Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Excess of Grok | Campus Security

AuthorMessageTime
DrivE
FSU gets a bad rap because it seems a pre-requisite to play football for them is to have felony convictions on your record ;).

I was at FSU about 2 weeks ago. In front of every dorm there were bike racks with PARTS of bikes still chained to it. The other students steal every goddamn thing not bolted down. Every 100 feet there is one of those emergency poles that you're supposed to hit if you're attacked and the rent-a-cop's will show up to "save the day" *chuckle*. Good lord its like you need an assault weapon to walk around after dark.
July 6, 2004, 1:29 AM
Grok
[quote author=Hazard link=board=6;threadid=7580;start=0#msg68723 date=1089077371]
FSU gets a bad rap because it seems a pre-requisite to play football for them is to have felony convictions on your record ;).

I was at FSU about 2 weeks ago. In front of every dorm there were bike racks with PARTS of bikes still chained to it. The other students steal every goddamn thing not bolted down. Every 100 feet there is one of those emergency poles that you're supposed to hit if you're attacked and the rent-a-cop's will show up to "save the day" *chuckle*. Good lord its like you need an assault weapon to walk around after dark.
[/quote]

Those emergency phones were put up after Theodore Bundy raped and murdered lots of women on FSU campus. I don't see anything humorous about them.
July 6, 2004, 2:09 AM
crashtestdummy
[quote author=Hazard link=board=6;threadid=7580;start=0#msg68723 date=1089077371]

[/quote]
I walk around LSU campus everyday and it's the same way. I'm sure it's like that at a lot of universities.
July 6, 2004, 2:36 AM
DrivE
[quote author=Grok link=board=6;threadid=7580;start=0#msg68727 date=1089079740]

[/quote]

Those emergency phones were put up after Theodore Bundy raped and murdered lots of women on FSU campus. I don't see anything humorous about them.
[/quote]

It's not funny, its tragic that there is such a total lack of security so such things are neccessary.
July 6, 2004, 2:58 AM
Raven
Yes, most large university campuses are essentially littered with emergency contact posts. It's not necessarily because the campus is unsafe; it's that they add alot more peace of mind to students, especially those walking around in the dark, and it makes the campuses considerably safer as a whole. They're also potentially life-saving in medical emergencies. It'd be stupid for a large school like FSU not to have these. :)
July 6, 2004, 4:37 AM
DrivE
[quote author=Raven link=board=6;threadid=7580;start=0#msg68760 date=1089088625]
Yes, most large university campuses are essentially littered with emergency contact posts. It's not necessarily because the campus is unsafe; it's that they add alot more peace of mind to students, especially those walking around in the dark, and it makes the campuses considerably safer as a whole. They're also potentially life-saving in medical emergencies. It'd be stupid for a large school like FSU not to have these. :)
[/quote]

Personally I would rather have human security walking around than a post with a red button that lights up and buzzes when you hit it.
July 6, 2004, 3:20 PM
crashtestdummy
They have there own police force on campus not security but LSU police. The campus is just so large they use the poles as a fail safe. They had all those serial killings around here.
July 6, 2004, 5:17 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
Thank god I am going to college etc in britain :P.
July 6, 2004, 6:16 PM
Raven
[quote author=Hazard link=board=6;threadid=7591;start=0#msg68812 date=1089127213]
Personally I would rather have human security walking around than a post with a red button that lights up and buzzes when you hit it.
[/quote]
They have plenty of live patrollers around as well; it's just that the poles serve as a beacon to get help on the way immediately. The patrollers can't be everywhere at once, and it'd cost considerably more to hire massive amounts of them. Instead those poles are there so help can be summoned from nearby at a moment's notice.
July 6, 2004, 7:30 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
Is it really that bad in America? Man, I want to move there when im older. Im getting scared now. Have any of you seen the movie Urban Legends. Sounds a bit like that.
July 6, 2004, 9:15 PM
Raven
[quote author=Meh link=board=6;threadid=7591;start=0#msg68892 date=1089148539]
Is it really that bad in America? Man, I want to move there when im older. Im getting scared now. Have any of you seen the movie Urban Legends. Sounds a bit like that.
[/quote]

It's definitely nowhere near as bad as it may seem from this thread. Schools take very extensive measures simply to be on the safe side incase the worst indeed does happen (God forbid). Mostly, AFAIK, these emergency posts are only really used to aid in more mundane circumstances such accidents and disorderly conduct.
July 7, 2004, 7:00 PM

Search