Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | DDR vs DDR2

AuthorMessageTime
Sargera
I was reading through a Dell magazine and noticed that it was selling its PCs with DDR2 RAM. What exactly is the difference between DDR and DDR2? I went online and searched for it a bit but I only got vague answers and some of them conflicted.
July 7, 2004, 2:22 AM
Hitmen
Well, uh, DDR2 has a 240 pin interface rather than the current DDR's 184 pin interface. And it uses FBGA memory chips rather than TSOP ones. That's about it.
July 7, 2004, 2:39 AM
jigsaw
and of course it has a 2.. which makes it better like "home alone" and "home alone 2".. the 2 makes it too legit to quit.
July 7, 2004, 3:23 AM
peofeoknight
[quote author=jigsaw link=board=2;threadid=7596;start=0#msg68961 date=1089170611]
and of course it has a 2.. which makes it better like "home alone" and "home alone 2".. the 2 makes it too legit to quit.
[/quote] my thoughts exactly.
July 7, 2004, 3:43 AM
Sargera
I actually read somewhere saying DDR2 RAM isn't actually better than DDR. :P
July 7, 2004, 4:15 AM
peofeoknight
http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040301/alderwood-07.html
Ill just stick with dual channel. But ddr2 800 dual channel looks pretty insane. The only thing I see that seems to be an issue with ddr2 is that its cas latency is a bit high, shouldn't be too much of an issue unless you are an aggressive over clocker, I believe you will still notice an increase in speed. I bet those cas latencies will start to come down with a little time.
July 7, 2004, 4:26 AM
Hostile
Of course, as with all technology going mainstream but mainly because of its extra pins its a good deal more expensive but will eventually be able to get some very high speeds in. Unfortunately it really doesn't matter with the current bus speeds.
July 7, 2004, 4:49 AM

Search