Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Happy 4th of July

AuthorMessageTime
j0k3r
Or America day, or whatever you like to call it.
- Your friend up north
July 4, 2004, 2:02 PM
crashtestdummy
Heh, the actual name for it is Independence Day. But either way it'll be fun getting drunk tonight.
July 4, 2004, 2:42 PM
DrivE
It's important for every American to understand and appreciate the incredible importance of this crucial day in the history of the entire world. On July 4th, 1776, the world changed forever. It's a day every American should celebrate and enjoy their freedom!
July 4, 2004, 2:51 PM
crashtestdummy
http://www.cyberfireworks.com/grandcanyon.htm
July 4, 2004, 4:05 PM
Hitmen
And remember kids, fireworks = good. Fireworks + beer = bad.
July 4, 2004, 4:44 PM
iago
[quote author=Hazard link=board=2;threadid=7562;start=0#msg68459 date=1088952684]
It's important for every American to understand and appreciate the incredible importance of this crucial day in the history of the entire world. On July 4th, 1776, the world changed forever. It's a day every American should celebrate and enjoy their freedom!
[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it represent the time when Americans rose up and attacked their mother country? Canada remained part of the commenwealth for years after that, and we're still an independant country now. To us, the Queen is just symbolic.
July 4, 2004, 6:01 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
Im pretty crap at history, but its when you kicked Britains arse. Am I right?
July 4, 2004, 6:15 PM
Raven
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=7562;start=0#msg68487 date=1088964089]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it represent the time when Americans rose up and attacked their mother country? Canada remained part of the commenwealth for years after that, and we're still an independant country now. To us, the Queen is just symbolic.
[/quote]

No, it represents a time when Americans rose up against unfair regulation and practices by the British government in order to gain complete sovereignty and run their country as they felt it should be.

Nowadays, I believe even in the UK, the Royal Family is mostly symbolic as parliament does most of the governing.
July 4, 2004, 7:49 PM
Quarantine
We did get our asses kicked most of the Revolutionary War. We outsmarted them not beat them with brute force. GO RAMPARTS GO!
July 4, 2004, 8:36 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
Are you british LW?
July 4, 2004, 8:39 PM
Grok
I love how history gets distorted over time. The British could have easily defeated the Colonies and ruled for a hundred more years, but their war with France was more immediate and important, requiring more war resources. They let up on the Colonies only because we did not really matter that much.

At least, that's what the U.S. Navy taught me in officer training.
July 4, 2004, 8:49 PM
The-Rabid-Lord
My dad was in the Navy, he only satyed until hew was Cheif PO or something. WEhat rank did you get up to?
July 4, 2004, 8:56 PM
Eternal
[quote author=Meh link=board=2;threadid=7562;start=0#msg68491 date=1088964942]
Im pretty crap at history, but its when you kicked Britains arse. Am I right?
[/quote]

Grrrr

[quote]Nowadays, I believe even in the UK, the Royal Family is mostly symbolic as parliament does most of the governing[/quote]

That's pretty much true
July 4, 2004, 9:10 PM
Eibro
[quote author=Meh link=board=2;threadid=7562;start=0#msg68523 date=1088974563]
My dad was in the Navy, he only satyed until hew was Cheif PO or something. WEhat rank did you get up to?
[/quote]Chief PO is an NCM rank in the Canadian Navy, not sure about American.

Oh, and Canada Day was 3 days ago. It is a much more important day.
July 4, 2004, 9:12 PM
iago
[quote author=Raven link=board=2;threadid=7562;start=0#msg68504 date=1088970543]
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=7562;start=0#msg68487 date=1088964089]
[/quote]

No, it represents a time when Americans rose up against unfair regulation and practices by the British government in order to gain complete sovereignty and run their country as they felt it should be.

Nowadays, I believe even in the UK, the Royal Family is mostly symbolic as parliament does most of the governing.
[/quote]

Typical Americans. In Canada, we were too polite to do anything, and it worked out better.
July 4, 2004, 9:25 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=7562;start=0#msg68528 date=1088976301]Typical Americans. In Canada, we were too polite to do anything, and it worked out better.
[/quote]

So you prefer to watch everyone else die during the creation of history, than to be a part of it?
July 4, 2004, 9:33 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=Tuberload link=board=2;threadid=7562;start=15#msg68533 date=1088976797]
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=7562;start=0#msg68528 date=1088976301]Typical Americans. In Canada, we were too polite to do anything, and it worked out better.
[/quote]

So you prefer to watch everyone else die during the creation of history, than to be a part of it?
[/quote]
Yes, especially when we end up in the same situation anyways.
July 4, 2004, 9:44 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=7562;start=15#msg68537 date=1088977451]Yes, especially when we end up in the same situation anyways.
[/quote]

You never know, what seems like nothing may turn out to be the cause of something tomorrow. Things don't happen right away.
July 4, 2004, 9:50 PM
j0k3r
It's been a couple hundred years... You would have thought something would have happened by now.

I was thinking about it, the US is probably powerful today because they needed to fend themselves, they couldn't call on britain if they needed help.
July 4, 2004, 10:21 PM
Quarantine
I am not british. If I remember correctly didnt we use Ramparts to make the british cannon balls waste all thier ammo? ( Ramparts are mounds of dirt with grass on one side )
July 4, 2004, 10:22 PM
LW-Falcon
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=7562;start=0#msg68522 date=1088974147]
I love how history gets distorted over time. The British could have easily defeated the Colonies and ruled for a hundred more years, but their war with France was more immediate and important, requiring more war resources. They let up on the Colonies only because we did not really matter that much.

[/quote]
The French played a big role in the last battle where Cornwallis surrendered. If the French navy wasn't there to block Cornwallis from retreating by sea things might have been different.
July 4, 2004, 11:56 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=7562;start=15#msg68544 date=1088979675]
It's been a couple hundred years... You would have thought something would have happened by now.[/quote]

Perhaps if more people stood up for what they felt were right things would be different.
July 5, 2004, 12:10 AM
Hitmen
Today was a rather eventful day, and I escaped with only minimal injuries!

First, earlier today we were moving the dock out onto the water. In doing this, we had to move it down to the water over some rocks. On the way down, we had set it down to get a better grip, and I being as cool as I am, thought it wasn't as heavy as it was and ended up crushing my right index finger between the dock and some rocks. Only some scrapes and bruises, maybe a little swelling, not too bad.

Later in the night came the fun, we had $250 worth of fireworks. They're illegal here in massachussetts, but new hampshire is only a few hours drive (don't tell the cops that though). First was to roman candle incident. This guy who had lit one, was holding it to shoot it out over the water. After waiting about half a minute for it go off, he said "dud" and whipped it into the lake. Apparently water doesn't matter much to roman candles, since it went off anyway, of course shooting back towards us. No one was hurt, although one girl did get hit. And I only burnt myself a few times, nothing bad.

And finally, I'm not sure where it came from or when I got it, but I noticed I have a gash across the palm of my left hand.

Good times!
July 5, 2004, 4:00 AM
Grok
[quote author=Hitmen link=board=2;threadid=7562;start=15#msg68595 date=1089000041]They're illegal here in massachussetts, but new hampshire is only a few hours drive (don't tell the cops that though).[/quote]

Umm, what do you drive, a little red wagon? It took me 5 hours to drive from New Hampshire to New Jersey every couple weeks when I lived up there. Massachussetts is connected to New Hampshire, so how does it take you hours to drive it?
July 5, 2004, 4:04 AM
Hitmen
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=7562;start=15#msg68596 date=1089000268]
[quote author=Hitmen link=board=2;threadid=7562;start=15#msg68595 date=1089000041]They're illegal here in massachussetts, but new hampshire is only a few hours drive (don't tell the cops that though).[/quote]

Umm, what do you drive, a little red wagon? It took me 5 hours to drive from New Hampshire to New Jersey every couple weeks when I lived up there. Massachussetts is connected to New Hampshire, so how does it take you hours to drive it?
[/quote]
There and back was a few hours total
July 5, 2004, 4:24 AM
DrivE
I drive from my grandmother's house in a suburb south of Boston to New Hampshire in about an hour... it really depends on where you are leaving from.

We had a grand ol' Independence Day out on the beach with no injuries to my family or friends. A boy I would say in the neighborhood of about 11 took a bottle rocket to the face which was launched by a few drunkards, but all in all, with the BBQ and fireworks, it was another wonderful 4th of July.
July 5, 2004, 6:34 PM
DrivE
[quote author=Tuberload link=board=2;threadid=7562;start=15#msg68533 date=1088976797]
[/quote]

[/quote]

That goes without saying.
July 5, 2004, 6:36 PM
Sargera
Independence day is the celebreation of the New World Colonie's Declaration of Independence document. However, at this time they were still at war with Great Britain. ^^

It's my understanding Great Britain surrendered the colonies because they suffered a great loss at the battle of Yorktown with Cornwallis. They didn't want to keep donating resources to fight the war, and didn't think they were all that important. Much of the reasons the colonies won because Great Britain was largely cocky about the whole situation and thought they could do nothing against their wrath. Well, we sure proved 'em wrong eh? ;) Also, Great Britain and France were at wars for several centuries. :)
July 6, 2004, 1:22 AM
DrivE
The situation was simple, the British could no longer afford to wage war with the Americans. The British soldiers had lost their will to fight as they were fighting for something that they did not understand and had suffered a number of devestating defeats starting at Saratoga and ultimately ending after Yorktown. The Americans were fighting on the own turf, for the own freedom, on their own terms. The Americans had the will, the British did not.
July 6, 2004, 1:26 AM
iago
[quote author=Hazard link=board=2;threadid=7562;start=15#msg68721 date=1089077191]
The situation was simple, the British could no longer afford to wage war with the Americans. The British soldiers had lost their will to fight as they were fighting for something that they did not understand and had suffered a number of devestating defeats starting at Saratoga and ultimately ending after Yorktown. The Americans were fighting on the own turf, for the own freedom, on their own terms. The Americans had the will, the British did not.
[/quote]

Sorta reminds me of certain middle-eastern countries? But it's ok when the Americans do it.
July 6, 2004, 5:19 AM
Maddox
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=7562;start=0#msg68522 date=1088974147]

[/quote]

Are you sure? The french were going through a revolution at the time. I don't think they were fighting the English. They even sent troops to help us out. At any rate, we beat them again in the war of 1812.
July 6, 2004, 6:10 AM
Tuberload
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=7562;start=15#msg68768 date=1089091146]
Sorta reminds me of certain middle-eastern countries? But it's ok when the Americans do it.
[/quote]

The will amongst the rebels might be the same but I think the situation is completely different.
July 6, 2004, 8:14 AM
Arta
I think it's pretty much the same from their perspective.

The French were instrumental during the revolutionary war. They helped the colonies all the way along, I believe - not just with men but with money, arms, and so on. I think the idea was to weaken British forces and improved their own chances. So, all you 'Freedom Fries' people can just remember that without the French, you'd still have the queen on your coins :P

FYI: Yes, the queen is symbolic. Parliament is in charge. The queen is the head of state but the Prime Minister has the power.
July 6, 2004, 8:47 AM
DrivE
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=7562;start=15#msg68768 date=1089091146]
[quote author=Hazard link=board=2;threadid=7562;start=15#msg68721 date=1089077191]
[/quote]

[/quote]

How are you looking at it? The US is not oppressing middle eastern countries...
July 6, 2004, 3:18 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=Arta[vL] link=board=2;threadid=7562;start=30#msg68790 date=1089103650]
I think it's pretty much the same from their perspective.

The French were instrumental during the revolutionary war. They helped the colonies all the way along, I believe - not just with men but with money, arms, and so on. I think the idea was to weaken British forces and improved their own chances. So, all you 'Freedom Fries' people can just remember that without the French, you'd still have the queen on your coins :P

FYI: Yes, the queen is symbolic. Parliament is in charge. The queen is the head of state but the Prime Minister has the power.
[/quote]

If we are going to compare this war to our revolution I think we are more like the French than anything. We are aiding a country to free themselves from a dictator. My point was that I don't see how iago's comment is valid.

BTW If you want to talk about coins being different let's go back to World War 2. All your coins might be a little different without our help so I think things are pretty even. Everybody has done something extraordinary sometime during human history but we are not living in the past.
July 7, 2004, 5:04 AM

Search