Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Rusty at math / looking for suggestions

AuthorMessageTime
crankycefx
Hey all,

I am rusty in math.
I am looking for some literature / books that would be a sort of "re introduction" or "preparation" for the mathematical concepts/aspects of programming?

Or more specifically, topics to research which would empower me to handle any mathematical challenges programming will present.

Cheers,
Iain
July 5, 2004, 1:00 AM
Grok
How far in math did you get? "Discrete Mathematics" is offered by most colleges and is directly applicable to programming concepts.
July 5, 2004, 1:39 PM
Yoni
The math you'll need to write a program varies depends on what kind of program you're writing.
Sometimes, you don't need math at all. However, many branches of math are useful to know.
I don't know of any math literature that deals with "programming math", since that doesn't exist - almost any type of math can be applied in programming. So, learn everything :P

If you have a specific question, you can always ask me.
July 5, 2004, 4:47 PM
crankycefx
I'll check that out, Grok, though I'm more inclined to a self learning approach. :)

Yoni:
That's why there are quotations around those two words :P
Hehe.

Essentially, a good book that would strengthen my math skills, I suppose.

'Course, if I fluke into a University acceptance, I'll be taking some math classes for that purpose.
July 6, 2004, 12:58 AM
Grok
You could try Mathematics for Computer Science, part of MIT's OpenCourseWare.
July 6, 2004, 2:11 AM
Maddox
Programming is like math in a way. It uses functions, variables, and Yoni likes it.
July 8, 2004, 7:18 AM
Grok
[quote author=Maddox link=board=5;threadid=7570;start=0#msg69173 date=1089271097]
Programming is like math in a way. It uses functions, variables, and Yoni likes it.
[/quote]

Amateurgramming is like art. You throw code on the editor until it feels good. Right, Adron? :)
July 9, 2004, 1:26 AM
Adron
[quote author=Grok link=board=5;threadid=7570;start=0#msg69322 date=1089336382]
[quote author=Maddox link=board=5;threadid=7570;start=0#msg69173 date=1089271097]
[/quote]

Amateurgramming is like art. You throw code on the editor until it feels good. Right, Adron? :)
[/quote]

A bit like it. The other, non-creative, programming could be done by a machine and nothing new will ever come out of it.
July 9, 2004, 8:27 AM
crankycefx
Wow, I feel dumb.

Grok, as you can imagine, I didn't read the OCW MIT link when I made my last post.

lol.

That rocks man! Thanks so much!
July 9, 2004, 2:25 PM

Search