Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | code theft and distribution

AuthorMessageTime
LockesRabb
Something has come across my attention, and I've already checked into this- I can fully vouch for what he has stated. I even have personally accquired the mentioned files as well as a few of the scripts.

<<Written by Grant S. of Oklahama>>
I'm writing about the site, BNET.cc.

This site has committed theft of copyrighted sources, and given them out to people. These sources CAN and WILL be used in making the games of Blizzard, no matter which game, unfair. BNET.cc has also IPBanned the Blizzard company from even trying to watch their activities or accessing their site. TaGBaN of BNET.cc (TaGBaN is the owner of the site) has been putting on illegal Third party programs as well as stolen clanscripts made by various creators/organizations on the site, HIDDEN however listed in plain view in their forums, as well as listing a way to access those files. I managed to download all of the source codes for those bots, as well as one of the clanscripts. He has recently accquired more, but has have of yet to make then available. The purpose of all this is to exploit Battle.net's servers by needlessly giving out sources to Programmers everywhere and the Programmers who receive these files, they can create harmful or illegal programs and scripts, and depriving the rightful creators of proper due credit.

Please take action against them so we may have a better set of servers from Battle.net without Scums of the Internet sabotaging it.
<<---- END ---->>

I inquired into this by contacting TagBan personally- he has stated he intends to distribute ALL scripts' source code regardless of authors' wishes if the scripts are ever sold for profit, even if the scripts aren't intended for battle.net. I found this alarming as TagBan has already succeeded on a large scale.

Please assist Grant in correcting this most grievious situation by emailing objections, complaints, suggestions, questions, or comments to the following addresses:

support@netwire-solutions.com (tagban's host)
support@blizzard.com

My apologies if this post has been determined offensive- I merely found this an issue of concern since he is releasing the source code for those bots and scripts without the authors' consent, and that fellow coders would like to know.

My apologies for any inconvience, and my thanks for you taking the time to read this. Best Regards.
July 7, 2004, 7:40 AM
Moonshine
(a) Nobody really cares (as far as I know around 80% of bots are most likely complete cut&paste jobs)

(b) If authors don't want their source code given away, they shouldn't release it to anyone they don't trust

(c) I don't know if you're trying to use rhetoric and propaganda to ruin "Tagban" or not, or if you're just seriously unaware of the goings on surrounding bnet, but source code to these kinds of programmes are released in *numerous* other locations. In fact, I've never even heard of Bnet.cc
July 7, 2004, 9:17 AM
The-Rabid-Lord
It wasnt released though. The sites were hacked and the code taken. They were designed to be sold, but someone stole it and relaeased it to Tagban.
July 7, 2004, 10:17 AM
iago
If you release your code yourself (opensource), this isn't a problem :)
July 7, 2004, 12:26 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
The guy didnt release it is what Kyro is saying.It was copyrighted and not open sourced.
July 7, 2004, 12:38 PM
Adron
[quote author=Kyro link=board=17;threadid=7599;start=0#msg68989 date=1089186006]
support@blizzard.com
[/quote]

What relevance does emailing Blizzard have?
July 7, 2004, 1:21 PM
iago
[quote author=Adron link=board=17;threadid=7599;start=0#msg68999 date=1089206491]
[quote author=Kyro link=board=17;threadid=7599;start=0#msg68989 date=1089186006]
support@blizzard.com
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hmm, Adron should have some experience with code theft, back from ye olde NBBot days. I think people still use his ripped off source.
July 7, 2004, 3:21 PM
Quarantine
I leaked ClanTEK 3 and I have Clan sKs scripts ready to be leaked when I check them over for backdoors. I really see no problem since no bot developer charges to use thier bots and bots are by far harder to make than Clan Scripts. I dont see why PHP coders should charge for thier code. So I do anything in my power to ensure a Free Gaming Development for Battle.net. This is getting so bad that no one can even run a Clan withought Money. I do have all of the break offs from ClanTEK 1.0 ( NetTEK , ProTEK, ChronTEK , ect) but I found them to be messy and backdoored most of the time so I have not released them. I am Bnet.cc's source for all of thier Clan Scripts . One question...why do you feel the need to post in these forums about that? If you didnt like it you could of PMed me and I would of told you to Fucking Suck it up in private. >:(
July 7, 2004, 3:31 PM
iago
[quote author=LW-Warrior link=board=17;threadid=7599;start=0#msg69013 date=1089214299]
I would of told you to Fucking Suck it up in private. >:(
[/quote]
It's hard to take you seriously with a snoring cow beside your name.

July 7, 2004, 3:34 PM
LockesRabb
To the person who asked what relevance emailing blizzard would have- this is due to the distribution of the source code whose release wasnt authorized, could be easily used to abuse battle.net. It's already being abused bad enough as it is.

Even then, what about the scripts? I'm well aware that their distribution was never authorized, that they were never given out. They were stolen. I've already spoken with some of the creators. They assert that they are unhappy with the matter of the code being stolen and given away for free- that was extremely damaging to them business-wise since the scripts were designed to be sold.

As for Warrior- what you don't realize is: those bots were developed for the use of battle.net, which is owned and operated by Blizzard, as thus is subject to their TOS. So that gives people broad prerogative to do what they will with it. Scripts however are entirely another story- scripts were not designed to work with battle.net, but to function as a clan portal for any gaming clan, including but not limited to battle.net, counterstrike, unreal, etc- clans. Those scripts ( ie: DarkActive) were developed by legimate businesses for the purpose of targeting sales to gamers interested in setting up a clan portal the easy way instead of having to do all of the legwork. By distributing this code for free, and without the creator's prior consent, you're violating multiple laws including copyright infringement, software piracy, and so forth. I've already contacted a legal consultant, and he is in full agreement- we're now setting up a joint effort working in conjunction with other clanscript creators to copyright their scripts with the government- once we submit the copyrights, we will prosecute any illegal distributors to the fullest extent allowable by law of the distributor's respective country. You'd be well advised to quit leaking other people's hard work. I'm a clanscript creator myself- it took me six months to develop my own clanscripts- so I can appreciate the effort that takes- and you went and tossed that into the drain for other creators hoping to gain compensation for their efforts.

<<Edit: Also, enough evidence has been gathered on bnet.cc, so assistance will be given to the clanscript creators whose work has already been distributed via bnet.cc to seek recompensation as well as punitive damages, even if bnet.cc terminates their illegal distribution.>>
July 7, 2004, 3:34 PM
Adron
[quote author=iago link=board=17;threadid=7599;start=0#msg69011 date=1089213683]
[quote author=Adron link=board=17;threadid=7599;start=0#msg68999 date=1089206491]
support@blizzard.com
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hmm, Adron should have some experience with code theft, back from ye olde NBBot days. I think people still use his ripped off source.
[/quote]

But in my case, complaining to Blizzard made sense! :P
July 7, 2004, 3:56 PM
St0rm.iD
That's so fucking stupid for so many reasons.

- Binary bots violate Blizzard's TOS. I'm sure that they are not going to give a flying fuck about this whole situation

- Clan scripts are incredibly easy to make and there are tons of free ones out there. Plus, if you sell them to someone, you're giving away the source code.

- Bnet.cc has a good song on the homepage
July 7, 2004, 3:56 PM
Adron
[quote author=Kyro link=board=17;threadid=7599;start=0#msg69016 date=1089214497]
To the person who asked what relevance emailing blizzard would have- this is due to the distribution of the source code whose release wasnt authorized, could be easily used to abuse battle.net. It's already being abused bad enough as it is.
[/quote]

I still don't think it's a good idea.

In all Copyright issues, what you as an author have to do is send in a written statement where you testify that you are the author of the disputed works.

For Blizzard to make a case against bnet.cc would be troublesome. It's always hard to prove who's responsible for publishing/writing certain code. And even if they could track down the people behind bnet.cc, the sources will just be published on another site.

Now, the program you've written is something that can be easily used to abuse battle.net. In addition, you have just given Blizzard the evidence they need to connect the sources to someone responsible for their existence. Their next logical step would be to sue you for producing tools to abuse battle.net, breaking their TOS, and anything else they can come up with.

So what you've then just done is paint a target on yourself.
July 7, 2004, 4:06 PM
Soul Taker
[quote author=Kyro link=board=17;threadid=7599;start=0#msg69016 date=1089214497]
As for Warrior- what you don't realize is: those bots were developed for the use of battle.net, which is owned and operated by Blizzard, as thus is subject to their TOS.[/quote]
Do you *really* think he doesn't realize the bots were made for use on Bnet?
July 7, 2004, 4:13 PM
St0rm.iD
The TOS, which the bots violate in the first place.
July 7, 2004, 4:24 PM
LockesRabb
Good news, after checking into matters with Blizzard, talking with TagBan as well as his host, this issue/situation has been resolved. Tagban will only distribute bots, as well as scripts of the creators whom he has already obtained consent from. There should be no further problems on this issue. Thanks for your attention! :)
July 7, 2004, 4:42 PM
Myndfyr
LoL -- the attention being telling you that nobody cares and that you're a dumbass?

Look, when there are entire websites devoted to a bot, and Blizzard doesn't take action, they don't care.

You could have done something to the extent of invoking the DMCA, but you wouldn't need all of us to do anything -- you could have simply sent his host and Google (because they'll take a site out of their listings if they believe it violates the DMCA) a written statement saying that he violated your copywritten works.

I don't think that your original letter would have covered it though. Grammar would have been a nice thing... :-P
July 7, 2004, 5:06 PM
LW-Falcon
Maybe you should've included the reason you want to shut their site down.
This is what Tagban posted on his forum.
[quote]But whats even funnier, is that we didn't do anything illegal! Thats right kiddies, I reported someone for image stealing, and it ended up getting his entire site shutdown. I didn't mean to, and even after explaining this to him, he apparently didn't care. I then contacted his webhost in the morning and asked him to restore his domain and scripts, because he had worked hard for them.

I later find out, that he not only contacted my host trying to get me shutdown over a thread on here regarding Clan Scripts, but he contacted Blizzard Entertainment, and informed them of my website and 'stolen content'.

Good news?
Well theres nothing on my site that is illegal. He reported us for solely having the name 'BNET' which luckily isn't a copyrighted name by Blizzard Entertainment. Not to mention, if they didn't want me to have it, they would've told me in the first billion emails...

So whats going to happen?
Well according to Kyro, I ruined his life basically. [/quote]
July 7, 2004, 5:39 PM
Adron
LOL; so; what's really happened is that Kyro has been stealing stuff from Tagban and gotten shut down for it, and now he's trying to shut Tagban down back? Childish.....
July 7, 2004, 6:35 PM
warz
Kyro, what site do you currently work on, and say that you've put the most time into? Does it have clan scripts on it? Clan scripts that haven't been stolen yet?

What the hell is a clan script?
July 7, 2004, 6:53 PM
LW-Falcon
www.clantek.net
July 7, 2004, 10:21 PM
KkBlazekK
Blizzard did take bnet.cc down before but its up again. What harm could a clan script do to bnet?
July 7, 2004, 11:00 PM
TaGBaN
Clearing things up. Well, I finally registered on vL's forums.

Here are the facts:
DM's site got shutdown because I reported to thier host that they had stolen images from a client of mine. I did NOT ask the host to shut them down, I asked them to tell DM to remove the infringing images/layout. This has been cleared up.

As for the 'source codes' that I supposedly stole, these have been off of my site for quite some time. Infact, the only scripts I distributed, were Clan Tek 3.0. This was in an upset to stop them from charging in excess of 50 bucks for shitty scripts. Clan Tek has since closed down thier forums because some clan (To go nameless) decided it would be funny to rub it in Clan Tek's face that I had leaked thier scripts out. This was in no way a personal attack, but there are hundreds of clans out there, that already have stolen scripts..

In addition to this, the other script sources that I DO posess, are copyright violations in themselves, if you wish to go into details. Clan Tek 1.0 scripts were very easy to hack/build up. Thus, many groups of poor little thirteen year olds decided "Hey, they're making money, we can steal it and sell ours for more!". Thus scripts such as 'Net Tek' and 'Pro Tek' are born.

BNET.cc has had legal runins in the past. These have been cleared up, and we've moved on. I have authorization from Blizzard to use the name 'BNET' as it is merely an abbreviation or 'shortening' of the actual registered name 'battle.net'. As for the games? We have NEVER supported hacks. The only thing BNET.cc hosted was bots, maps, and bot sources (Which were OBVIOUSLY publically released).

I even gave a contact link, so that if YOU owned something, and didn't want it on my site, that I would take it down. I never got any emails stating this. I even contacted Spht asking permission to host Spht Bot v3, as well as plugins for it. You can ask him yourself, as im sure he will inform you it is correct.

The only bots that BNET.cc will continue to host, are the following:
Stealth Bot
Spht Bot v3
BNU`Bot
Chewbacca Bot a8
Subbot

As for any other downloads, we host maps, replays, and simple map editors/protectors. We're encouraging gaming on Battle.net, its hardly a violation, considering we encourage people to play games, and use Blizzard's software.

That being said, if you really do have anything against BNET.cc, you can kiss my ass. :)

I've acted within accordance of the law and thus am free of persecution from that within. I find it fairly sad that I even had to come here to speak my peace, and im actually glad to even see some people backing BNET.cc up.

Regards,
TaGBaN
http://www.bnet.cc Administrator
July 8, 2004, 1:54 AM
Quarantine
I dun called him over here :)
July 8, 2004, 1:56 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=LW-Warrior link=board=17;threadid=7599;start=15#msg69109 date=1089251799]
I dun called him over here :)
[/quote]

whoopie. that's freaking awesome. I can't begin to explain how awed I am.
July 8, 2004, 3:22 AM
Quarantine
Really?
July 8, 2004, 4:32 AM
ChR0NiC
This whole deal is just a bunch of useless BS. Who the hell gives a flying **** about stolen sources. If you are stupid enough to release a source or make it available to the public than you deserve to have your source leeched off of and redistributed. >:(
July 8, 2004, 4:36 AM
Fr0z3N
Heh, me and my friend Alex thought this thread was a huge joke.
July 8, 2004, 5:40 AM
Quarantine
It is pointless to charge for Clan Scripts. So I leak them . I hate paying for anything on the internet and I know others feel the same.
July 8, 2004, 6:50 AM
UserLoser.
No way associated with Battle.net Bot development, move this to trash can :)
July 8, 2004, 7:59 AM
Noodlez
Don't even move it, just delete it.
July 8, 2004, 2:14 PM
BaDDBLooD
I Find that source codes that get *Leaked* are more widely used than source codes released by the original author =)
July 8, 2004, 3:22 PM
TaGBaN
Very true BaDD
July 8, 2004, 5:04 PM
iago
[quote author=BaDDBLooD link=board=17;threadid=7599;start=30#msg69218 date=1089300120]
I Find that source codes that get *Leaked* are more widely used than source codes released by the original author =)
[/quote]

I find a lot of people are using my Java hashing stuff, which I released :D
July 8, 2004, 5:22 PM
Adron
[quote author=Noodlez link=board=17;threadid=7599;start=30#msg69204 date=1089296096]
Don't even move it, just delete it.
[/quote]

Deleting builds rumors. Better to have the story preserved.
July 8, 2004, 5:42 PM
BaDDBLooD
[quote author=iago link=board=17;threadid=7599;start=30#msg69239 date=1089307379]
[quote author=BaDDBLooD link=board=17;threadid=7599;start=30#msg69218 date=1089300120]
[/quote]

[/quote]

It is probly the only public one that exists =)
July 8, 2004, 6:08 PM
iago
[quote author=BaDDBLooD link=board=17;threadid=7599;start=30#msg69253 date=1089310110]
[quote author=iago link=board=17;threadid=7599;start=30#msg69239 date=1089307379]
[/quote]

[/quote]

It is probly the only public one that exists =)
[/quote]

To my knowledge, it's the ONLY one that exists. But I'm happy that people are using it, though, I like encouraging Java :)
July 8, 2004, 6:11 PM
warz
http://bnet.cc is crap. if i ever get the time, im going to create a site of my own, and use half of your images while calling them mine, just to get your panties in a wringle. your clan scripts sound like a waste of time, and make sites look completely unoriginal, and slapped together. making source code public is cool. making source code public that wasnt already public is cool too . http://bnet.cc is crap. did i already say that?
July 8, 2004, 6:47 PM
Quarantine
....and you will get shutdown. Silly kid.
July 8, 2004, 6:48 PM
Gangz
[quote author=LW-Warrior link=board=17;threadid=7599;start=30#msg69260 date=1089312515]
[/quote]

Only because of people like kyro :p. Most people would be like "WOA this page blows" then leave, but there is always that little shit that wants to steal your stolen shit then shut you down.
July 8, 2004, 7:47 PM
BaDDBLooD
[quote author=Gangz link=board=17;threadid=7599;start=30#msg69276 date=1089316039]
[quote author=LW-Warrior link=board=17;threadid=7599;start=30#msg69260 date=1089312515]
[/quote]

Only because of people like kyro :p. Most people would be like "WOA this page blows" then leave, but there is always that little shit that wants to steal your stolen shit then shut you down.
[/quote]

Haha!
July 8, 2004, 10:07 PM
warz
[/quote]

Thats a challenge. I guarentee it will be up as long as I want it to be. I cannot be shut down.
July 8, 2004, 10:20 PM
TaGBaN
First off, why are you suddenly 'attacking' BNET.cc ? We did nothing to anyone... :-\ Second, why do you give two shits? If you use my images, so what. If I didn't originally make them, theres nothing I can do about it. lol...

However, if I create, a completely original image, and it gets stolen, or even 'fast-linked', that is illegal. Thus, the images on BNET.cc, they are mostly using Blizzard images, therefore, I gave Blizzard credit for them.

Blizzard allows people to use such images, with the expectation that you place thier copyright notices on the bottom of your site, or on a page that contains all the information required by the law.

I don't really give two shits what you do Mr. Warz. This is the internet, 99% of illegal activities are ignored. But theres always that 1% chance you'll get caught and fucked in the ass. So have a nice day. :)
July 8, 2004, 10:43 PM
BaDDBLooD
[quote author=TaGBaN link=board=17;threadid=7599;start=30#msg69303 date=1089326637]
First off, why are you suddenly 'attacking' BNET.cc ? We did nothing to anyone... :-\ Second, why do you give two shits? If you use my images, so what. If I didn't originally make them, theres nothing I can do about it. lol...

However, if I create, a completely original image, and it gets stolen, or even 'fast-linked', that is illegal. Thus, the images on BNET.cc, they are mostly using Blizzard images, therefore, I gave Blizzard credit for them.

Blizzard allows people to use such images, with the expectation that you place thier copyright notices on the bottom of your site, or on a page that contains all the information required by the law.

I don't really give two shits what you do Mr. Warz. This is the internet, 99% of illegal activities are ignored. But theres always that 1% chance you'll get caught and fucked in the ass. So have a nice day. :)
[/quote]

This paragraph

[quote]

I don't really give two shits what you do Mr. Warz. This is the internet, 99% of illegal activities are ignored. But theres always that 1% chance you'll get caught and fucked in the ass. So have a nice day.

[/quote]

Just totally Negated the rest of your message.
July 8, 2004, 10:48 PM
TaGBaN
yea yea...sorry im out of it today.. lol
July 8, 2004, 10:51 PM
ChR0NiC
[quote author=TaGBaN link=board=17;threadid=7599;start=30#msg69305 date=1089327118]
yea yea...sorry im out of it today.. lol
[/quote]

Hey can I get those Clan Tek 3.0 scripts?? I feel they are a bloody rip off, but I like them :P
July 8, 2004, 11:32 PM

Search