Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Computer Case PCI Card Slots

AuthorMessageTime
Sargera
I'm trying to get a soundcard out an older computer I have. The problem is, it has the a very wierd snap-lock PCI card holder. I'm not exactly sure what they're called, but the metal bars that you see on the outside of your computer that you must remove to install the PCI card is blocked from removal/inserting because of the wierd lock mechanism. I'll describe it and perhaps someone can point me in the direction as to how to get it to open up, because I think I snapped one of them broken trying to force it to open...

The computer is on its side. The PCI cards are pointing up. The bars are up as well (obviously). On top of the bars is this rectangle-like-shaped lock thing. It has about 6 slots (however many there of the silverish bars there are). Then there's about a 1/4 inch piece of plastic that descends down from the lock thing and blocks the removal of the bars. Just above in the individual slots of the lock it appears to be a switch that you can barely move up and down, but does nothing. Then mounted against the computer case above the switch in each individual slot appears to be the top part opened up...I'm sorry I can't describe it anymore accurately.

Anyways, can someone help guide me in opening up a slot with it?
June 26, 2004, 4:56 PM
UserLoser.
Take a hammer and smash the part that's in the way. Then you can get it out :)
June 26, 2004, 4:58 PM
Sargera
[quote author=UserLoser. link=board=2;threadid=7453;start=0#msg67275 date=1088269119]
Take a hammer and smash the part that's in the way. Then you can get it out :)
[/quote]

I'd prefer to keep my computer intact.
June 26, 2004, 5:01 PM
LW-Falcon
Umm take a picture?
June 26, 2004, 5:21 PM
crankycefx
UserLoser:

How do you typo a reply?
*points to the word "Caes"*
June 26, 2004, 6:08 PM
Grok
Probably a HP/Compaq type slot lockdown. Very simple to open. Take picture and post.
June 26, 2004, 6:59 PM
Sargera
I don't have a digital camera or anything of the sort to upload pictures on my computer. So no one has any idea based on my description? I think I might be able to get my friend to come over in an hour and take a picture for me, though... :p
June 26, 2004, 8:52 PM
Sargera
Problem solved. While trying to figure out where it was mounted I discovered three screws on the opposite side of the PCI cards (externally visible) which took the lock right off...I hate it when people make things more complicated than they have to...My other computer just snaps off the lock holder and makes for easy removal/installation of PCI cards.
June 26, 2004, 9:00 PM
Sargera
Accident post.
June 26, 2004, 11:51 PM

Search