Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Another IE exploit...

AuthorMessageTime
crashtestdummy
It seems they only fixed half the problem with that last patch. Is it really that important to do everything halfassed when you make millions-billions of dollars a year.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5259374.html
July 7, 2004, 3:52 PM
crashtestdummy
Microsoft says it'll take months to fix the problems and suggest using firefox.
http://www.wi-fitechnology.com./displayarticle1294.html
If most of you are already reading half the stuff I'm posting. Which is what I think someone was pointing out earlier let me know.
July 10, 2004, 4:09 PM
crankycefx
That's bullshit.

MSN is a seperate entity from Microsoft.
They are not one in the same.

We do not reccomend to our customers to use Firefox.

Nonsensical news reporting.
July 10, 2004, 4:50 PM
crashtestdummy
We? Who are you? And where do you get MSN from?
July 10, 2004, 4:52 PM
Grok
[quote author=cefx- link=board=2;threadid=7604;start=0#msg69527 date=1089478243]
That's bullshit.

MSN is a seperate entity from Microsoft.
They are not one in the same.

We do not reccomend to our customers to use Firefox.

Nonsensical news reporting.
[/quote]

?
July 10, 2004, 4:52 PM
crankycefx
Sorry, let me explain a bit more in detail.

As a business and corporate entity, MSN is a seperate entity from Microsoft.

Granted, Microsoft is the propietor of MSN, however anything that someone at MSN says != Microsoft reccomended.

For instance..
MSN Technical support are not microsoft representatives, but rather, MSN representatives.

MSN may be reccomending Firefox, but Microsoft is not.
There was an article recently by the Head IE Engineer, who called "IE" the under-dog of browsers and said it's been very difficult.
He, and other engineers, made *no* endorsements or reccomendations of Firefox.

The blatant attempt by that news report to say "Microsoft reccomends Firefox" is bullshit, aka nonsensical news reporting.
July 10, 2004, 4:57 PM
crashtestdummy
Ok do you have a link that says this. Or is it just something your pulling out of your ass? And when you say we do you think you are bill gates?
July 10, 2004, 4:59 PM
crankycefx
No.

I work for Microsoft by proxy.

I've spoken with MSN numerous times in regards to such things.
July 10, 2004, 5:05 PM
crankycefx
This is from the second link you posted.
[quote]
Scottsdale AZ -/July 9, 2004 - The Wi-Fi Technology Forum/- Microsoft's own "Slate" online magazine is now recommending that people abandon Microsoft Internet Explorer for Mozilla Firefox, a competing free Web browser. Never before in the history of Microsoft have I seen anything quite like this. In Slate's "Webhead" column for June 30, 2004, author Paul Boutin describes Firefox glowingly and tells readers how to install it for secure Web access.
[/quote]

Hot-damn. We were told Slate was an MSN Internet provider provided magazine.
Bleh.
When you get down to the facts, MS gets sketchy. Shit changes everyday.

Anyways....
Essentially, this isn't Microsoft reccomending Firefox. They're just stating that it doesn't have as many vulnerabilites.
Yet.

It's only a matter of time till popularity makes Mozilla a target and the vulnerabilities come flooding in.

Opera's good, because nobody uses it or targets it.
July 10, 2004, 5:13 PM
crankycefx
Hahahahahaha.

Amazingly enough, we were actually just told at work to every now and then mention to customers to "give the option for other browsers" for their choice until Service Pack 2 comes out later this month.

One thing I hate about this job, is we're sometimes not kept up to date and look like assholes...

Sorry guys. :)
July 10, 2004, 5:23 PM
crashtestdummy
[quote]This is from the second link you posted.[/quote]
No shit it's from the second link the first post was made on july 7. Maybe you should pay attention more.
What do you do for microsoft answer phones?
July 10, 2004, 5:46 PM
crankycefx
Uh.
Dates have no correlation. :)
July 10, 2004, 5:56 PM
crashtestdummy
So you're the janitor? That explains a lot. Blah I'm about to just delete the whole thread.
July 10, 2004, 5:59 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=muert0 link=board=2;threadid=7604;start=0#msg69541 date=1089482344]
Blah I'm about to just delete the whole thread.
[/quote]

I am by no means a moderator here, but from past experience I would recommend against that. :)
July 10, 2004, 6:04 PM
iago
[quote author=Tuberload link=board=2;threadid=7604;start=0#msg69543 date=1089482683]
[quote author=muert0 link=board=2;threadid=7604;start=0#msg69541 date=1089482344]
Blah I'm about to just delete the whole thread.
[/quote]

I am by no means a moderator here, but from past experience I would recommend against that. :)
[/quote]

It's not possible anyway
July 10, 2004, 7:51 PM
crashtestdummy
So, if you posted the first post and then later removed it the rest of the post would stay in tact? Which I wouldn't delete it on the simple fact of what Adron said yesterday or I think it was yesterday. I don't even remember what htread it was on.
July 10, 2004, 8:06 PM

Search