Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Visual Basic Programming | Wierd

AuthorMessageTime
Dyndrilliac
When I started up VB today I got a message box error as soon as it started, saying the following:

"Object '~' of method '~' failed."

After that it resumed normal procedure and I didn't notice any difference or malfunction.

What happened?

Off Topic: I tried to post without a subject by accident, and I got a wierd pop up box saying:

"I am a messagebox. Do you not find me sexy?"

In response to that, I would like to say, I love you messagebox. Be my E-Lover.
July 2, 2004, 11:44 PM
Dyndrilliac
Also, when I hit the "Stop" button (End) in the VB Editor after my program errors, VB shuts off, and it's really annoying because sometimes I forget to save.
July 3, 2004, 12:31 AM
Grok
Close any open programs and clean out your temp folder.

Apply Visual Studio 6 Service Pack 5.

If you are using ADO, download the latest version and service pack, and run it again, even if you already have recently.
July 3, 2004, 5:26 AM
Adron
[quote author=Grok link=board=31;threadid=7540;start=0#msg68270 date=1088832417]
Close any open programs and clean out your temp folder.

Apply Visual Studio 6 Service Pack 5.

If you are using ADO, download the latest version and service pack, and run it again, even if you already have recently.
[/quote]

Is this talking from experience with this specific error message, and all of those actions may be sufficient / required to solve the problem, or are some of the suggestions generic trouble-shooters?

Any idea what the message means / why it happens more exactly?

I've seen that same error some time, but don't remember when. I don't think I ever redownloaded ADO though.
July 3, 2004, 9:41 AM
Grok
The symptom described "~ of ~" occurs due to mismatched libraries, e.g. "DLL Hell". We see it at work mostly with MDACs, because of their many versions. But it can also happen when other programs install older versions of Visual Studio components over your existing newer ones.

Cleaning the temp folder is generic fix for VB. Applying service pack and updating MDACs were specific to this solution.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q255/9/86.ASP&NoWebContent=1
July 3, 2004, 1:53 PM
Adron
Haha, "Although this error has not been consistently reproduced, the items in the "Resolution" section appear to be effective in correcting the problem."

So they don't know what's causing it, but they recommend to try those things. Not very satisfying, but I suppose it works.
July 3, 2004, 11:43 PM
Dyndrilliac
That's Microsoft for you.
July 3, 2004, 11:49 PM

Search