Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Drive letter revolution. (Read this. It will rock your world.)

AuthorMessageTime
Yoni
In old times, computers had only floppy drives. The drive letter A: was chosen, and B: for a secondary drive (if any).

When hard drives became standard hardware in computers, the next letters were used - C:, D: and so forth, for hard drive partitions. When optical drives (CD-ROM, etc.) were introduced, they also used the next letters.

Today, we are in modern times. Floppy drives are antiques.

Today, while setting up my new computer, I realized that I haven't been using floppy drives for years. On my old computer's motherboard, the floppy drive IDE port has a few broken pins, which means I'm unable to use it. It's been like this for about 2 years, and it never bothered me! On the new computer, the first thing I did when getting it was open it, and physically remove the floppy drive. I did this before even starting it up for the first time.

Modern computers usually have one or two optical drives. A computer with a DVD-ROM + a CD-RW drive is a common sight. However, floppy drives are completely useless.

The revolution immediately follows:

Assign the drive letter A: to the primary optical drive, and the drive letter B: to the secondary optical drive (if such exists). Drive letters C-Z will be all hard drives and network drives.

So simple, yet so brilliant. Why didn't anyone think of this before?
July 12, 2004, 1:12 AM
hismajesty
Floppies are still used widely in my school, and probably others. I use my thumbdrive so I don't care either way, but eh.
July 12, 2004, 1:18 AM
zorm
Most people don't use their optical drives like they do a floppy drives. A better replacement would be reserving A: and B: for use with removeable usb/firewire harddrives and memory sticks. Then atleast it would serve the same general purpose if nothing else :p
July 12, 2004, 1:19 AM
Thing
You all sound like Winders users to me. Down with drive letters!!!
July 12, 2004, 1:20 AM
Soul Taker
I use D: through I: right now as optical drives and virtual optical drives, so only having two letters reserved for them would suck.
July 12, 2004, 1:46 AM
peofeoknight
I have no need for the floppy. I use usb flash memory for just moving a file or two to another pc. Also my mp3 player doubles as a 40gb usb hard drive, I can move files from pc to pc with that.
July 12, 2004, 2:55 AM
iago
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=7666;start=0#msg69858 date=1089595232]
You all sound like Winders users to me. Down with drive letters!!!
[/quote]

iago@laptop:~$ mount
/dev/hda5 on / type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hdc on /mnt/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/usbhd type ntfs (rw,uid=1000,umask=0077)
iago@laptop:~$

Owned!
July 12, 2004, 3:39 AM

Search