Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | CD blew up

AuthorMessageTime
Twix
last night i was playing diablo 2 and i hear this loud bang and i look at my comp and the cd rom was half open and there was a dent on the side of my case when i took apart my comp the cd was in million of peices and it cut my cord going to my cd rom to the hard drive
July 15, 2004, 4:06 AM
Hitmen
http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=mall0133p
July 15, 2004, 4:16 AM
zorm
Pictures please!
July 15, 2004, 4:38 AM
Twix
my parents are to jewish to get a digital camera i wish i had a pic thow
July 15, 2004, 4:42 AM
crashtestdummy
The pieces of cd went through your drive and cut the power chord in the back?
July 15, 2004, 5:27 AM
Twix
Dont ask me how it manged to happen but if u watched myth busters there was a problem befor with this happen
July 15, 2004, 3:49 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=Twix link=board=2;threadid=7713;start=0#msg70498 date=1089906579]
Dont ask me how it manged to happen but if u watched myth busters there was a problem befor with this happen
[/quote]

I saw that episode and the proved it true I believe. Been awhile I can't quite remember.
July 15, 2004, 7:08 PM
KoRRuPT
I saw this "myth" on a show called myth busters, and they proved that a normal cd rom drive cannot blow up a disc. Bare inmind if you warm up the disc ahead of time say in the microwave it will blow up much easier.

When they performed their test they used a router motor, and attached it to the slot where the disc clicks onto. Once it was turned on at peak RPM's it would blow up. But when tested on an average cd rom drive, the disc wasn't affected.
July 15, 2004, 7:16 PM
Hitmen
A CD generally only "blows up" in the drive if it has a crack on the inner ring of the disk. I saw this happen to many many people when I used to read the battle.net boards.
July 15, 2004, 7:28 PM
KoRRuPT
Yah, that sounds about right.
July 15, 2004, 7:30 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=Akamas link=board=2;threadid=7713;start=0#msg70542 date=1089918994]
I saw this "myth" on a show called myth busters, and they proved that a normal cd rom drive cannot blow up a disc. Bare inmind if you warm up the disc ahead of time say in the microwave it will blow up much easier.

When they performed their test they used a router motor, and attached it to the slot where the disc clicks onto. Once it was turned on at peak RPM's it would blow up. But when tested on an average cd rom drive, the disc wasn't affected.
[/quote]

That's right. I forgot it was only effective on the routor and not an actual CD-ROM.
July 15, 2004, 7:34 PM
MichaeL
Werent they using like a 50x cd-burner?
July 18, 2004, 2:59 AM

Search