / programmer to express his creativity thru the games he most enjoys.
[/quote]

Blizzard has a pretty wide range of games...Anyways, they are all successful, and that's even more worthwhile to work for Blizzard. And also, I do believe there is plenty of room to 'express your creativity.' And btw, not everything is about 'expressing your creativity.'
July 16, 2004, 6:10 PM
ChR0NiC
[quote author=Akamas link=board=2;threadid=7722;start=15#msg70763 date=1089997819]
[/quote]

You just won't be happy until you own your own company and can do whatever you want will you? Well *NEWSFLASH* with an attitude like that you are never going to get anywhere, you have to work yourself to the top, you can just start at the top you ungrateful punk >:(
July 16, 2004, 7:32 PM
peofeoknight
If you can;t express your creativity and do some things your own way then you are a gunt, a peon, a mindless servent.
July 16, 2004, 8:07 PM
Sargera
[quote author=peofeoknight link=board=2;threadid=7722;start=15#msg70832 date=1090008421]
If you can;t express your creativity and do some things your own way then you are a gunt, a peon, a mindless servent.
[/quote]

If that's your perspective, then whatever...But last time I checked, the reason why we get jobs is to make money, and if you like programming, and you are getting a job at a company that creates games, then you'd like what you are doing, right? Even if you don't get to do everything your own way. That's life. And also, I would imagine they let their programmers, artists, etc. have their own opinions on what should be done. That's why they have meetings to discuss plans for the next phase of the game, etc.
July 16, 2004, 8:10 PM
Hitmen
You think programmers ideas are never incorporated into games..?
July 16, 2004, 8:14 PM
peofeoknight
I am not talking about games in particular.... I am just saying, if you have no control then you are a grunt, this applies to everywhere. I would get burned out if I got stuck making the next version of ms word or something like that. Maybe you guys could sit there and do it, but I know I would not be able to... it would take a butt load of money to motivate me.
July 16, 2004, 8:18 PM
ChR0NiC
[quote author=peofeoknight link=board=2;threadid=7722;start=15#msg70841 date=1090009122]
I am not talking about games in particular.... I am just saying, if you have no control then you are a grunt, this applies to everywhere. I would get burned out if I got stuck making the next version of ms word or something like that. Maybe you guys could sit there and do it, but I know I would not be able to... it would take a butt load of money to motivate me.
[/quote]

What more can you hope for unless you run your own company?
Your expectations are too high, alot of jobs are people being given instructions to follow, then they complete it. Why should you get any better treatment?
July 16, 2004, 8:26 PM
Eli_1
I've talked to people that program for a living, and apparently, it's not easy finding a job like that. I'd be more than happy to work for a company like Blizzard (Vivendi?).
July 16, 2004, 8:49 PM
peofeoknight
[quote author=ChR0NiC link=board=2;threadid=7722;start=15#msg70844 date=1090009602]
[quote author=peofeoknight link=board=2;threadid=7722;start=15#msg70841 date=1090009122]
[/quote]

What more can you hope for unless you run your own company?
Your expectations are too high, alot of jobs are people being given instructions to follow, then they complete it. Why should you get any better treatment?
[/quote] Thats why I would sort of hope to start my own company one day. I have some ap credits in microeconomics, and plan to take some business courses in college along with my comp engineering classes.

I have a friend who was aporgrammer for micron, the software they use within their company, but he was layed off but got this huge severance package or whatever you call it, but he said the worst part is he can't get an employee discount on ram anymore. Hes back in grad school now, and getting married at the end of summer, so hes doin pretty good I guess.
July 17, 2004, 1:02 AM
KoRRuPT
[quote]Blizzard has a pretty wide range of games...Anyways, they are all successful, and that's even more worthwhile to work for Blizzard. And also, I do believe there is plenty of room to 'express your creativity.' And btw, not everything is about 'expressing your creativity.' [/quote]

mmm Wide range? Can you please give us a list of these games?
July 19, 2004, 5:59 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=Akamas link=board=2;threadid=7722;start=15#msg71325 date=1090259957]
[quote]Blizzard has a pretty wide range of games...Anyways, they are all successful, and that's even more worthwhile to work for Blizzard. And also, I do believe there is plenty of room to 'express your creativity.' And btw, not everything is about 'expressing your creativity.' [/quote]

mmm Wide range? Can you please give us a list of these games?
[/quote]
Diablo series, starcraft "series", warcraft series, vikings. I don't know what else you'd be looking for? Maybe want them to make counter-strike? Virtual reality game? A game where you can be Jesus? They're a company which makes fantasy/futuristic-fantasy games, and has been successful with all of their games. They have a fan base in the millions and provide free online play. I don't see what you are complaining about.
July 19, 2004, 6:31 PM
KoRRuPT
Like I said before ALL their games are the same, all to do with strategy games, so no they don't have a wide range. I would rather work on a game like counter-strike, or grand theft auto.
July 19, 2004, 7:07 PM
crashtestdummy
Ok all the GTA games are exactly the same. Three and vice-city are different because of advancements in technology but other than that they are exactly the same. All first person shooters are almost exactly the same. So that's not a very valid arguement to me.
July 19, 2004, 7:15 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=Akamas link=board=2;threadid=7722;start=30#msg71340 date=1090264066]
Like I said before ALL their games are the same, all to do with strategy games, so no they don't have a wide range. I would rather work on a game like counter-strike, or grand theft auto.
[/quote]
OMG NOT STRATEGY, THAT'S OBVIOUSLY SUCH A NARROW MARKET. Frankly, first person shooters bore me because they're all the same, WW2/War FPS are even worse, and Grand Theft Auto is a repetitive game. Also, why wouldn't Blizzard stick with Strategy games? I have yet to play a strategy game that comes close to the quality Blizzard puts out.

Oh wait, Diablo 2 is an RPG, doh?
July 19, 2004, 7:35 PM
KoRRuPT
Wow joker settle down, its just a discussion. I was just facing my opinions, I wouldn't want to work for blizzard period.
July 19, 2004, 8:06 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=Akamas link=board=2;threadid=7722;start=30#msg71340 date=1090264066]
[/quote]
That isn't an opinion statement. Also, settle down? I was proving my point, and didn't get excited at any point while posting.
July 19, 2004, 8:09 PM
crashtestdummy
Why was it brought back up it seems like a pretty dead end conversation. You've already stated that you wouldn't work for Blizzard over and over again.
July 19, 2004, 8:11 PM
kamakazie
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=7722;start=30#msg71351 date=1090267756]
That isn't an opinion statement. Also, settle down? I was proving my point, and didn't get excited at any point while posting.
[/quote]

Perhaps he is alluding to your excessive use of caps in your last post? That is unnecessary and trollish.

July 19, 2004, 8:13 PM
Adron
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=7722;start=15#msg71332 date=1090261903]
Diablo series, starcraft "series", warcraft series, vikings. I don't know what else you'd be looking for?
[/quote]

What about ghost? Or was that cancelled?
July 19, 2004, 10:05 PM
j0k3r
There's a link on blizzard's main page to Ghost, however I've heard over and over it was cancelled. Ghost is a part of the starcraft "series" (which fully includes a game, expansion pack and half-done game).

Akamas made a stupid statement, and I responded with something just as stupid, and he seems to understand.
July 19, 2004, 10:29 PM
Adron
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=7722;start=30#msg71380 date=1090276163]
There's a link on blizzard's main page to Ghost, however I've heard over and over it was cancelled. Ghost is a part of the starcraft "series" (which fully includes a game, expansion pack and half-done game).
[/quote]

I thought ghost was going to be a fps though. Which was the main category missing in Blizzards games.
July 19, 2004, 10:30 PM
crashtestdummy
http://www.blizzard.com/ghost/pressrelease.shtml
Tactical action console game
July 19, 2004, 10:43 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=Adron link=board=2;threadid=7722;start=30#msg71382 date=1090276250]
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=7722;start=30#msg71380 date=1090276163]
[/quote]

I thought ghost was going to be a fps though. Which was the main category missing in Blizzards games.
[/quote]
Oh yeah I forgot totally about the genre of it. From what I've seen it looks a little bit like (uh, that game where the lead character is snake) and Splinter Cell, but she does have a rifle and I believe you do use it.
July 20, 2004, 12:00 PM

Search