Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Hotmail...

AuthorMessageTime
hismajesty
It seems they're following in Yahoos footsteps of competeting with Gmail.
June 24, 2004, 1:50 PM
Fr0z3N
Smart
June 24, 2004, 3:11 PM
Mitosis
Still not as much as GMAIL. Think they (MSN) will ever go higher than 1G, or as high?
June 24, 2004, 3:13 PM
Arta
Who the hell really needs to keep 1Gb of email sitting around?
June 24, 2004, 3:14 PM
hismajesty
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=2;threadid=7423;start=0#msg66995 date=1088090020]
Still not as much as GMAIL. Think they (MSN) will ever go higher than 1G, or as high?
[/quote]

Not for free.
June 24, 2004, 3:17 PM
Hostile
Ever? Possibly in years to come but there is absolutely no reason to give out 1GB of free email space. Its rediculous, and a waste of money. Speaking of money, how do you think Google is going to afford that anyways? They're going to be using a service to generate ads pending the words IN your emails! Meaning something is listening into and reading your emails, sending the information back to some other service which interpretes the information and sends back data to give you more personal (just as annoying) ads.
June 24, 2004, 3:46 PM
iago
[quote author=Hostile link=board=2;threadid=7423;start=0#msg67000 date=1088091985]
Ever? Possibly in years to come but there is absolutely no reason to give out 1GB of free email space. Its rediculous, and a waste of money. Speaking of money, how do you think Google is going to afford that anyways? They're going to be using a service to generate ads pending the words IN your emails! Meaning something is listening into and reading your emails, sending the information back to some other service which interpretes the information and sends back data to give you more personal (just as annoying) ads.
[/quote]

But google's ad's are text-only, with small font. And don't forget, google has a rediculous amount of servers (around 50,000 I've heard?) so I'm sure they have no shortage of storage.

And the idea of getting 1gb is simply so you never ever have to delete the mail, you can leave it in your box and not worry about it.
June 24, 2004, 4:14 PM
LW-Falcon
Yahoo would probably boost their 100mb up more now to keep up with Hotmail.
June 24, 2004, 5:26 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Hostile link=board=2;threadid=7423;start=0#msg67000 date=1088091985]
[/quote]

More paranoia.

But yeah, I'm happy my space will go from 10mb to 2gb. I've been paying because I like the ability to check my POP email from school with Hotmail. This will be good.
June 24, 2004, 5:31 PM
j0k3r
Ever? Possibly in years to come but there is absolutely no reason to give out 1GB of free email space. Its rediculous, and a waste of money. Speaking of money, how do you think Google is going to afford that anyways?
[/quote]
That's true, there is no need for 1GB, who needs to keep every email anways? I mean they limited attachments to 10mb.

Oh wait, that means they're not allowing their service as a P2P network, and people will not use up all 1GB. Out of everyone that has Gmail, how many do you think have used the full 1GB? I'd say less than 1%. I have a single message from myself in my Gmail account, which I even paid for. This is what resellers often do, they sell more space than they have, because they know not everyone will use 200mb even if thats how much room they have. They know people won't use up all their monthly bandwidth.

They're going to be using a service to generate ads pending the words IN your emails! Meaning something is listening into and reading your emails, sending the information back to some other service which interpretes the information and sends back data to give you more personal (just as annoying) ads.
[/quote]
Well, this may seem odd, but I've been seeing ads about Diablo 2 item stores and server hosts in my Opera adbar, which "coincidentally" is what I most commonly look at. As long as they are not taking my personal information, I would much rather see ads that relate to me. Companies may even go as far as to pay more for advertising in Gmail. When they advertise on a site, not everyone that sees the ad will be interested. However, when they advertise in Gmail, it will only be shown to people who are interested, and hence they will have more success in their advertising.

Gmail I think is based on two things, one being that people will not use their full 1GB, and I'm sure over 70% of people will not come anywhere near using it all. The other being their advertising income. I can see companies paying atleast twice as much for advertising on Google/Gmail as opposed to Yahoo. I could be wrong, this is just what I'm guessing.
June 24, 2004, 6:05 PM
iago
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=7423;start=0#msg67016 date=1088100318]
This is what resellers often do, they sell more space than they have, because they know not everyone will use 200mb even if thats how much room they have. They know people won't use up all their monthly bandwidth.
[/quote]

I find it extremely unlikely that Google will have a problem with storage space. Like I said earlier, they have in the realm of 50,000 servers, and like you said, they make a lot of money off ads, so I'm sure they could afford the necessary mass storage.

[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=7423;start=0#msg67016 date=1088100318]
I've been seeing ads about Diablo 2 item stores and server hosts in my Opera adbar, which "coincidentally" is what I most commonly look at.[/quote]

From my understanding, Opera bases the ads on the page you are currently at. When I'm on vL's site, I often see "starcraft", "hacks", and "ChewBot" in the search bar. When I'm at other sites, like kernel.org, I see sites for firewalls, security, etc.

<edit> fixed quote.
June 24, 2004, 6:23 PM
Myndfyr
Ever? Possibly in years to come but there is absolutely no reason to give out 1GB of free email space. Its rediculous, and a waste of money. Speaking of money, how do you think Google is going to afford that anyways?
[/quote]
That's true, there is no need for 1GB, who needs to keep every email anways? I mean they limited attachments to 10mb.

Oh wait, that means they're not allowing their service as a P2P network, and people will not use up all 1GB. Out of everyone that has Gmail, how many do you think have used the full 1GB? I'd say less than 1%. I have a single message from myself in my Gmail account, which I even paid for. This is what resellers often do, they sell more space than they have, because they know not everyone will use 200mb even if thats how much room they have. They know people won't use up all their monthly bandwidth.

They're going to be using a service to generate ads pending the words IN your emails! Meaning something is listening into and reading your emails, sending the information back to some other service which interpretes the information and sends back data to give you more personal (just as annoying) ads.
[/quote]
Well, this may seem odd, but I've been seeing ads about Diablo 2 item stores and server hosts in my Opera adbar, which "coincidentally" is what I most commonly look at. As long as they are not taking my personal information, I would much rather see ads that relate to me. Companies may even go as far as to pay more for advertising in Gmail. When they advertise on a site, not everyone that sees the ad will be interested. However, when they advertise in Gmail, it will only be shown to people who are interested, and hence they will have more success in their advertising.

Gmail I think is based on two things, one being that people will not use their full 1GB, and I'm sure over 70% of people will not come anywhere near using it all. The other being their advertising income. I can see companies paying atleast twice as much for advertising on Google/Gmail as opposed to Yahoo. I could be wrong, this is just what I'm guessing.
[/quote]

j0k3r hit it square on the head. For an actual example of how e-mail stores work...

On my computer before it melted down, I had about three years of e-mail stored in Outlook 2002 (XP).

The whole thing, including a few program attachments supplied by various companies, took up a whopping 40mb.

The point of gmail is that people will be able to use it for the rest of their lives, being able to search today's e-mail 40 years from now just as easily as they can search their e-mail received 40 years from now.
June 24, 2004, 6:31 PM
Hitmen
I can see companies paying atleast twice as much for advertising on Google/Gmail as opposed to Yahoo. I could be wrong, this is just what I'm guessing.
[/quote]
Really? Why? Yahoo gets more traffic.
June 24, 2004, 7:08 PM
j0k3r
But with Yahoo their advertising budget is wasted on people who don't care about their product. Gmail advertisements are based on what the person is interested in, and so their advertising money will be spent only on people who are potentially interested in their product.
June 24, 2004, 7:11 PM
Hitmen
I really can't see many companies being that smart. :)
June 24, 2004, 7:16 PM
j0k3r
They pay people to think of this stuff for them, like I'm sure Microsoft does.
June 24, 2004, 7:18 PM
hismajesty
iago is right, it won't be a problem. Not only do they have countless servers, they have superior uptime being the onlyish company in the world to have real 100% uptime. Perhaps we'll see Google Hosting soon? :)
June 24, 2004, 7:32 PM
LW-Falcon
I won't be surprised if they do.
June 24, 2004, 7:55 PM
j0k3r
Anyone know where to get stocks in Google?
June 24, 2004, 8:05 PM
LoRd
GMail is overrated. It's only good feature is that it can hold a gig of information which is an insanely high amount to hold anyway.

I've had a Hotmail account for about 3 years now and I'm probably gonna be using it for another 3.
June 24, 2004, 10:31 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=LoRd[nK] link=board=2;threadid=7423;start=15#msg67059 date=1088116267]
GMail is overrated. It's only good feature is that it can hold a gig of information which is an insanely high amount to hold anyway.

I've had a Hotmail account for about 3 years now and I'm probably gonna be using it for another 3.
[/quote]
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=7315;start=60#msg66893 date=1088032334]
10mb limit on sending files, as opposed to Hotmails 1mb? Also, I find the interface in gmail is alot more friendly than hotmail, it takes less time to load, and it's easy to get used to. Options are also easier to change than hotmail.
[/quote]
June 24, 2004, 10:34 PM
LoRd
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=7423;start=15#msg67061 date=1088116465]
[quote author=LoRd[nK] link=board=2;threadid=7423;start=15#msg67059 date=1088116267]

[/quote]
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=7315;start=60#msg66893 date=1088032334]
10mb limit on sending files, as opposed to Hotmails 1mb? Also, I find the interface in gmail is alot more friendly than hotmail, it takes less time to load, and it's easy to get used to. Options are also easier to change than hotmail.
[/quote]

[/quote]
So sue me because my opinions differ from yours.
June 24, 2004, 10:38 PM
kamakazie
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=7423;start=15#msg67038 date=1088107507]
Anyone know where to get stocks in Google?
[/quote]

There were rumors of an IPO, but nothing happened yet other then initial filings. Last I know the IPO was going to be aution style so it will be hard to get in that. When they do go public, oh my.
June 24, 2004, 10:38 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=LoRd[nK] link=board=2;threadid=7423;start=15#msg67061 date=1088116465]
[/quote]
So sue me because my opinions differ from yours.
[/quote]
You said it's only good because it can hold a gig, I countered that with some points of my own, I never said you couldn't have an opinion I was just showing you there is more than you thought. I've begun hating hotmail, with the stupid page that does nothing before you get into your mailbox and 3 advertisements per page... It takes too long to load.
June 24, 2004, 10:49 PM
Sargera
It does? My Hotmail loads instantly...and still loads quite fast on dial-up. Also, I hardly get any ads/spam. I can just imagine how many ads I would get if I used Google though, since that's how they're going to make all their money out of this. =P

Edit: one feature I especially like about Hotmail is that it makes it very easy to e-mail your contacts on your MSN account. =) Besides, Hotmail is upgrading to 250MB of storate, and 2GB of storage for paying customers. I highly doubt Microsoft will lose a lot of customers from Gmail coming along...And if they do, I wouldn't be surprised if they took action to get their customers back, and more from there.
June 24, 2004, 11:05 PM
LW-Falcon
A few text ads on the right is nothing.
June 24, 2004, 11:08 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=Sargera link=board=2;threadid=7423;start=15#msg67067 date=1088118318]
It does? My Hotmail loads instantly...and still loads quite fast on dial-up. Also, I hardly get any ads/spam. I can just imagine how many ads I would get if I used Google though, since that's how they're going to make all their money out of this. =P
[/quote]
Small text ads are great, and if they relate to things I normally look at hell I might even visit them.

[quote author=Sargera link=board=2;threadid=7423;start=15#msg67067 date=1088118318]
Edit: one feature I especially like about Hotmail is that it makes it very easy to e-mail your contacts on your MSN account. =) Besides, Hotmail is upgrading to 250MB of storate, and 2GB of storage for paying customers. I highly doubt Microsoft will lose a lot of customers from Gmail coming along...And if they do, I wouldn't be surprised if they took action to get their customers back, and more from there.
[/quote]
I've never used the feature of emailing people on your msn, infact my MSN account email doesn't even exist anymore, the domain expired. The only reason I will countinue to use hotmail is because my ebay, paypal, and many other things are tied to it, and Gmail is in beta. I much prefer Gmail now, even though I find the room ridiculous and will moderate my mail nonetheless.
June 24, 2004, 11:27 PM
Sargera
MSN Messenger...
June 25, 2004, 1:17 AM
j0k3r
That's what I meant, you can use something other than @hotmail.com for your email, and the domain I was using for mine expired, so there is no actual email tied to it and it doesn't help my hotmail at all.
June 25, 2004, 2:33 AM
iago
I have 3 email addresses that I regularely use (technically, around 5, but my CS email forwards to my normal university account, and I've never bothered trying to access e1 email). I have one @valhallalegends.com, one @backstab.ca, and one @cc.umanitoba.ca They're great, and I don't want/need any others :)

Some day I'd like to set up my own mail server, though, just for academic reasons. Pedogogical reasons, or whatever they're called.
June 25, 2004, 6:40 AM
idoL
Hey, it's free - I won't complain.
But I don't E-Mail alot anyway, I won't need the 1Gig.
June 25, 2004, 12:03 PM
hismajesty
Speaking of the text ads here was what was displayed for me!

[quote]Related Pages
"A" Terms [The Jargon Dictionary]
Index of the A terms (from the hacker slang dictionary, The Jargon File)
info.astrian.net
The AOLer Translator
An online form translating English to 3NGLISH.
ssshotaru.homestead.com
[/quote] :P
June 25, 2004, 12:11 PM
j0k3r
Hotmail is teh pwn!!1
June 25, 2004, 12:50 PM
asdf
The upgrades are nice.
June 25, 2004, 11:32 PM
TeEhEiMaN
haha awsome!
June 26, 2004, 1:54 AM