Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | SMF Anyone?

AuthorMessageTime
TaGBaN
Well I'm not sure if anyone from vL knows or not. But the original YaBB SE Dev team, has moved on, and stopped work on YaBB SE. The new project, entitled "SMF" or 'Simple Machines Forum' is a very complex and intricate forum system, but still complies to the common YaBB SE Love.

Either way, if you're interested, they have entire converters, so you don't lose any posts, and also the SMF boards are a lot faster as well as cleaner. Its really up to you, but if you'd like to see some in action: http://www.bnet.cc/forums

The SMF website: http://www.simplemachines.org

Cheers!
~TaGBaN
July 11, 2004, 11:20 PM
Hitmen
Eww, it may load faster but that is definately *not* cleaner, especially the forum index.
July 11, 2004, 11:30 PM
hismajesty
Yes, this has been mentioned here a number of times. I like YaBB SE more.
July 11, 2004, 11:40 PM
Thing
Allow me to save you and others the trouble of searching for other topics that suggest changing forum software...

I will migrate forum software when I get damn good and ready. I already have the replacement picked and I'm not saying what, when or where.
July 11, 2004, 11:43 PM
TaGBaN
Alright sorry, I was just suggesting. :(

It does have a lot more features, and a much nicer templating system. As you can see from my website, its kinda hard to write a template for it, but im still working on it. :(
July 11, 2004, 11:56 PM
Grok
[quote author=TaGBaN link=board=2;threadid=7664;start=0#msg69839 date=1089590175]

It does have a lot more features, and a much nicer templating system. As you can see from my website, its kinda hard to write a template for it, but im still working on it. :(
[/quote]

If it's such a much nicer templating system, it should be easy to write templates for it.

However, Thing owns this server, runs the forum, and administrates its security. I trust him and he has never disappointed us. His competency level exceeds, demonstratedly far, that of you who might casually suggest to know what is better for us.

In Thing We Trust!
July 12, 2004, 12:06 AM
Tuberload
[quote author=TaGBaN link=board=2;threadid=7664;start=0#msg69839 date=1089590175]

[/quote]

I am a fan of SMF as well so I use it. Then again I only used it because I liked YabSE and that was the newest forum release from its creators at the time. I thought the template system was very easy to use. It allowed me to customize almost everything I wanted, everything else I just had to edit elsewhere.
July 12, 2004, 12:39 AM
zorm
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=7664;start=0#msg69835 date=1089589429]
Allow me to save you and others the trouble of searching for other topics that suggest changing forum software...

I will migrate forum software when I get damn good and ready. I already have the replacement picked and I'm not saying what, when or where.
[/quote]

You've soo been hinting at SMF for like 6 months now! :p
July 12, 2004, 12:15 PM
Thing
It's still in beta, Zorm. I don't feel the need to install software that I'm going to have to keep messing with right now. Maybe I'll try RC1 but it depends on my work load at the time. You have to understand that every friggin day I have to see what vulns have popped up and patch boxes all over the southern US. It gets to be annoying sometimes.
July 12, 2004, 12:27 PM
zorm
Im not saying you'd switch over to it right now or anytime in the near future. I was just pointing out that you've suggested it in other posts on this forum. Also if you didn't use linux you wouldn't have to patch your boxes every day! (sorry I had to :p)
July 12, 2004, 1:28 PM

Search